Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:18   #301
Bluescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Actually I got mine back several weeks ago. Total turn around was about 6 days. I give props to JR he kept in constant communication with me via email as to the status, even though he was on the road at a trade show or something. I apologize to him for not giving feedback promptly. Been to engrossed in my long gun stuff.
The barrel came back slightly over sized in the chamber and the throat was lengthened. I haven't had time to test with it lately. I did put 30 rounds through it a couple weeks ago functions fine with my 1.150 OAL loads now. POI seems unchanged, I'll be benching it this weekend and doing more reliability testing with dynamic movement.
I'm happy... Thanks JR

Did you get delivery confirmation that they received it?

When I sent those barrels off to LWD, I thought that this situation could possibly arise so I mailed it with a U.S. Postal Service Delivery Confirmation Receipt and also 1st Class. That service allows you to track the shipment online and to confirm delivery. I tracked the shipment and they indeed received it with a delivery confirmation back to me.

I have also sent a couple of emails to the armory there and there has been no response.

Actually, I'm beginning to think that my barrels are on a shelf somewhere due to my postings on this thread.
Old 06-13-2012, 13:28   #302
DoctaGlockta

I have two threaded barrels waiting there for my payment as they were back ordered. Wondering if I should complete the transaction. Appreciate the discussion here Gentlemen.

- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 06-13-2012, 17:42   #303
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescot View Post

Actually, I'm beginning to think that my barrels are on a shelf somewhere due to my postings on this thread.
Gee, he doesn't seem like the petty, vindictive type to me

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12   #304
Bluescot

Another week has passed and have not received answers to the 2 emails that I have sent them.

Puzzlingly............
Old 06-20-2012, 11:18   #305
Colorado4Wheel

PM him.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:55   #306
DoctaGlockta

I should have mine in a week or so. Just talked to them today. Will post when they arrive.

- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 06-22-2012, 02:25   #307
Vic Mackey

I almost bought a LW barrel thanks for saving me a headache Freakshow

After reading all the info and hearing JR's lack of interest to listen to his customers and Archer's attitude I have purchased a Storm Lake barrel thru midway for $139 (thanks Colorado). I shoot lead and do not need to waste $ on a barrel that is not going to work for my needs. Thanks again guys for the education - it is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:04   #308
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey View Post
After reading all the info and hearing JR's lack of interest to listen to his customers and Archer's attitude I have purchased a Storm Lake barrel thru midway for $139 (thanks Colorado). I shoot lead and do not need to waste $ on a barrel that is not going to work for my needs. Thanks again guys for the education - it is greatly appreciated.
Post back and let us know how you like it.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:28   #309
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Post back and let us know how you like it.
Yes please do. SJ 40
Old 06-22-2012, 10:37   #310
dkf

Fellow on another forum bought a new Storm Lake barrel and had issues with his reloads working properly. They dropped into the Glock barrel but not completely into the SL.

He was using 124gr Berry flat points at 1.160" OAL. I told him to back off the OAL and try again. I don't know why he seated the bullet that long but he backed it off to 1.095" and it fixed the issues he was having. Must have been just barely touching the throat because he said the round nose Berrys fit at 1.160" OAL.

Last edited by dkf; 06-22-2012 at 10:45..
Old 06-23-2012, 12:11   #311
MSgt Dotson

I have used a few LWD barrels, and expected the chamber tolerances to be a tad 'tighter', so was not surprised when my Glock 35's 40-9 conversion barrel would not accept my RNFP reloads at their current OAL due to too much full diameter profile of the bullet protruding above the case mouth. Reduced the OAL somewhat (1.12" OAL using Precision 115 gr RNFP bullets), reduced the charge accordingly, problem solved.

These barrels will also not always accept brass that has a case of GLock buldge just above the extractor groove, at least not all of it despite resizing with a properly adjusted Dillon 550 or 650, or even a Lee FCD, with still perhaps a 1-2% rejection rate as evidenced by rounds not quite dropping flush with the barrel hood.

If I recall correctly, 9mm brass measuring just above .384" in size just above the extractor groove stood a little above the barrel hood....

Calling otherwise match grade barrels defective becuase they will not accept bulged rounds or lead bullets loaded to too long of an OAL seems unfair to LWD....

Their barrels work great with factory ammo, properly resized brass reloads, and even with lead bullet reloads that have been slightly tailored to the LWD chamber ledge dimensions....

I run my GLock 20 with it's LWD .40 conversion barrel with 155 or 180 gr RNFP loaded to about 1.13" OAL...
Old 06-23-2012, 13:05   #312
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Bluescot: LWD received your barrel. It is a 45 cal. The discussion in this thread was pertaining to 40 & 9 chambers. You seem to be the only 45 chamber complaint? As is, our Armorer contacted you requesting a few sample loads so we could hand ream your chamber to fit your load "exactly". You told our Armorer samples were not needed, to simply ream it to the GT Hole. Unfortunately we did not have an oversized reamer on hand and are currently awaiting delivery.

