SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 00:42   #1
4TS&W
2A RKBA 4EVER

Anti gunners

In the course of your experience, what kinds of challenges have those who take anti-self defense positions (ie: antigunners) put in front of you, or people you know, and how have you/they dealt with them most successfully?

This is meant to be a broad question, including in courtrooms, media interviews, debates, confrontations on the street, legislative battles, or anything else you can think of.

Where do you think most pro self defense advocates fail where they could easily win?

Obviously logic and reason are out...
4TS&W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 20:17   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

4T, I agree with almost everything you wrote, but have to respectfully disagree with your last sentence. Logic and reason -- along with research -- have proven to be our strongest weapons (no pun intended) in the fight for gun owners' civil rights. The powerful US Supreme Court decisions in Heller v. District of Columbia and McDonald, et. al v. City of Chicago show that to be irrefutably true.

We'll never convince the most vehement anti-gunners with truth; they've already seen the truth, and rejected it because it collides with their ego investment. But facts, reason, and logic ARE winning for our side, slowly but surely, in the courts, in the legislatures, and in the "court of public opinion."

Suggestions? Keep the answers short and powerful, as close to "sound bite format" as you can. This GATE section in GT is geared for short answers, but I can offer you this, from Backwoods Home magazine, where I've been firearms editor for several years: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob45a.html

Wishing you luck and thanking you for being an advocate for gun owners' civil rights,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 00:48   #3
4TS&W
2A RKBA 4EVER

I work to be at least the casual advocate, by keeping up with the latest, and dispelling misconceptions, wherever they may be found. Thanks for the link, I laughed at the 2 inch barrel quip. Memorable soundbyte format for sure!

I live in the state of Illinois, therefore advocacy almost comes with the territory. IL is now the ONLY state left with no provision for a citizen to carry a firearm for self defense, open or concealed, and gunowners here are more than just a little irritated about it.

We are eagerly awaiting the court decisions on the Shepard v Madigan case, among others. One IL county passed Vermont carry, turning the tables, using state preemption laws to our advantage for a change. I heard that was shut down by the sheriff somehow. It still feels like Illinois gunowners are like the Jews wandering in the desert with Moses.

The logic and reason crack was meant to be tongue in cheek, thus the smilie, because it is all we ever rely on, being that it falls on deaf ears of our political leadership. It just doesn't fit the liberal democrat agenda that runs Chicago, Cook, and to some extent, the whole state.

Our Rep in the State house appears to listen very fervently, seeming to agree with most if not all of the points we make, as we make them. I dropped a copy of John Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime" off at her office (probably went straight in the garbage.. but what the hell). She then makes a beeline for Springfield, voting against a shall issue bill the next opportunity (it almost passed anyway). Her campaign is bought and paid for by the anti-gun speaker of the house, Mike Madigan. The only way to negate her stance is to get her fired in the next election, which I will do my best.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by 4TS&W; 04-07-2012 at 00:49..
4TS&W is offline   Reply With Quote