Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2012, 23:20   #1
tua05737

Advice on 9mm Luger with Unique

I Wanted to get your thoughts on load data for 9mm Luger with alliant unique powder? What's the Max n how much do u run?
tua05737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 23:23   #2
country85

I'd love to know this too. I've got about 200 rounds of 9 brass laying around and a pound of unique, these 9's need some go boom dust lol
Never give in, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. - Winston Churchill
country85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:20   #3
DoctaGlockta

Folks here will help but they will need some more info. Specifically what type and weight of projectile you will be using.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:18   #4
country85

I've got some 115 gr fmj's laying around I've been wanting to do something with, I was thinking a starting load of 3 to 3.5 grains
Never give in, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. - Winston Churchill
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45   #5
talkglock

if your going to be reloading, you really should be getting one of the reload books that are out on the market. No disrespect to anybody here on the board, but how would you know if somebody was giving you bad numbers?

Books only run like $30-50 if i remember correctly
talkglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:57   #6
country85

I have many a reloading manual, but not every load is in a book, but I also make many a load that you will never see in a book, I.E find me a manual that has data for unique in a 223 rem, no disrespect intended but hell half the time if you look at 3 different manuals your gonna end up with 3 different sets of data
Old 04-10-2012, 08:01   #7
ron59
Bustin Caps

When I'm in the OPs position, the first stop I will make is at the powder manufacturer's site. They usually have loads that give me a ballpark number to look at, at least.

Next stop might be Brian Enos' site. Hey, this is a great site and I spend more time here than there, but they have more reloading info over there.

Secondly, I will just do a Google search like this:

9mm 147gr Precision Delta Unique

(replacing the bullet type with whatever I'm using) and see what sort of hits I get.

I will double-check recipes against each other, trying to find multiple (from different sites/sources) that match each other. And of course I have a chrony and will start at the low end and work up. I usually only shoot mid-range loads anyway.

I'm all about books, but reloading recipe books? Not so much. They usually don't have anything that the powder manufacturer's site doesn't have. I'd rather spend that money toward another 1k primers or something.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:22   #8
ColoCG

I usually load 120gr. cast TC and 124gr. TCHP Berry's and FMJ with 5gr. of Unique.I get great accuracy and performance out of this load. If I was going to load 115gr. bullets I would use the same load. I would start the load at about 4.5gr. and work up slowly.
Max charge as always is gun and bullet specific. Alliant lists 5.8grs. as max with the Speer 124gr. Gold Dot loaded to col of 1.12".

Last edited by ColoCG; 04-10-2012 at 09:17..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:51   #9
tua05737

I've been loading berrys 115gn fmj. I started at 5.4 n found a pretty comfortable load at 5.5 gn of unique. I just wanted to see if nebody else out there used similar numbers.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45   #10
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tua05737 View Post
I've been loading berrys 115gn fmj. I started at 5.4 n found a pretty comfortable load at 5.5 gn of unique. I just wanted to see if nebody else out there used similar numbers.

If you didn't know what the max load of Unique was, what made you pick a starting load of 5.4grs.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58   #11
tua05737

I read a few different numbers online that we're all in the 6gn range. Also read a range of starting loads around 5.4gn. An educated guess?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:24   #12
ColoCG

Quote:
I read a few different numbers online that we're all in the 6gn range. Also read a range of starting loads around 5.4gn. An educated guess?

Just curious. You might want to pick up 2 or3 reloading manuals. You can't always believe what's on the internet.

For instance the Lyman reloading manual shows a starting load for the 115gr. jacketed hp as 4.4gr with a max of 5.8gr of Unique. I would imagine those 6+grs your talking about are loads that have been worked up slowly for an individual gun.

Lyman also list's the load I listed as a max charge with a starting load of 4.5gr. which I recommended.

Well I am glad it's working out for you so far.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:31   #13
tua05737

This might be a dumb question but that data is for JHP n I'm using FMJ and i would imagine there is a difference in load data?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:37   #14
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCG View Post
Just curious. You might want to pick up 2 or3 reloading manuals. You can't always believe what's on the internet.
In my view, you can't EVER believe what's on the Internet. If it isn't published in a book or on a powder manufacturer's web site, it must be back-checked against published data.

There were two specific loads given out on this forum yesterday and one was above the powder manufacturer's maximum and the other was below the minimum. At least, as I read the load data...

We all have our work practices and I tend to be pretty conservative. I want to see the data written in a book or published on a powder manufacturer's web site. Otherwise, the data is just so much Internet noise.

Richard
Old 04-10-2012, 13:54   #15
fredj338

Quote:
I Wanted to get your thoughts on load data for 9mm Luger with alliant unique powder? What's the Max n how much do u run?
The max is what YOUR gun tells you it is. Look @ 5 diff book max data, all diff. I'll just say you work your laods up & Unique will likely get you comfortably into +P vel w/ all bullet wts. In the small volume/high pressure 9mm case, OAL really matters quite a bit, so JHP & FMJ data can vary quite a bit depending on bullet shape.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-10-2012 at 13:56..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 14:04   #16
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
In my view, you can't EVER believe what's on the Internet. If it isn't published in a book or on a powder manufacturer's web site, it must be back-checked against published data.

There were two specific loads given out on this forum yesterday and one was above the powder manufacturer's maximum and the other was below the minimum. At least, as I read the load data...

We all have our work practices and I tend to be pretty conservative. I want to see the data written in a book or published on a powder manufacturer's web site. Otherwise, the data is just so much Internet noise.

Richard
Disagree.

Get a load book from 10 years ago.
Use the load book from the same publisher today. Guess what? Different load values.

Compare loads from books from different publishers. Different load values.

I would rather use REAL data from REAL users. At the same time, you have to be smart about it.

1. Use the appropriate powder for the task. For example, I wouldn't use TG if I was looking for 9mm max loads. Would probably go with WSF for that.

2. Vet your findings. Find more than one site/person with similar numbers.

Lastly... the example you gave that I bolded ?
If anybody went into those threads looking for a load, all they would need to do is read the entire thread. Guess what? Betcha somebody pointed out those numbers were questionable. There ya go... somebody looking for recipes THERE would realize they shouldn't use those numbers.

No, there is plenty of good data and info available on the internet. If you just blindly start pulling data, then you deserve what you get. If you research and then vet your info... you're good to go.

Quote:

Last edited by ron59; 04-10-2012 at 14:05..
Old 04-10-2012, 14:38   #17
DannyR

Per Sierra 2002, 4.9 to 6.6 gr for 115's. OAL 1.100
I'd suggest 5.6-gr for 1,100fps, a nice soft PF of 126.5
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DannyR; 04-10-2012 at 14:41..
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 14:59   #18
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Disagree.
Get a load book from 10 years ago.
Use the load book from the same publisher today. Guess what? Different load values.
And we know that the powder hasn't changed how?

I agree that the new numbers are lower but I also suspect there may be a reason. I get a better feeling about using today's powder with today's data.

And what's the point? I never load anywhere near max. As long as I am within the stated range and the rounds chrono somewhere reasonable, why would I look back to Speer #9 (Copyright 1979) for load data? Most of the powders that are popular today weren't even available in '79. Nor were some of the bullets we use today. And, yes, I have Speer #9. It's what I started with.

Quote:
Compare loads from books from different publishers. Different load values.
No two sources agree on anything. As I said yesterday, you go to sea with 1 compass or 3 but never 2. Pick a book that covers the cartridge/components of interest and work with it. Or pick a bunch of books and average them, I suppose. But I still worry about that outlier max load that is a full grain more than anybody else. How come?

Quote:
I would rather use REAL data from REAL users. At the same time, you have to be smart about it.
But that's the problem! For the most part people come here looking for load data and don't want to buy the books required to back-check the data. So, how can they be 'smart about it'? The only other data is from the powder manufacturer's site and, if they aren't using it, why not?

Quote:
1. Use the appropriate powder for the task. For example, I wouldn't use TG if I was looking for 9mm max loads. Would probably go with WSF for that.
As an experienced reloader, you are qualified to make that choice. But that experience level isn't universal and that is another problem. How many times do you see uberfast powders show up as recommendations?

Quote:
2. Vet your findings. Find more than one site/person with similar numbers.
I agree about back-checking with multiple published sources that have been peer reviewed by thousands of shooters over many years. But no one person has the equipment to pressure test any load that isn't within the range of something that is already published. All they can say is that the load hasn't blown up yet. In their gun... Assuming that their weigh scale and calipers were correct. And that they wrote it down correctly, that they said it correctly and that it was heard correctly. There are just too many opportunities for an individual to make mistakes.

Quote:
Lastly... the example you gave that I bolded ?
If anybody went into those threads looking for a load, all they would need to do is read the entire thread. Guess what? Betcha somebody pointed out those numbers were questionable. There ya go... somebody looking for recipes THERE would realize they shouldn't use those numbers.
I started to write a response just after the loads were posted. Then I thought that perhaps I wasn't reading the data correctly and decided to let one of the other readers ask about it. But loads may not always be back-checked.

Quote:
No, there is plenty of good data and info available on the internet. If you just blindly start pulling data, then you deserve what you get. If you research and then vet your info... you're good to go.
As long as the data falls within published ranges, it should be no problem. If it's clearly outside those ranges, it need to be approached with a great deal of caution. Or simply ignored...

Richard
Old 04-10-2012, 15:20   #19
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post

As long as the data falls within published ranges, it should be no problem. If it's clearly outside those ranges, it need to be approached with a great deal of caution. Or simply ignored...

Richard
Remember my post #7.

Where I had already stated that my first "go to" reference was the powder manufacturer's web site. That should give you some good starting info. That is manufacturer's info FOR FREE.

I have no problem buying books, but I just don't see the value for reloading recipe books. Or, if anything, I would get one of those "blue books" that is spiral bound from Midway for $15 that compiles all the other data into one place.

I've reloaded 9mm with:
Solo 1000
WSF
VV N320
TG

all with data I picked up either from here or Enos' site.
And as I said... I check any numbers from a reloading forum against the powder manufacturer's site for validity. AND I start on the low end. I almost always have to bump my 147gr load up just to reach 910 - 920fps which is definitely a mid-range load.

Works for me, can work for others.
The *blanket* "buy a book" position is what I have a problem with.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2012, 15:56   #20
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
...I've reloaded 9mm with:
Solo 1000
WSF
VV N320
TG
Ron- did you give me your load data for N320 & TG with 9mil/147s and .45ACP/230s. As you may remember, I am stuck on MG CMJ bullets.

Will you e-mail those to me?

k
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote