Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:15   #1
snerd

BREAKING: NO GRAND JURY in Trayvon Martin case

Very strange turn of events. So does the prosecutor think he has enough evidence to continue without one?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/no-g...e-20120409-APX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18   #2
snerd

More........
Quote:
"The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case," Corey's office said in a statement.

The grand jury, set to convene on Tuesday, was previously scheduled by the former prosecutor.

Corey previously said she has not used grand jury's in cases like this and added that from the time she was appointed she said she may not need a grand jury.

The decision about whether or not to charge George Zimmerman in the case now rests with prosecutors.

"At this time, the investigation continues and there will be no further comment from this office," in the statement.
The decision means that the timetable for any possible charges remains up in the air.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/09...ion/?hpt=hp_t1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18   #3
RCP

Love how the story reports that he was "gunned down" by George Zimmerman.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19   #4
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

With the "edited 911 tape" being previously released, and all the controversy it caused, I say the whole case will be dropped.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24   #5
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Love how the story reports that he was "gunned down" by George Zimmerman.
I didn't link to many sources that still ran with the "innocent skittles lad" angle. Yellow journalism, it's what's for supper.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:36   #6
callihan_44
INFIDEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerd View Post
Very strange turn of events. So does the prosecutor think he has enough evidence to continue without one?

hmm, interesting how this will play out. If not guilty of any crimes get ready for riots.....or zimmerman will be thrown under the bus for the good of the country.
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:

Never mind (see below)

Last edited by Bren; 04-09-2012 at 10:56..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:51   #8
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
The prosecutor cannot proceed without an indictment - not presenting it to the grand jury usually means there isn't enough evidence to warrant a grand jury and the prosecutor is dropping the charges.

She can choose to drop the charges or present it to a later grand jury, but she can't choose to go ahead with a felony charge without the grand jury.

EDIT: Actually, there may be a way around it in Florida, alhtough I don't think they could charge murder. Still looking at this.
Thanks, good info. Perusing the DU this morning, it looks like they have just the opposite opinion...... a guaranteed conviction!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:56   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Thanks, good info. Perusing the DU this morning, it looks like they have just the opposite opinion...... a guaranteed conviction!
Sadly, they may be right and I may have jumped to a conlcusion that would be true in KY, but not Florida.

It looks like, in a Florida state prosecution, you only have an absolute right to a grand jury for a capital crime, so something like a manslaughter charge would not require it.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56   #10
marchboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by callihan_44 View Post
hmm, interesting how this will play out. If not guilty of any crimes get ready for riots.....or zimmerman will be thrown under the bus for the good of the country.
They MUST bring Zimmerman to trial. If not, there will be riots.

They MUST start the trial quickly or there will be riots.

If it goes to a trial, there MUST be a conviction or there will be riots.

If there is a conviction, there MUST be a long prison sentence or there will be riots.

And with all the crap by the MSM it will be difficult to find a jury that will be fair.

Apr 29...the 20 yr anniversary of the '92 Rodney King riots in L.A. A riot brought about by blacks who didn't like the findings of the jury.
The obama administration and the democrat party...the ultimate in domestic corruption and dedicated to the destruction of the United States.
marchboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:59   #11
walt cowan

darwin invented the 7.62. true story.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:06   #12
CAcop

I think they are going to charge him directly. The grand jury would be used as a fig leaf for not charging him.

My prediction is a second degree murder charge and then the jury will convict him of manslaughter.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07   #13
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

What this whole thing is about, is to send America a message: "Don't fight back against rioters or 'the legal system' will hamstring you".

Like all 'products' of the left, it was badly done and coming a cropper .....

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10   #14
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
I think they are going to charge him directly. The grand jury would be used as a fig leaf for not charging him.

My prediction is a second degree murder charge and then the jury will convict him of manslaughter.
I agree. I don't think the prosecutor in Fla needs a grand jury to indict unless it will be a capital case, but I could be wrong.
czsmithGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:21   #15
oldman11

Let me start off by saying that no one wants a riot or riots. On the other hand we will not be intimidated by the threats of a riot (or should not be). From what I am hearing, the elected officials are actually thinking about attempting to convict an innocent person because they are AFRAID not to. A lot of politicians are AFRAID of the consequences. Since when did we Americans give in to fear?
oldman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:26   #16
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Prior to the amendment to Section 10 of the Declaration of Rights of the Constitution of the State of Florida, F.S.A., persons charged with a felony were tried on indictment by a grand jury. By amendment adopted in 1934, except for a capital crime, a person may be tried for other felonies upon information filed by the prosecuting attorney of the court. Thus, in 1934 a prosecuting attorney of the court became, in effect, a one-man grand jury.
Widener v. Croft, 184 So.2d 444, 445 (Fla.App. 1966)
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29   #17
marchboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
Let me start off by saying that no one wants a riot or riots. On the other hand we will not be intimidated by the threats of a riot (or should not be). From what I am hearing, the elected officials are actually thinking about attempting to convict an innocent person because they are AFRAID not to. A lot of politicians are AFRAID of the consequences. Since when did we Americans give in to fear?
The only thing politicians are afraid of is not getting reelected. They couldn't care less about this case.
The obama administration and the democrat party...the ultimate in domestic corruption and dedicated to the destruction of the United States.
marchboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40   #18
jeager

The AUDACITY of that volunteered for, appointed-not-elected Grand Jury!
jeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:38   #19
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
Since when did we Americans give in to fear?
Probably around the time we started frisking our grandmothers and teenage daughters in airports.

You say "we Americans" as if this phrase has any meaning in 2012, as if we are more than a tax farm managed by sociopaths.

The notion is quaint, and certainly appealing, but does not match up with even a casual observation of our actual surroundings.

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 13:04   #20
MoneyMaker

Hope he walks,,,, i dont see any large scale riot,justa few idiots in florida that will aget a beat down and it will be over
MoneyMaker is offline   Reply With Quote