Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-01-2012, 14:25   #1
sbhaven

Biden: Trayvon Martinís Death Should Spark Gun Law Debate

Biden, speaking on CBS Face the Nation, "said the death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin should prompt a debate about gun laws"...
Quote:
“It’s important that people be put in a position where their Second Amendment rights are protected, but that they also don’t, as a consequence of the laws, unintendedly put themselves in harm’s way,”

“The idea that there’s this overwhelming additional security in the ownership and carrying concealed and deadly weapons…I think it’s the premise, not the constitutional right, but the premise that it makes people safer is one that I’m not so sure of,”

“I’m confident the people of Florida will debate and discuss whether or not this law, the Stand Your Ground law, whether is being applied as it was intended to [be] applied and whether or not as intended it makes sense, ... But that’s a decision for the state to make.”
Biden: Trayvon Martin’s Death Should Spark Gun Law Debate
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/bide...un-law-debate/

Last edited by sbhaven; 04-01-2012 at 14:27..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 14:55   #2
steveksux
Massive Member

I think the quoted portion makes complete sense.

Find out what happened in the TM/GZ case. Once you see if justice was done, or an innocent man crucified, or a guilty man allowed to get away scott-free after a homicide, then determine did the law work as intended, or should it be revised in light of this presumably unforeseen situation based on the outcome.

Depending on how that comes out, you may need more protection for self-defense shooters, you may have too much protection, at the expense of innocent people involved in a horrible misunderstanding. Time will tell. Either way, seeing if the law needs to be refined is a good thing. When have lawmakers gotten it absolutely right?

Quote:
I think it’s the premise, not the constitutional right, but the premise that it makes people safer is one that I’m not so sure of,”
After having a few road rage shootings involving motorists with CPL's in MI, the premise that a pistol makes you safer in all situations is indeed one I'm not so sure of. I think there may be a tendency for a pistol to make stupid people stupider. That said, if there's any way someone's found to identify those people ahead of time to screen them, I'm all ears. But stupid people do have a right to defend themselves too, so not sure you can deny them a right on the odd chance they'll misuse it in a one in a million situation.

Biden did say the state should make that call, I have no problem with that.

And for the record, I think every case of an innocent victim of a robbery/homicide in Chicago, DC, or New York ought to trigger a reexamination of THEIR concealed carry laws also.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 04-01-2012 at 15:09..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:25   #3
DonGlock26

They finally found the right dead black kid after passing up thousands.
What a sick political party the Democrats are.

_
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:30   #4
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:32   #5
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGlock26 View Post
They finally found the right dead black kid after passing up thousands.
What a sick political party the Democrats are.

_
You need the right tool for the job Beavis.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:38   #6
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Stand up for Chuck!
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:39   #7
Brucev

I would love to see the squatter pushing for a gun law... any gun law. It would really help a lot of the middle of the road gun owners make up their minds to vote Republican. Here's hoping the squatter and his fellow domestic terrorists come on out with a really expansive gun control agenda that they can stand up and push during the upcoming election cycle. With the House and Senate in play... it could give Conservatives and Republicans just was we've wanted for so long... complete control of the legislation! Just imagine... passing laws over the screaming of pleosi and the veto of the squatter. Voting down his attempts to nominate political hacks to pack the judiciary. Bring it on! Bring it on! Bring it on!
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:43   #8
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

what a baffoon. the hundreds of blacks shot by other blacks every year in gun restrictive cities like chicago and wash d.c. mean nothing to him.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 15:48   #9
HoldHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
I would love to see the squatter pushing for a gun law... any gun law. It would really help a lot of the middle of the road gun owners make up their minds to vote Republican. Here's hoping the squatter and his fellow domestic terrorists come on out with a really expansive gun control agenda that they can stand up and push during the upcoming election cycle. With the House and Senate in play... it could give Conservatives and Republicans just was we've wanted for so long... complete control of the legislation! Just imagine... passing laws over the screaming of pleosi and the veto of the squatter. Voting down his attempts to nominate political hacks to pack the judiciary. Bring it on! Bring it on! Bring it on!
Be careful what you wish for....

HH
Old 04-01-2012, 15:58   #10
snerd

Right after we have that national discussion on race.
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 16:13   #11
Berto
woo woo

They're going to pimp this for whatever mileage they can. Fortunately, some folks can see this.
Old 04-01-2012, 16:15   #12
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Let's have job requirements for POTUS instead.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 18:50   #13
Bruce H

The only debate is how a worthless asshat like Biden is ever elected to office.
Old 04-01-2012, 18:56   #14
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

I agree with Joe Biden, this incident should re-open a gun debate about whether 9mm in a KelTec Pf9 is adequate.

The run on arms and ammunition has caused shortages here and there throughout the country... Keep up your supply, and do not neglect the 22 rimfire, which may well turn into the "ballistic wampum" I have spoken of the past.
-Jeff Cooper, 1/31/1994
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 19:05   #15
DOC44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I agree with Joe Biden, this incident should re-open a gun debate about whether 9mm in a KelTec Pf9 is adequate.
A 147 gr 9mm JHP at 1100 fps don't care what kind of gun it came out of, or maybe double tap with 9mm DRT.

Doc44
Old 04-01-2012, 19:09   #16
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
B'lieve that one got settled .......

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 20:22   #17
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I guess Obama's Ed McMahon is stepping in to do what Holder couldn't. I wonder what Border Patrol Agent Biden has marked for death?
Old 04-01-2012, 23:50   #18
Big Mad Dawg

Biden shut up your ignorance is showing again.

Why so serious

If you donít have any horses you must saddle your dogs - Dr. Saad
Big Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 23:55   #19
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
The only debate is how a worthless asshat like Biden is ever elected to office.
Spending a few seconds in Delaware solves that mystery.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 23:59   #20
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Well, it's good to see democraps in the regime drop their pretenses and come back out of the anti-gun closet.
Wonder what the board Obama-knobbers have to say now?
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote