Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:45   #1
flw

Apartment size preparedness- help starting

For those living in apartments where space is limited and there is not land or out buildings, could sommeone point me to a downsized plan or starting point?

I realize it depends on the area I live in and the number of days or weeks I am planing for so lets assume this is for one person per day.

Apt only and car with locked trunk

So for instance who much water/general meds/first aid/food is need for one person, per day ?

I have M9 knife for cutting metal fences and tree's but its big for every day use. I bought it for a different purpose. Self defense will be another post.

What may be good barter items?

flw
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:24   #2
glockguerilla

"What may be good barter items?" Perhaps cigarettes and booze. I'd think carefully about bartering ...in what situations in SHTF.
glockguerilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:42   #3
cyrsequipment
Angry

Start here. It is a publication by the Mormon Church (in the even someone talking about their religion offends you) it is a great starting point.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20859980/LDS...s%20Manual.pdf

Last edited by cyrsequipment; 04-06-2012 at 13:42..
cyrsequipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:06   #4
flw

The Moron church link seems to be a very good start. It will take some time to do so.

Thank You
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:16   #5
alabaster
Swollen Member

Well, how much do you really need to eat? Water is a different story. You can make a bigger mistake in how much food you need than how much water. I think having ways to collect n purify water is as good or better an idea than stocking up on it. That goes for all prepping, IMO. Living off the land makes it easier to travel light. Guns n ammo. You can even make shelter and collect plants to eat n hunt, etc if it gets really bad. But make sure you have a spare parts kit for guns, cleaning kits, ammo n loading supplies, etc.

If SHTF, people will be looking for the same things you are. Food, water, meds, party supplies, guns and ammo, etc. Having some extras are gonna be btter than precious metals, IMO because gold n silver aint worth sh** to someone who needs to eat. If you have access to the world market, that's different, because you can really trade internationally. I just don't think most of us will have that ability if it really goes down. I'd recommend getting yourself a few good survivalist books and practicing everything from hunting to medical procedures. Making shelter and purifying water, too.

I actually think it's kinda fun. I like outdoors activities and living off the land, though. Practice enough so you can go camping with nearly NOTHING except your dog(A good partner MIGHT work as a substitute). Now that's fun. I'm working on a 30 day trip now. I'm planning it out and woking out details. I wanna go out with about a 60lb pack and stay gone for 30 days with NO contact with civilization. I just worry I might like it too much n stay gone....
Old 04-06-2012, 14:21   #6
Protus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
For those living in apartments where space is limited and there is not land or out buildings, could sommeone point me to a downsized plan or starting point?

I realize it depends on the area I live in and the number of days or weeks I am planing for so lets assume this is for one person per day.

So for instance who much water/general meds/first aid/food is need for one person, per day ?

I have M9 knife for cutting metal fences and tree's but its big for every day use. I bought it for a different purpose. Self defense will be another post.

flw

I live in a 1100 sq foot 3 b/2b . Reason is my job.I get free housing Anyway.
In that 1100 sq feet, i have 1 years worth of LTS for 3 people. 100+ gallons of h20 stored. 2 full pantries of shortterm foods ( wet packs,self canned foods).
I have a dedicated "prep" room. with a 4x6 walk in. Eevery closet in the place is full. But if i took pictures of the rest of the place you'd never know it.

A plan , water and food are key, but protection is a MUST.

Something i wrote back in 07'.About apartments and survival. Hope it helps.

Choosing your apartment!

Yes just like a home you have to shop for one. There are many factors that go into choosing a complex, just like a home ,area and location . The best bet once you find one you like is to see how they are set up. The easiest way is to walk a unit. Most places do this anyway as part of their "sales" routine. Ask questions. While most leasing agents are nothing but A/C sponges you can get good info out of them! Ask questions about the area, but be sly about it. There are laws that permit them from telling you exactly if the property is " loud" full of crime etc. So use your best fishing techniques here. This will help you get some vital Intel on the AO. For example, ask the agent if they live on property. Better yet ask if they have 24 hour emergency maintenance, what is their response time? The agent may say " fast ,since they ALL live in sight.." . this will help later on!

Now you must also ask about the apartment itself. What kind appliances gas or electric. IMHO gas is the better way to go, and ill explain why. If there is a power outage you will still have Hot h20 and be able to cook! Now this may vary from each complex, But the H20 heaters are run purely on gas, the stoves gas/electric. This means you'll have to light the stove by hand each time, no big issue at all! There is a downfall to this ill touch on later.

You also want to ask about the building construction. The agent may not know, but you can ask that they get you in contact with a maint. tech to help you. If you can get the tech alone even better. This is one more person you can fish info out of. Most techs I've worked with will talk, because we are a disgruntled breed Just ask basics, like whats the building made out of , wood or metal studs? sub floors or solid concrete? You get the idea, and always, always read your lease!!!

Few last things on choosing one. Call the local PD and get a crime report on the AO, this will help locate problem areas not only at the complex but surrounding areas. Ask for one every few months and make a map. This will give you the "trouble" areas to stay away from now and during an EVENT. Make sure the unit you pick is in a good area of the complex. I prefer bottom floors. They are easy to move in and out of, and if its a major event it gives you some over head protection. They have their downfalls though, and like the appliances ill explain more later on.

outfitting your apartment

There are many ways you can do this. But unlike a true BOL you can only do so much. In all honesty, an apartment is not a long term event housing option. But for most of what we will be dealt it will do fine.
Security.

This is the first item to check. You've hopefully already done the AO back ground check's, and did some hands on Intel such as riding the property at night,walking it on foot and driving through the surrounding areas. Once your moved in purchase some window locks. These can be as simple as thumb locks or bars. If the window design is a certain way they make Plexiglas window stops. I like these as you can place them in the corners and they are not seen as easily as a thumb lock or bar. You then want to put a lock on the front door. DO NOT get the chain set ups. These are worth less! If you get any type of door bar set up. get a full bar or the style that most hotels have these days. Make sure that when you secure it to the frame you use long enough screws( 3 inch) so you can get into the door frame itself and the studs that box it in. The screws supplied will only grasp the trim, and that rips off with little force. These items are more for "feel" good security and wont stop a person wanting to get inside. They may however give you those few seconds needed to arm and protect yourself and family, and call for help!

If you do own firearms, you'll want to have a safe. I feel that larger bolt down safes are not needed . They are to large, heavy and draw unwanted eyes when being unloaded and installed. The basic stack on/wall locker style will work or a smaller "real" safe will do fine. Secure it anyway you can to the walls,floor etc. Just remember you are renting so do not damage the walls and floor to much. You may get charged later on. Once your safe/locker is installed pick a time to move your firearms over. This is where you do not want the world seeing what you have. On my recent move i unloaded all my ammo the day before. I then chose to move my firearms over at night. Even then i chose to bring them in 1-2 at a time in a over seas bag. Watch your surroundings. Even though it is dark, check to make sure that nosey neighbor isn't looking or worse any "thugs".
Well now we have your firearms in place, some basic simple security items installed, now what?
The items i said to install are just examples. There are MANY MANY ways to secure your unit and not draw unwanted attention.

Getting your preps

If you are just getting started, it may seem like a big task. It really is not that bad. You must stick to basics, food,water,shelter. While you have a roof over your head it may be wise to get a BOB and a PLAN started in case there is a long term event.
Until then, start preparing your unit. There are many times where you have limited space. While i agree that you can use buckets as your bed post, table legs etc. I do not feel this needs to be done.

Water, is the most basic item you need to have, and one a lot ask how to store when renting. I feel that for short term events that the renter should invest in some 15 gallon water barrels and a few good 5-7 gallon jugs. These are large enough that even if you make it out with only one, you will still have basic water needs for one person for 5-12 days. They are small enough that you can BO with them with out the need for a dolly or 3 sets of hands!

You can store water in many ways. Water barrels and jugs being the easiest, then 12-16oz water bottles by the case. The case water needs to be rotated every 1-2 years. This is not a big issue, but 6 months of bottled h20, takes up twice as much room as 1-3 water barrels! The best bet, in my eyes is to mix it up What i have is 50+ gallons of bulk water, and one to two cases of bottled water. The bottles are always used first, in a short term event, the bulk water later on. These can be slid under beds,couches etc. Use your imagination, stuff it where it can go!

You will read that you can get h20 from your hot h20 heater. DO NOT depend on this source for water. In most apartments the heaters are hard to get to. You will also need to shut off the incoming h20 before the event or during so it is not contaminated. The major downfall is that these heaters are not New! You may not be able to turn off the h20 all the way, resulting in a flood. The drain valve may not work at all or be clogged shut. It may also leak. Combined with a bad shut off your gonna have water issues for sure! So DO not rely on them as a 100% source.. Shut off the incoming h20. Then use the h20 in there as a last resort. It would also be wise to treat and filter it once you get to using it!

Make sure you have a means of filtration and treatment. I stock on hand for cleaning and for my h20 2 gallons of unscented bleach. I also have on hand several filters ranging from a basic survival straw to a hand pump backpacking filter. Once moved in do some searching to find the nearest natural water source. That canal or creek may save you one day!

Food

For the apartment my advice is to stock what you eat, and then some. As I said above apartment living is not for long term, events. That doesnít mean you can not stock like it though. When you stock your food, buy items that you will eat. Make sure that they have a shelf life of 1-3 yrs. Most can goods have this. This way every 1-2 yrs you can rotate. This helps on your food bill and keeps you up on your food inventory. Your basic food stocks should last you at least 2 weeks before you have to dive into your stocks. If planned right you can combine the two on a rotation . Doing so keeps you stocked with fresh items year round. If you are serious about living this lifestyle you may opt to store food items the way you would for long term. This is fine to do also. This means that youíve stocked once and let it ride! The main issue though when stocking food items this way is space. A six months supply of just rice alone will take up a lot of space and weight- something to remember if you are on the 2nd floor or higher.
With food comes the means to cook it. If your apartment has that gas range it is an easy no brain er to continue cooking as normal. I would suggest that you do purchase some sort of alternate means to cook. Be it a small camping propane stove or a dual fuel Coleman stove. This way, if gas lines are damaged you may still be able to cook your food and boil water. A few basic cooking items to have , which can be part of your normal kitchenware are these. Cast iron skillets and pots are rugged indoor and outdoor items. Money is well spent here as once you get a dedicated BOL or move you have a complete ready to go set. A stainless steel pot, these can be used to boil rice, steam veggies, boil large amounts of water. If your near the ocean or rivers you know a little crab/mud bug boil would hit the spot! A basic set of knives and utensils is a must. Buy decent quality stuff. If your budget is tight, hit up your local thrift stores, Ive found PLENTY of event gadgets and tools on the cheap there. Ranging from dehydrators, to grinders to knives!

Odds and Ends

Now that you have your basic water and food stored now what? I'm going to go over a few items and ideas that may help out a new comer or an apartment dweller. During an event you are going to want to be as informed about your AO as you can. This is just not listening to the radio or patrolling at night with those Gen 1ís you got from SG. As soon as an event happens make sure you make contact with your property manager. While some events wont warrant this, most that we will encounter will. You will want to notify them that you are alive, the amount of damage to your unit and what plans you have.
This way your covered, and so are they. This is where as a renter you want to know your states land lord tenant laws and the exact wording of your lease. One way to ensure that your covered can be to purchase renter insurance . While not perfect it may help recoup any cost from having to replace damaged items.
Know your neighbors. Even if you do not like them at least meet them. While you may form bonds during an event, I would suggest that you meet them before. Neighbors at a apartment complex are a good source of Intel on what is going on. It may be simple gossip but it may give heads up on what the management is doing. Like I mentioned earlier techs and leasing agents will let folks know at times what is going to happen before the higher ups do. Get to know the techs at your complex. During an event they may be able to help you out. Not just with repairs but with info, parts, and favors and tools. While all these means are not perfect they can give you that little extra time to get a hold of the situation.

A Plan

You must have a plan. No matter the event if you plan to prep you must have some sort of a plan. Living in an apartment makes this even more of a vital link to your survival.
Apartment dwelling and long term survival is like oil and water. It will not happen with out a whole lot of shaking! While you make the best of your apartment life, work on a better plan. This may include networking, with other like minded folks. Joining a group or moving to a better suited location that fits your needs. No plan is perfect, but make one that fits your needs, not mine or anyone Else's. Even the simple task of choosing your apartment should be part of your plan. Remember up above, when I said bottoms floors. You have two roofs to go through to get to you. Be it rain, wind, floods, and Radiation! Remember location, are you out of a flood zone, farther inland away from surge areas, closer proximity to main highways and roads that may help you escape the urban areas come an event!
Get a BOB. yes as an apartment dweller your gonna need one.

Stuff

Below is a list of stuff that I feel a renter should have on hand. These can also be used in your home or BOL.

Basic tool set Ė sockets, wrenchís, screw drivers, razor knife etc
Hammer- 20 oz + do not get a 16oz
Duct tape
Plastic sheeting
Drywall screws
Nails- finish and framing
5 gallon bucket
hand saw
hack saw
cordless drill with 2 batteries
extension cord
sewing kit
FAK- first aid kit
Rope-50ft
toilet plunger or auger

This is a very basic list. But can fix most of anything you may need to during an event. This is also where networking with the techs come sin handy. You may need an extra roll of tape. Trust me when I say that during an event like a hurricane. If a tech can hand you the tape, plastic and such and you perform the work while he goes to more important repairs he will be a happy camper! You then make out with some extra stuff to repair your place.

Where does that go

Where do you put all this stuff? Well sometimes you will not be renting a 2800sq foot wonder unit, so what do you do? There are many ways for you to store stuff in your unit.
For example. I have a small linen type closet in my computer room. Inside this closet is some preps. They include 5 gallons or Coleman fuel, 2 gallons of lamp oil, 5 small oil lamps, rubber maid container with batteries, a basic FAK kit, 30lbs of rice, 10 lbs of elbow noodles, extension cord, extra door and window locks, angle grinder, battery charger and some paint. This closet is 6 ft tall , 12-15 inches deep and 2ft wide. Ive shoved a lot into it for a reason, to hide it. That may seem silly, but my old place didnít have closetís like this one. You would have seen that stuff sitting on my bedroom floor!
This same room has a 6x6 walk in. Inside here I have my bulk water storage, bulk ammo storage. And 9 large rubber maid totes containing everything from family camping gear to my grab and go totes. There is also some other items in there that take up the shelves at head level. Iím lucky to have these now. But before I ad one 2ft deep by 7 ft closet to fit all my preps.! My unit looks like a mini bass pro shops store. Fishing and outdoor painting on the walls, and that sort of decor. The reason being is that when i have company over and they happen to peek into a room or such or see a prep item it doesnít shock them. They can walk in see my backpack( BOB) and figure out I hike/hunt. Those antique oil lamps are preps but they sit on my dresser in my bedroom. Do you see what I am getting at ? While outta sight outta mind works. Sometimes when you have limited space you have to incorporate preps into your home dťcor! Funny isnít it!

Protecting yourself and unit during and after an event

I touched on some ways to secure your unit earlier, but how do you protect it. There are many way a renter can protect his unit and its contents. During events it is crucial that if you BO you protect what is yours. This is pretty hard if you are not there, but with short term events you can take measures. Renters insurance is a cheap way to protect belongings, or at least replace them after an event. I donít trust this really but it is a means of protection. The best way to protect your unit is by protecting yourself and having a plan. If you decide to Bug in, it is really event dependant on how far you go to protect your unit. In most cases you will be protecting your self from the environment and criminalís . This is a time when your preps will pay off along with that Intel you hopefully did before moving in. By having your preps you will not have to leave your dwelling, unless of course its destroyed. This way you can limit contact with the criminals and other hostile folks after and during an event. Trust me they are there, and it wont be your typical thug, it may very well be that farther of 4 or the soccer mom that is having a mental breakdown because they have had no power for 4 days!

Your now bugged in. If the weather and event warrant it I would take measures to harden your unit. This is hard to do since you donít own it. But you can plan ahead. You can pre cut and store ply wood under your bedís and couches. These pieces can then be placed over your windows. I would suggest for protection that its ĺís the size of the window. This way you can open the window yet still have air flow. You can also drill 1 inch holes in the wood and make it a full sheet. This way light and air pass through. Make sure you secure them good. Use 2.5 or 3 inch screws or lag bolts. This is where asking the techs and such what the units are constructed of ! While this is not a perfect set up it will help you stay a Lil more secure than just glass! This is also where your firearms may come into play. While i feel that in an event you should be armed . When living in an apartment and in short term events make sure you are 100% of your local laws on self defense and use of a firearm. Watch your back and do not flaunt your well doing in front of folks. This is hard to do at times. We prep hard and are proud that we are doing well while others suffer. Donít flaunt your fancy cooking on your porch while others are hungry or havenít had a hot meal in days. Watch what you say in front of passers by and coworkers. If the event does last more than a few days or weeks, you wont be able to trust many folks around you! This is where a Plan to BO comes into play and why I feel that apartments are not for long term!
Protus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 14:40   #7
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

I think your starting point is this book:

Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness, by Arthur Bradley.
Old 04-06-2012, 14:46   #8
Protus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I think your starting point is this book:

Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness, by Arthur Bradley.
is this the guy who you posted showed salt had a shelf life......
Old 04-06-2012, 16:08   #9
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

tagged.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 16:39   #10
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protus View Post
No.

Bradley doesn't mention a shelf life for salt in his tables.

AFAIK, shelf life for salt is indefinite.

Last edited by Bolster; 04-06-2012 at 16:43..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 16:43   #11
Protus

Quote:
No.

He doesn't mention a shelf life for salt.

Were you thinking, if he did, that would invalidate the book?
havent read the book so i cant say. I know you posted some shelf life numbers from someone who were WAY off. I just cant recall who, and if it was that guy....well i'd prolly read his book just to see where, how or why he says what he does...

i see your edit.
Like i said i dunno who the guy is or his book. Ive only read 2-3 "survival " books the last few years..survivalist family irrc by joe fox ( which is pretty dang good) and ferfals...but then again prep style stuff is popular now so it doesnt surprise me if there is a new book each year since 07'

Last edited by Protus; 04-06-2012 at 16:46..
Old 04-06-2012, 16:45   #12
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

I modified my post to be less combative but you insta-quoted me anyway. Oh well, I tried to be nice(r).

I have been pulling a lot of shelf life numbers from this website:

http://shelflifeadvice.com/

I would assume they are madly conservative, like most sources. They don't have the prepper's "can I still eat it?" perspective, they have the housewife's "will it still have the best taste?" perspective.

Last edited by Bolster; 04-06-2012 at 16:46..
Old 04-06-2012, 16:48   #13
Protus

Quote:
I modified my post to be less combative but you insta-quoted me anyway. Oh well, I tried to be nice(r).

I have been pulling a lot of shelf life numbers from this website:

http://shelflifeadvice.com/

I would assume they are madly conservative, like most sources. They don't have the prepper's "can I still eat it?" perspective, they have the housewife's "will it still have the best taste?" perspective.
naw your cool.. i didnt get riled up by what ya posted. i j ust happen to log in ,,and reply i didnt know you edited till i posted.
It's cool man.
Old 04-06-2012, 16:52   #14
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Like i said i dunno who the guy is or his book. Ive only read 2-3 "survival " books the last few years..
Hm, well if I were to pigeon-hole this Bradley book, it would definitely be on the prep side, not the survival side. He's not into any fantastical scenarios from movie plots, he's more of a cautious family man with a sizable intellect and the ability to see where our nation's headed--yet he avoids political discussions and sticks to the subject.

This is the book that I've seen recommended the most amongst the prepper crowd and finally got my own copy to see what it's like. It's solid. You might find it too basic if you're an advanced prepper. It has an almost "textbook" feel to it but it avoids the marginal recommendations of, for example, a Rawles book, which recommends you buy a bulldozer and a private island, etc.

Last edited by Bolster; 04-06-2012 at 16:57..
Old 04-06-2012, 17:05   #15
FireForged
Millenium #3936

If I have to bug in... I will have to live off of many gallons of peanut butter, rice and tuna. Nothing fancy and I believe it will sustain me for a while.
Old 04-06-2012, 17:28   #16
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Folks,just rethink your space.There is a ton of ways ta store a bunch of stuff in a confined space.Replace bed frames with cases of food/ect. Same with furniture and other types of stands.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 22:44   #17
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
If I have to bug in... I will have to live off of many gallons of peanut butter, rice and tuna. Nothing fancy and I believe it will sustain me for a while.
I predict you're gonna need to stock a whole lotta toilet paper for that.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 22:45   #18
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
I predict you're gonna need to stock a whole lotta toilet paper for that.
Au Contraire, mon frere: He's going to be locked up solid. He won't need any TP for weeks.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:06   #19
Protus

Quote:

This is the book that I've seen recommended the most amongst the prepper crowd and finally got my own copy to see what it's like. It's solid. You might find it too basic if you're an advanced prepper. It has an almost "textbook" feel to it but it avoids the marginal recommendations of, for example, a Rawles book, which recommends you buy a bulldozer and a private island, etc.

never saw or heard about it except on this forum( and i hang out at all the larger ones). Then again i dont consider myself a prepper but a survivalist

i will look into it. worse case i pay it forward to someone new.Most of these books just cover old topics with a new spin from what ive seen.

Oh you got it wrong with JWR it would be more along the lines of.
You must have the following Radio-yaesue-2 meter-one each per person.

though a dozer and a private island would be nice....LOL
Old 04-07-2012, 05:12   #20
Protus

One more thing that can help when you rent.
If you are on the ground floor. Find out where the sewer clean outs for the building are.
If you stuck there and the system backs up( lets say power outage or you have a lift station that gets jammed). YOur neighbors will continue to flush and run water. This will then start to flow into your unit. Gravity works here against you.
You will need to open those clean out caps or swim in the sewer mess.
Now...i wouldnt do this unless its a full blown, no workers, office closed, zombies, 4 weeks no power type scenario.But it is something to keep in mind.
Same goes with knowing not only where your water shut off's for your personal unit are, but also the building you live in. If the sewer system is down..one way to limit its overflow rate is to turn the h20 off...... again........no power, week 5, zombies...mzb's, and space clowns before you do it... do not just run out the 1st 24 hours and attempt this.

Last edited by Protus; 04-07-2012 at 05:13..
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30   #21
Babynine

Never underestimate the stupidity of the neighbors living in the same apartment building as yourself.

I once lived in a large 16 unit building with townhouse-type apts and attached garages, and everything had fire sprinklers. But the resident manager (landlord of sorts) had put a cigarette butt out in a dead potted plant on her balcony. She then left to go to a holiday dinner.

Half an hour later there was 30 foot flames roaring through the roof of the second floor apartments! The alarm did not even go off untill minutes before the flames were reaching 30 feet high. And the sprinklers did nothing as the fire started on the managers balcony.

This was years ago, and I already had my bag packed. I was out the door in one minute. Thankfully no one was injured.
Old 04-14-2012, 18:59   #22
Glock Man_G19

I hope this site can help...

http://apartmentprepper.com/
Glock Man_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 22:53   #23
Chindo18Z

Quote:
Rule of thumb for 1 person @ moderate exertion (light hiking, camp chores, etc.) for 1 day in a mild temperate climate: 3600 calories per day = about 2+ lbs of food (dry/soaked weight less juice) plus 3 quarts of drinking water.

For comparison, a US military MRE meal contains about 1250 calories x 3 = 3750 calories per day for a Soldier.

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mres.html

3600 calories...That's a sustainable allowance that allows you to perform moderate daily work or physical activity. If you are doing strenuous labor (long distance hiking with heavy pack, all day cold weather hunting, ski touring, mountain climbing, heavy construction, triathlon, farm work, etc.)...you'll need to increase calories to anywhere from 4500-9000 total per day.

In a previous life as a paratrooper, I routinely subsisted for many days in a forested field environment on two MREs per day plus three quarts of water. I always lost some weight, but I could maintain that daily caloric/water intake for weeks at a time...while carrying a heavy load and marching many miles.

Every pound of already stored body fat will give you about 3500 calories to make up for intake deficit...until all your extra body fat is gone. Meaning that if you don't eat, you will lose about a pound per day of body weight.

Calories are more important than weight. A pound's worth of canned green beans floating in their canning juice provides very few calories; a pound of peanut butter and crackers provides a lot. Read the labels on everything (for calorie totals) and stock what you eat. Most package/container label "serving" sizes are 1/3 to 1/2 of what an actual hungry person is going to consume at one sitting. Plan accordingly.

In hot weather, you'll need 1-2 more daily quarts of water. If you are not acclimated to the heat, your water intake will initially go sky high (especially if you have to be out in the sun). After about 4 weeks of exposure to a hot climate, your body will adjust to a more normal intake of about 4 quarts per day. I found this to be true of any hot climate, whether hot/humid jungle (Panama @ 87 F) or hot/dry desert (Iraq @ 129 F). Required hot weather water intake is minimized by doing work in the evening hours and staying in the shade during the day. There's a reason most hot weather cultures have a "Siesta" time...

BTW: That gallon (+/-) of daily water is for drinking and food prep only...forget bathing, flushing, washing clothes/dishes, etc.

If you are simply holing up in your apartment, plan on 2500-3000 calories of food and 3 quarts of drinking H2O per day, per person (adult).

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Chindo18Z; 04-15-2012 at 12:04..
Chindo18Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 22:54   #24
FerFAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post

flw
Get over barter items, it only works in movies and fiction.
If you still want to do it then check this video I made on some of the things you just might want to consider, but again, just dont freaking waste money on barter items!
For food and water, space will be your greatest problem. When I lived in an apartment I made the most of soda bottles, stashed them everywhere, incudling the freezer so as to preserve food when lights went out.
It was pretty safe all things considered. Solid construction and after adding a bulletproof reinforced door and burglar bars to windows the thing was a freaking fort.
You want to find alternative ways of heating and cooking which can be tricky in an apartment.
Get a handgun if you dont have any weapon, forget about long guns for defense in an apartment. Unless you are Donald Trump chances are you'll bump against walls in your place. Yes, you can use a long gun in close quarters of course, but for most apartments a handgun will be more handy.
Most of all, spend some of your time and energy in having other nearby or further away locations to go to if you must, friends and family, and maybe relocate some of your supplies with them just in case.
An appartment isnt that bad a place to be, not ideal but not that bad either, especially if its in a good part of town where you are safe and its not costing you a kindey to pay for.
Quote:
And listed knives as less than lethal weapons along with pepper spray.
FerFAL

Last edited by FerFAL; 04-14-2012 at 22:56..
FerFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:52   #25
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Good thread.
I missed it the first time.
Stumbled across it while looking for something. It should get a bump for all those people who are living in Apartments.