Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2012, 19:55   #1
NevadaBob

S & W pistol recall question

I bought a lightly used S & W model 669 9mm semi (1980's) and found out that there was a recall issued because of a defective safety. It exhibits the problem described in the recall.
I called S & W and they are sending me a return slip. I'm not sure if I want to go through the "wait" associated with a return to the manufacturer. Do you think this problem could be fixed by a local gunsmith? Thanks for any help!
NevadaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:26   #2
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Send it to Smith. It won't take long....and they won't charge you...a local gunsmith, assuming he can do the work, will.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:31   #3
NevadaBob

I am prepared to pay a few bucks to have it fixed locally. I'm just not sure if I want to go through a long wait. Several weeks, that's OK. But I've heard the horror stories with some manufacturers because they're "busy busy". Thanks for your insight.

Last edited by NevadaBob; 04-09-2012 at 20:31..
Old 04-09-2012, 22:28   #4
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Smith will take care of you, especially for recall work. Would be surprised if it was two weeks. Best CS in the industry, IMO.

I had a Smith 1911 with which I had an issue. Was pretty sure it was a mag problem. I sent it to them to check it out and be sure. Couldn't find anything wrong, but they replaced all the springs and polished the feed ramp and did a couple of other small touch ups and returned the pistol to me with 4 new mags in about 10 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:15   #5
NevadaBob

That is excellent customer service!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09   #6
ggarciatx
Cold War Sailor

For one thing,

It will be done by Smith & Wesson. There will be no question when it comes to the warranty if you ever need it. Don't know if they would void a warranty if someone else works on it for you. I had to send them a 5906 once and it was filthy. It came back to me spotless and with all new springs. They are top-notch. Let them handle it.

In Memory of my Father Jose C. Garcia USMC 2ND Marine Division WW2. Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, Okinawa and Occupation forces of Japan. 4th battalion/10th Marines :usmc:

Last edited by ggarciatx; 04-10-2012 at 09:10..
ggarciatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:32   #7
Bruce M

I had sent to Smith and Wesson an M&P. It was back in a bit more than a week and the trigger was appreciably smoother than when it went. Depending on how busy your local gunsmith is, it might actually be faster to send to to Smith and Wesson.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35   #8
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Yep, send it back to S&W, they know what the "problem" is and how to fix it and they've got the parts on hand. A local Gun Smith would have to figure it out, order parts and then install them and he'd charge you for the work and parts. Much cheaper to let S&W do their thing and fix the gun for you. JMHO, YMMV.

Last edited by TN.Frank; 04-10-2012 at 09:35..
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:23   #9
NevadaBob

You guys rock, that's what I'll do. I'll dig this thread up when it comes back and report in.