Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-10-2012, 17:18   #1
Jayock

Send a message via AIM to Jayock
Local robbery got me thinking

Hi Mas....

Been a while since I've asked a question here.

Ignoring the typical media mistakes (or possibly intentional sensationalism) I would like to share this article: http://www.9news.com/news/article/26...capture-family

Of course the report says "Machine guns", but with no rounds fired, we all know it could have been an AR in lieu of an M4. And we of course know that opening the door, even to the non-threatening-appearing female partner of these thugs was a big mistake. But it is notable that during the entry two co-conspirators broke in a rear window. But the part that caught my attention was the thugs yelling "Police, police" on their way in the door. I know that for me window breaches and forcible front door breaches yelling police, police, would certainly take me off-guard.

We obviously know the stories of police mix-ups, etc, and that is not at question here. My question is: How does one properly distinguish police in a home entering scenario from a bad guy(s). Should one try to stay barred up and call the operator? Look for the flashing lights outside? Look for the uniform?

In this specific iteration of the infinite "what if" continuum, what is the best way to determine threat from ally?

Thanks Mas!
Jayock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 19:50   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

[QUOTE=Jayock;18827454

We obviously know the stories of police mix-ups, etc, and that is not at question here. My question is: How does one properly distinguish police in a home entering scenario from a bad guy(s). Should one try to stay barred up and call the operator? Look for the flashing lights outside? Look for the uniform?

[/QUOTE]

You about nailed it right there, Jayock. History shows us that fake cops doing home invasions is a very rare thing, and fake cops doing home invasions on anyone but drug dealers is an EXTREMELY rare thing. Ya gotta play the odds, follow the excellent advice you gave above, and not engage what are probably incoming police officers with a lawful warrant.

It's perhaps the toughest question in the business, so you knew there would be no easy answers...

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:10   #3
Jayock

Send a message via AIM to Jayock
Thanks Mas.

A quick follow up. Is it appropriate to assume that any forcible entries by friendly LEOs would be in easily identified uniform, vests with large print, etc. Is it standard policy that plain clothed officers/detectives would at least adorn a well labeled vest prior to entry?

Additionally, I assume that flashing lights are not likely a good indicator. Since I don't believe I have any reason for the LEO to bash down my doors and windows, I assume it would be due to a mistake in location or address of a suspected BG. I can't imagine they would roll up sirens a-blazing and alert the BG of the coming events.

I suppose upon further thought, if 3 or more armed persons dynamically and simultaneously enter my dwelling from multiple entrance points yelling police, AND they aren't police, I probably have very little chance anyways, so I might as well err on the safe side and prey for the best.
Jayock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:05   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Can't "assume" nothin', bro.

A police warrant service team will normally be readily identifiable as legitimate law enforcement. However, lighting conditions etc. may make this difficult to determine.

Your last line is solid:"I suppose upon further thought, if 3 or more armed persons dynamically and simultaneously enter my dwelling from multiple entrance points yelling police, AND they aren't police, I probably have very little chance anyways, so I might as well err on the safe side and prey for the best."

I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt that "prey for the best" was a typo and not a Freudian slip.

Sadly, there are no easy answers for complex situations.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote