Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:44   #61
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoney890 View Post
That makes a lot more sense as to why I cannot find a consistent yes or no on these types or rifles, and thanks for your input.

And what can I say, I'm a military brat raised to respect my elders. A quality that is lacking in todays times!
You're welcome! Glad to help.

lol @ military brat.

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:52   #62
bigmoney890

Well thanks again everyone for your input, i've actually decided to change my deposit towards a stripped lower at my LGS and do a build project. Once I get my taxes back in the next 7-10 days, ill start ordering all of the parts. I will make a thread to the build so everyone can laugh at the new guy
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:55   #63
Manimal

Quote:
Well thanks again everyone for your input, i've actually decided to change my deposit towards a stripped lower at my LGS and do a build project. Once I get my taxes back in the next 7-10 days, ill start ordering all of the parts. I will make a thread to the build so everyone can laugh at the new guy
Good luck! It's actually not that hard, and it is a whole lot of fun!

I just got done with my build: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...1400253&page=2
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56   #64
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Sounds like a much better plan. I'd still suggest paying a visit to Shooters in Fayetteville - probably more so since you want to go DIY.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:01   #65
bigmoney890

I will, i'vee been in there a fews times. They are pretty good guys.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:05   #66
Frog1

I wish Taurus would start making AR-15's. That would really get this forum rockin.
Frog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:06   #67
ratf51

Quote:
Excellent! I look forward to your thread-- those of us who have never done a build will not laugh, but we will let you make the mistakes so we won't have too.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:12   #68
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:

No one laughs at the new guy,.......tons of information, tons of advice,
Ya just gotta sort through what is BS, what is correct, & what will work for you.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:13   #69
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
No one laughs at the new guy,.......tons of information, tons of advice,
Ya just gotta sort through what is BS, what is correct, & what will work for you.
Well, we DO laugh at the new guy, but only when their failures to listen to sound advice bite them in the ass...
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:15   #70
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Great idea!

Building a lower is a 45 minute job for a complete new guy. It's that easy. Just buy your upper complete (or semi complete & pick up BCG separately) and you are pretty much done.

Here is the video I used during my first build.

So easy. You will need a
- Brass & nylon jewler's hammer with brass punch (be sure to get brass).
- AR tool from amazon.com
- Simple screw driver multi-head set
- Simple long needle nose pliers
- Electrical Tape (covers up your receiver from damage while installing)
- Simple small vise w/ protected jaws from Harbor Freight (optional)

Total cost will be like $50 for these parts if you don't have them already. You will need them anyway down the road so just throw them into a bag and start your gun smithing setup now.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.

Last edited by Javelin; 04-07-2012 at 11:23..
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:24   #71
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Great idea!

Building a lower is a 45 minute job for a complete new guy. It's that easy. Just buy your upper complete (or semi complete & pick up BCG separately) and you are pretty much done.

Here is the video I used during my first build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4Kf...feature=relmfu

So easy. You will need a
- Brass & nylon jewler's hammer with brass punch (be sure to get brass).
- AR tool from amazon.com
- Simple screw driver multi-head set
- Simple long needle nose pliers
- Electrical Tape (covers up your receiver from damage while installing)
- Simple small vise w/ protected jaws from Harbor Freight (optional)

Total cost will be like $50 for these parts if you don't have them already. You will need them anyway down the road so just throw them into a bag and start your gun smithing setup now.

Thanks for the info. I have everything except the Hammer and Punch kit and the AR tool. Should be fun!
Old 04-07-2012, 13:10   #72
bmoore

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have everything except the Hammer and Punch kit and the AR tool. Should be fun!
MidwayUSA has both the small brass hammer and a punch kit, I think its about 20 bucks for both. Good decision to build.
Old 04-07-2012, 13:27   #73
Navitimer

Just to offer my opinion on some of the other posts... when it comes to AR-15s I prefer to stick with Mil-spec manufacturers. I would however give DPMS some credit when it comes to their .308 models, which IMHO are excellent and generally well-respected as far as semi-auto .308/7.62x51. DPMS competed for the military contract of what was eventually named the M110 (i.e., SASS - Semi Auto Sniper System), and my understanding is that they came in second place behind Knight's SR-25, which costs substantially more. I did a lot of research before I got a .308 semi-auto, and ended up with the DPMS SASS and have had a great experience with it. It's an absolute tack-driver, and the rifle is much more accurate than am I.
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:40   #74
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navitimer View Post
Just to offer my opinion on some of the other posts... when it comes to AR-15s I prefer to stick with Mil-spec manufacturers. I would however give DPMS some credit when it comes to their .308 models, which IMHO are excellent and generally well-respected as far as semi-auto .308/7.62x51. DPMS competed for the military contract of what was eventually named the M110 (i.e., SASS - Semi Auto Sniper System), and my understanding is that they came in second place behind Knight's SR-25, which costs substantially more. I did a lot of research before I got a .308 semi-auto, and ended up with the DPMS SASS and have had a great experience with it. It's an absolute tack-driver, and the rifle is much more accurate than am I.
I have a DPMS SASS 7.62 and it is pretty decent for what it is. Tac driver - definitely...

but the downside is that DPMS charges almost $2K for a decently built rifle!
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Old 04-07-2012, 21:50   #75
Navitimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I have a DPMS SASS 7.62 and it is pretty decent for what it is. Tac driver - definitely...

but the downside is that DPMS charges almost $2K for a decently built rifle!
There's some decent places on the I-net where you can score the SASS for around $1,700. IMHO it is a very good value for what you get, especially compared to its competitors. That said, I think CMMG recently brought an AR-10 style 7.62 to the market, which is even less than the DPMS. Please note that I've never seen one or held one or shot one in person. I can however rep for the DPMS - compared to its competitors I believe it to be an excellent rifle for the cost (and a tackdriver at that!).
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 13:14   #76
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

You should've stayed with the ORACLE!!! I would say is one of the best setups that DPMS has ever made for cheap!

Wait did you change your mind?
Old 04-09-2012, 13:51   #77
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g30another600r View Post
You should've stayed with the ORACLE!!! I would say is one of the best setups that DPMS has ever made for cheap!

Wait did you change your mind?
The OP changed his mind after listening to several voices of wisdom and reason.
Old 04-09-2012, 14:14   #78
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navitimer View Post
There's some decent places on the I-net where you can score the SASS for around $1,700. IMHO it is a very good value for what you get, especially compared to its competitors. That said, I think CMMG recently brought an AR-10 style 7.62 to the market, which is even less than the DPMS. Please note that I've never seen one or held one or shot one in person. I can however rep for the DPMS - compared to its competitors I believe it to be an excellent rifle for the cost (and a tackdriver at that!).
Naw. Colt and LMT are both making the 7.62 in that price range now.

Old 04-09-2012, 19:35   #79
bigmoney890

Thanks again for everyone's input and words of wisdom, I've decided to do a built, and here is the link for the Project: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...3#post18823543
Old 04-09-2012, 20:25   #80
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Thanks again for everyone's input and words of wisdom, I've decided to do a built, and here is the link for the Project: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...3#post18823543
Good call bud, you won't regret it. Just me, but I'd pass on the BAD Lever, at least for now. Learn the rifle in standard form first. And some people love it, but personally, I can't stand the damn thing. Don't care much for having obstructions within the trigger guard.

As for the upper, you mentioned the $500-$600 range...

$600 is enough to get a BCM basic 16" upper in carbine or midlength, their full-auto spec bcg, and gunfighter charging handle.

Again, for now, try not to get wrapped up in accessories. Keep it simple, spend the money on quality core components, and learn the platform.

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote