Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 20:13   #201
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitke15 View Post
Maybe I can get some help here as others have. I wanted to have more practice, on the cheap, for my glock 22 and figured I should start reloading lead, thus I bought a LWD .40 S&W barrel. I began reloading at 1.125 (Plus or minus as I am using mixed brass) same as my FMJ ammo I used in my standard Glock barrel. Attached is a picture of the lead I am using. I am constantly getting rounds that will not go plunk or even fit in the chamber more than halfway. I know that with lead you get a little more variation so I sent in my barrel to LWD to have it reamed and it was sent back with a note saying either A) Add more crimp or B) ammunition is to large. They would not bore it out. So I now have a barrel that I simply cannot use. I am not about to plunk test each and every round I want to fire. What would you guys , with experience, think is the best option? All reloads obviously work perfectly in the glock standard barrel but the tighter chamber in the LWD barrel is killing me.

Reloading
Reloading

Should I seat longer/shorter? I have tried another lead provider with same issues coming up. Just lost as to what to do.
Measure your crimp.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
Old 04-28-2012, 20:14   #202
alitke15

I am using the stock Hornady LnL dies. I might have to look into a secondary die and see if it works.
Old 04-28-2012, 20:14   #203
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Am I the only one that finds freakshow10mm out of line? Do you really find his opening and continuing statements excusable?
1) LWD barrels are notorious for short throats. Here he implies all LWD barrels are at issue when the truth is, only the 40's are his intent.
No. .40 S&W barrels are not my intent. I never stated that. I've seen problems with LWD barrels in most calibers. It's not limited to one specific caliber.

Quote:
He clearly states in subsequent posts his 45 barrels NEVER had an issue.
No, reread my posts. I stated I personally bought two .45 barrels. One of them I shot, the other I never shot. I never had a problem with the single .45 barrel that I had shot. I sold the gun (G30) but kept the LWD barrel in case I ever bought another G30. Why? Because the .45 ACP G30 threaded barrel worked for me.

Quote:
2) LWD employs crappy machinists. Yah right, we are the most successful Glock parts company since 1998, fourteen yrs running.... did it all on crap and nobody caught us until now?
Consistency is the measure of quality.

Quote:
3) I was a LWD dealer. The truth of the matter is, you placed 3 orders (years ago) each totaling LESS than our average retail sale. Why would you purposely attempt to elevate your relationship with LWD?
Again, you failed to read and comprehend my post. I have stated what I ordered from you directly; the G30 threaded barrel, the G21 "tactical length" barrel and matching tactical length slide. I think also a SS slide plate cover and maybe a few "3.5" lb trigger connectors. Reason I didn't order directly after that was I found a distributor that sold me barrels for cheaper than you offered me at dealer price. Again, read my posts again.

Quote:
4) Any statistics I offer are made up on the spot. Really? Yours are truth and mine are lies? Try pointing a finger at me.... notice three more on your OWN hand point directly back to you.
Point being a lot of the time when people post numbers they are exaggerated. When people state 99% this or "less than 1% of that" my experience tells me those aren't true numbers. I made a mockery of your numbers you used to illustrate this.

Quote:
5) You have a dozen customers using LWD barrels that will not accept ANY manufacture ammo except your own. Really? If this is true, please provide the spec these billion dollar companies fail to comprehend. You profess to build it, now show it.
You think a billion dollar company is concerned with an aftermarket barrel fitting their ammunition? That's the entire problem with the ammunition industry. We load for many different chambers in many different weapons and hopefully standardize one load to work in all of them. Those customers of mine using LWD barrels have ammunition loaded for them that is much shorter than the household name brand ammunition.

Quote:
6) Most anybody can get a Federal License. The fact that you (maybe) possess a license does not make you an expert ammunition manufacture!
Can you please show where I claimed to be an "expert ammunition manufacturer"? I've never made the claim in my life.

Quote:
You may have a similar license as Remington but that is the closest you will ever come, any other similarity stops right there.
Did I ever compare myself to Remington other than the license?

Quote:
I also found MANY threads in other chat rooms indicating you are no longer in business and have plenty of former customer complaints to deal with. I sincerely sympathize with your situation however find it inexcusable you would perpetuate virtually the same thing here.
I'm still in business serving my small local market, dealing with complaints in private, and being advised by a team of SCORE members.

The problem is you don't understand why customers buy your barrels and what they are doing with them. That's the issue. How are we to get it across to you when you don't listen to the complaints? As I stated in my original post, I truly wish LWD would address this and fix it. Even a simple addressing of the chamber size and possible incompatibility with certain bullet profiles with an offer to rechamber to fit for your current fee is enough. People buy LWD barrels for a reason, a reason you advertise on your site, and the product disappoints. Address it. That's all we're asking.

Quote:
LWD offers a true match grade chamber. We have zero issues with factory ammunition or reloads similar to Remington, Federal, Winchester factory loads.
If you are a reloader and have concerns regarding your load you can send us 4 or 5 dummy rounds (before the purchase) and we will custom cut your chamber (if needed) to fit your load. Thats right, send your loads to us before you purchase a barrel and we will pre-check fit for you.The cost to custom fit your load to your barrel is $30. This is a BETTER solution than any other because your chamber will fit your load exactly. You will not have a chamber that is max cut to fit everybody else's load.
This is what you need to put in the product description. Yes it's a lot of content on every barrel page, but those customers will be informed and have an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
I really don't understand Freak's issue with supposedly short throats. If the lead is hitting the rifling, you need to run a shorter OAL. WTH is so complicated about that?
Short in length is the easy part. Short in diameter means the lead bullet sized to match the groove diameter in the barrel is too large for the round to chamber. Size the bullet down and you'll get leading. Throat the chamber to the correct dimension to facilitate the proper lead bullet sizing to match the groove diameter, the problem is solved. LWD does not address this out of the gate, but will for an additional $30. I'm saying to address this to accomodate lead they advertise is going to shoot well in the barrel that it doesn't fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-28-2012, 20:24   #204
alitke15

My crimp at the very top (area next to lead bullet) is .423-.424
The round pictured actually chambers fine.

In the picture below I was using the seater on the right. Should I be using the one on the left? Both came with the die set.

Reloading
Reloading
Old 04-28-2012, 20:26   #205
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Maybe I can get some help here as others have. I wanted to have more practice, on the cheap, for my glock 22 and figured I should start reloading lead, thus I bought a LWD .40 S&W barrel. I began reloading at 1.125 (Plus or minus as I am using mixed brass) same as my FMJ ammo I used in my standard Glock barrel. Attached is a picture of the lead I am using. I am constantly getting rounds that will not go plunk or even fit in the chamber more than halfway. I know that with lead you get a little more variation so I sent in my barrel to LWD to have it reamed and it was sent back with a note saying either A) Add more crimp or B) ammunition is to large. They would not bore it out. So I now have a barrel that I simply cannot use. I am not about to plunk test each and every round I want to fire. What would you guys , with experience, think is the best option? All reloads obviously work perfectly in the glock standard barrel but the tighter chamber in the LWD barrel is killing me.

Should I seat longer/shorter? I have tried another lead provider with same issues coming up. Just lost as to what to do.
Slug your throat. Take a piece of soft lead and drive it through your barrel from breech to muzzle. Measure the outermost dimension. That's your groove diameter. Your bullet should be sized to this diameter.

Check your crimp. You should be measuring .420-.422"

Your OAL with the TC (truncated cone) bullets should be shorter. You want the shoulder of the bullet flush with the case.

This is a .45 ACP TC bullet, but gives you an illustration of optimal OAL for that bullet design. I measured the OAL of my dummy round for .40 S&W 180gr TC and it measures 1.085" OAL. Make a dummy round (just bullet and brass) seated with the shoulder flush. Do the drop test in the chamber. If it fits, start at the starting charge and work up slowly. If it doesn't fit, we can move along to address possible throat dimension issues.
Reloading

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-28-2012, 20:50   #206
alitke15

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
Slug your throat. Take a piece of soft lead and drive it through your barrel from breech to muzzle. Measure the outermost dimension. That's your groove diameter. Your bullet should be sized to this diameter.

Check your crimp. You should be measuring .420-.422"

Your OAL with the TC (truncated cone) bullets should be shorter. You want the shoulder of the bullet flush with the case.

This is a .45 ACP TC bullet, but gives you an illustration of optimal OAL for that bullet design. I measured the OAL of my dummy round for .40 S&W 180gr TC and it measures 1.085" OAL. Make a dummy round (just bullet and brass) seated with the shoulder flush. Do the drop test in the chamber. If it fits, start at the starting charge and work up slowly. If it doesn't fit, we can move along to address possible throat dimension issues.
Reloading
have no idea how to get lead to slug my barrel. I am not casting my own so not sure it would help. I will try seating lower. I think my main problem comes in at the middle of the case. that seems to be the thickest area once a new bullet is seated.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 04-28-2012, 20:55   #207
njl

If they won't even go half way in, OAL being too long isn't the problem...with that bullet shape and seating depth, the lead isn't hitting the rifling with the cartridge only half way into the chamber. Take one of the ones that doesn't even close to go all the way into the LWD barrel, and do some diameter measurements at the case mouth and a few points between there an the case head. Compare to the dimensions specified in your manual. My guess would be one of the following is your problem:

a) brass not properly resized
b) bullet diameter oversize
c) not enough crimp
d) seating depth is too deep, hitting thicker brass, making the cartridge too fat
Old 04-28-2012, 20:59   #208
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

You could try the other seater plug it might make a difference if the bullet isn't starting in the case straight?
You say it thickest at the middle of the case thats not a seating depth problem. if you rotate it and it is different where you say it's to thick and find you get different measurments it case bulge.
I just measured one of my 40 and its .422 at the crimp and below the crimp.
And it stays at .422 rotated all the way around "no bulge".
I'm don't think it's a seating depth issue if you say some do fit at that OAL.
Compare measurements to the ones that fit and the ones that don't and try to find the problem.

Bob
Back Yard Shooting Competition
Old 04-28-2012, 21:12   #209
alitke15

Brass its properly resized as it can easily fit in barrel with no bullet inserted and moves around freely. once I seat a bullet that is where the problem starts. I can definitely see more mass in the middle of the round mostly where it looks like the bullet ends. some round drop in without issue and others get snagged most of the way in.

Old 04-28-2012, 21:13   #210
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
have no idea how to get lead to slug my barrel. I am not casting my own so not sure it would help. I will try seating lower. I think my main problem comes in at the middle of the case. that seems to be the thickest area once a new bullet is seated.
Fishing sinkers are a quick solution. Otherwise I can send you some.

Reading that it's a dimension issue with the middle of the case, the bullet might be seated to push on the internal taper of the case making it bulge and not fit the chamber. Your brass might not be fully sized. Did you make sure you resized down to the shellplate/shellholder?

Old 04-28-2012, 21:14   #211
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Brass its properly resized as it can easily fit in barrel with no bullet inserted and moves around freely. once I seat a bullet that is where the problem starts. I can definitely see more mass in the middle of the round mostly where it looks like the bullet ends. some round drop in without issue and others get snagged most of the way in.

That sounds like your bullet is contacting the inside taper of the casing.

Old 04-28-2012, 21:18   #212
alitke15

Yes I fully resize. I can load fmj and have no issues with the lwd barrel. switch to lead and its hit and miss at best.

Old 04-28-2012, 21:20   #213
alitke15

The bullets are .630 in length +/-

Last edited by alitke15; 04-28-2012 at 21:21..
Old 04-28-2012, 21:22   #214
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:

You have a .630" variation in OAL?

Old 04-28-2012, 21:27   #215
alitke15

No the actual lead cast bullets are .630 in length. with the whole might be seating to deep I thought it my be useful info.

To be honest i am not 100% on my crimp/ resize. like I said I an new to lead and having issues.

Last edited by alitke15; 04-28-2012 at 21:39..
Old 04-28-2012, 21:41   #216
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
No the actual lead cast bullets are .630 in length. with the whole might be seating to deep I thought it my be useful info.

OK, I understand now.

Have you tried to load longer so that middle bulge is eliminated, then try chambering that round at whatever OAL? Might help to establish the cause. If you're getting a bulge in the middle of the case that might be the issue. If you load longer to eliminate that and still chamber, that may solve it.

Old 04-28-2012, 21:47   #217
alitke15

That was my thought but I was told by a fellow at a match right before I ordered my lead rounds that I should stick at 1.125 oal and not go above it.
What is the furthest I should even consider? 1.160 is the mag size limit if I recall correctly.
Just extremely frustrated with the whole thing as i can generally solve these problems myself.
Old 04-28-2012, 21:47   #218
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

Quote:

But are they .401 in width ??
If they are to deep try seating them at 1.130 to 1.135 OAL.
And check to make sure they are not out of round where you say their to big.
If some of them are fitting measure and see whats different from the ones that don't.
Cover the brass on a round that doesn't fit with a marker shove in the chamber, when it gets tight turn it back and forth. Pull it out then look at the round and you will see where the marker is worn off.
Your close if some of them fit ,you'll get it figured out

Bob
Back Yard Shooting Competition
Old 04-28-2012, 22:28   #219
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
That was my thought but I was told by a fellow at a match right before I ordered my lead rounds that I should stick at 1.125 oal and not go above it.
One size/dimension doesn't fit all.

Try a dummy at 1.130 and 1.135. If the 1.130 drops in, you're golden.

This is why I always advise to load at the longest OAL that will feed from the magazine and chamber in the barrel. Then start at the start charge and work up from there.

Figure your OAL first, which is what we are focusing on. Your ammunition dimensions to fit the chamber in your barrel.

Old 04-28-2012, 22:36   #220
Colorado4Wheel

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...owtopic=150305

It's common knowledge to most people.......

Closed Thread

Tags
38super, glock bulge is a myth, kkm rocks, lwd barrels, match grade glory, who's a democrat?