Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-08-2012, 19:09   #1
gatorglockman

Beretta 92FS vs M9

Okay.....did a prior thread on Beretta. I am close to pulling the trigger on a NIB Italian made 92FS that I can get a very good deal on where I moonlight (I get a pretty good employee discount).

That said, I served in the Army and carried an M9 so it has some sentimental value to me.

I am not an expert on the differences between the pistols except for the finish and that the M9's are made in the US. I can get the 92FS for about $50-60 less than the best deal I have found on the M9.

Feedback, opinion or guidance?

"If you seek peace, prepare for war"
And that is why it is called 9mm parabellum
gatorglockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 19:23   #2
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

The big difference is in the grip, where the beaver tail is. The 92fs usually has more of a radius there than the M9. The 92fs dust cover is slanted, whereas the M9 is flat/straight.

This is not always the case, because I've seen 92fs' built with M9 frames at the chain retailer.

The front sight blade on a 92fs is fixed to the frame. I'm not sure about an M9's.

Shipwreck should be around soon enough to give you the rundown. He's the resident 92-addict. :D

Have you considered either a 92A1 or M9A1? I believe they have a picatinny rail and dovetailed front sights.

Last edited by JaPes; 04-08-2012 at 19:28..
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 23:05   #3
TalkToTheGlock
Zombie Hunter

I am shipwreck junior.

I have a bunch of 92fs and a M9.

I like the grip better on the M9. That extra radius makes the gun sit deeper in my grip. It feels better.

Also, the markings are a lot nicer on the M9.

Some people will say fit and finish are better on the Italians. I don't see the difference in fit at all. Finish I would give the slight edge to the Italian, but it might just be my mind olaying tricks on me.

I carry my M9 mostly in the winter with a shoulder rig under a zip up hoodie and I an comfortable with it.

I put around 1,000 rounds through my 92fs and 1,500 through my M9. Both are accurate and a oleasure to shoot. I do however like the feel of the 92fs trigger more. Feels more crisp.

My opinion... Snag a 92fs Italian now before they run dry. I am a sucker for pistol manufactured in Italy. And since it is cheaper, that's a plus!

iPhone 4
TalkToTheGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 23:09   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

The only difference that matters to me is the is the M9 does not have all the roll markings of the civie 92fs version.

I dont need "do not point gun at your own head" and "will fire bullets" stamped all over my gun. Put that crap in the manual, not on the frame of the gun.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 23:12   #5
TalkToTheGlock
Zombie Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
The only difference that matters to me is the is the M9 does not have all the roll markings of the civie 92fs version.

I dont need "do not point gun at your own head" and "will fire bullets" stamped all over my gun. Put that crap in the manual, not on the frame of the gun.

That's one thing I hate about my all of my 92fs. It especially ruins my INOX for me. I love that gun, but when I see the right side I cringe.

For looks, the M9 wins with markings.

iPhone 4
TalkToTheGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:38   #6
Navitimer

I went through the same analysis a few months ago, and ended up with the 92FS-A1, which is the latest version with an accessory rail. They also make an M9-A1. There are several differences as the other posters have mentioned. I believe there is a sticky thread on a Beretta forum (just do a google search for the forum - I can't recall the actual name). I also believe the Beretta website has a .pdf you can download that breaks down the differences. Have fun in your search! That's one of my favorite parts of getting a new firearm is learning so much about the different models, features, etc. Hope this helps.
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47   #7
gatorglockman

THX gents. I know the Beretta will be like a Lay's potato chip...once I get one, I will want another. For the price diff and savings, if I do this, I will wade in with the 92FS I think.

"If you seek peace, prepare for war"
And that is why it is called 9mm parabellum
gatorglockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48   #8
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

See, I prefer the 92FS with the curved dustcover and the rear strap indentation over the M(. I have small hands - that little bit of difference on the rear strap brings my hand closer to the trigger. Not much difference, but it is noticeable.

I can tell the difference right away when I hold them both.

I bought a 92FS built on an M9 frame last year - just because I collect 92s. But, it's not my preference for the frame.

I also do not care for the dot and post setup of the M9 - I like the 3 dot sights of the 92FS better.

Here are some pics, though...

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by Shipwreck-The-Sequel; 04-09-2012 at 08:48..
Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25   #9
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I much prefer the radiused backstrap of the 92.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:44   #10
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

No collection is complete without a Beretta 92.

Old 04-09-2012, 17:20   #11
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
No collection is complete without a Beretta 92.

Or 6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:50   #12
Alizard

I recall that Beretta guaranteed interchangeability of key parts (slides, barrels, locks, etc) on the M9 but not on the 92FS. In other words, tolerances are held better on the MIL gun.
Alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 18:02   #13
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizard View Post
I recall that Beretta guaranteed interchangeability of key parts (slides, barrels, locks, etc) on the M9 but not on the 92FS. In other words, tolerances are held better on the MIL gun.
That's a new one to me....
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 18:08   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck-The-Sequel View Post
See, I prefer the 92FS with the curved dustcover and the rear strap indentation over the M(. I have small hands - that little bit of difference on the rear strap brings my hand closer to the trigger. Not much difference, but it is noticeable.

I can tell the difference right away when I hold them both.

I bought a 92FS built on an M9 frame last year - just because I collect 92s. But, it's not my preference for the frame.

I also do not care for the dot and post setup of the M9 - I like the 3 dot sights of the 92FS better.

Here are some pics, though...

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
My really old 92FS looks like the M9 frame. Have they changed over the years?
Old 04-09-2012, 18:08   #15
.45Super-Man

I have older92fs as well as a few newer ones. While I do like the aesthetics of the original more, along with the all metal parts, the newer model with radiused backstrap DOES feel better in the hand. While it's not a huge difference, the radius is perfectly placed and is noticeable. And while I cant offer up any proof, the newer version feels just a tad heavier at the muzzle.
Old 04-09-2012, 18:21   #16
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog Scout View Post
Or 6.
That's just daring Shipwreck to pull out the infamous "Wheel of Beretta" pic.
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 18:33   #17
maniDAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog Scout View Post
Or 6.
Very well said and YES thanks to this forum i am a proud owner of 92FS.
maniDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 18:39   #18
.45Super-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizard View Post
That dog wont hunt.
Old 04-09-2012, 18:50   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The minor cosmetic differences between the two variants don't really mean much to me at all.
Old 04-10-2012, 00:42   #20
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
My really old 92FS looks like the M9 frame. Have they changed over the years?
Yes. The slanted dustcover is something that evolved from the straight one. Supposedly, it's to help maintain the strength and service life of the frame. They did this in the early 90s for the .40 caliber 96s. And since the 92 and 96 use the same frame. Though you still see some 92s pop up with the straight frame, like we did last year (contract overruns I believe). If the military specs and contracts weren't set in stone, there could be no more straight dustcover 92s made. But I for one prefer the look of the straight dust covers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Sheepdog Scout; 04-10-2012 at 00:45..
Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote