SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-08-2012, 18:24   #1
Indy_Guy_77
Thread Killer

CAR System / Jeff Johnsgaard / Natural Tactical

Just curious if anyone has heard of any of the above?

I've been invited to take a 3-day class by the above-named trainer teaching the CAR System as developed by Paul Castle.

CAR system = Center Axis Relock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_Axis_Relock

I admit almost complete ignorance of all the above...

Thoughts? Opinions? Worth the money for the class?

Thanks!

-J-
Indy_Guy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 18:57   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Central Axis Relock is an interesting concept, and as you've apprently gathered, a rather radical one. I discussed it with its developer, Paul Castle, before we lost him too soon. Took a short class on it with one of his instructors. There was some stuff I liked (application on weak-side barricade firing with the strong hand, for instance), and some I didn't care for. Any class you take is going to be like that.

I don't believe I know the CAR instructor you mentioned, but my advice would be, go ahead and take the class. Keep the elements that work for you, and set aside the elements that don't. As Bruce Lee put it so eloquently, "Absorb what is useful."

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34   #3
Indy_Guy_77
Thread Killer

Mr. Ayoob,

I greatly appreciate your input on this.

I did a little bit of quick Googling on the method; found that it was rather panned as a gimmick / parlor trick.

I can certainly see that side of the aisle, but I can also see where, especially to a LEO / Military, it could be a viable tool.

I was alerted to this classy by a Federal Air Marshall. One of his higher-ups / training coordinator is bringing Mr. Johnsgaard in for the class. It's going to be mostly FAMS, at least one small-town LEO...and maybe me. I'm nobody...just a guy who wants to keep himself & his family alive should the need arise.

Hoping that through GT and a similar info-gathering post on another forum I frequent that I can at least get a handful of opinions from "those in the business" on whether I'd be wasting my time and money or not!

Again, thank you.

-J-
Old 04-10-2012, 07:47   #4
Indy_Guy_77
Thread Killer

If anyone else reads this:

Just a few minutes ago, I spoke, by telephone, with a rather well-respected member of the firearms training community here in the US. He was able to provide me with a little bit of history behind the development of CAR...as well as explain a little bit of the rather niche application of it.

His general opinion was much that of Mr. Ayoob's above: If after the class, you decide that it's all bunk....it's still trigger time; and there's a chance that a drill or two can be applicable to other methods/situations.

-J-

Tags
car system, natural tactical, paul castle