MSgt Dotson: Your post is most appreciated, insightful and articulate indeed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-23-2012, 13:19   #313
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Bluescot: LWD received your barrel. It is a 45 cal. The discussion in this thread was pertaining to 40 & 9 chambers. You seem to be the only 45 chamber complaint? As is, our Armorer contacted you requesting a few sample loads so we could hand ream your chamber to fit your load "exactly". You told our Armorer samples were not needed, to simply ream it to the GT Hole. Unfortunately we did not have an oversized reamer on hand and are currently awaiting delivery.

MSgt Dotson: Your post is most appreciated, insightful and articulate indeed!
Hey JR,

I just wanted to say thanks again. I had a chance to run 35-40 rounds the barrel in a side by side comparison with my OEM glock barrel with both my moly and FMJ handloads.
Accuracy was comparable, freestyle at 25 yards with a IDPA target they were all centermass. The LWD barrel admittedly looked to be slightly tighter. I'm happy that I can run the same load in both my G34 and STI Spartan 9mm. The fact that the barrel is "hog out" is of no consequence, it's no looser than my OEM barrel and 9mm is cheap or in my case free.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Old 06-24-2012, 08:52   #314
Sierra9

JR,
I have had two of your barrels and one interface with your shop. I am also a long time reloader. I am happy with my experience with your company. I haven't looked at your web site lately, so don't know what exactly it says, but my only suggestion is to put in big bold letters that "unless your reloads with any kind of bullet are the same size and shape as factory cartridges there may be issues."
Some people here seem not to be reading for comprehension but rather for attack. I side with those that accept the notion that if you buy a barrel with a tighter chamber don't expect that out-of-spec (not the same as factory) reloads are always going to work. I think your offers here to customize your barrel to peoples reloads are more than fair. But your problem may be that when that reloader changes his process a little to try new bullets or whatever, he may be complaining again
Old 06-24-2012, 08:58   #315
Taildraggerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
I have used a few LWD barrels, and expected the chamber tolerances to be a tad 'tighter', so was not surprised when my Glock 35's 40-9 conversion barrel would not accept my RNFP reloads at their current OAL due to too much full diameter profile of the bullet protruding above the case mouth. Reduced the OAL somewhat (1.12" OAL using Precision 115 gr RNFP bullets), reduced the charge accordingly, problem solved.

These barrels will also not always accept brass that has a case of GLock buldge just above the extractor groove, at least not all of it despite resizing with a properly adjusted Dillon 550 or 650, or even a Lee FCD, with still perhaps a 1-2% rejection rate as evidenced by rounds not quite dropping flush with the barrel hood.

If I recall correctly, 9mm brass measuring just above .384" in size just above the extractor groove stood a little above the barrel hood....

Calling otherwise match grade barrels defective becuase they will not accept bulged rounds or lead bullets loaded to too long of an OAL seems unfair to LWD....

Their barrels work great with factory ammo, properly resized brass reloads, and even with lead bullet reloads that have been slightly tailored to the LWD chamber ledge dimensions...
This has been my experience as well. My Dillon 9mm die must be on the small side as all my brass fits, yet a buddy needs to use an FCD.

Overall very happy with my 40-9 barrel.

Take care,
Dave
Old 06-24-2012, 09:14   #316
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

The thread discussion included the .45 ACP, it was not limited to just 9mm and .40 S&W, though the majority of shooters use the two latter.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:54   #317
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
The thread discussion included the .45 ACP, it was not limited to just 9mm and .40 S&W, though the majority of shooters use the two latter.
That, and the fact that people will squeeze their 9mm down to a 32ACp to get it to fit and proclaim that they never have any problems. Then they accuse everyone else of attacking LWD. They seem to fit a pattern.

The other alternative is that the chambers vary from barrel to barrel, so some are fine, and some are too tight.

Either way, the product is sold based on some mythical incompatibility of factory barrels being able to use reloads, and the LWD barrel being the solution. In fact, much of the time, the opposite seems to be true. Add in JR's sunny disposition and high opinion of his customers, and the purpose of this thread is clear.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
Old 06-24-2012, 21:01   #318
Bluescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post

!
You are wrong again. I sent you TWO barrels both standard length, a 45ACP and a 40S&W. Hopefully you haven't lost the 40S&W barrel!!!!

After about 4 weeks of no communication it's good to finally hear that you don't have the reamer that you said mentioned in your offer. Kind of silly to make an offer and then not have the parts/equipment on hand to complete the acceptance of that offer by a customer. Seems to be fitting your business model.

Any idea when the TWO barrels will be done??? They have been in your shop since May 9th at 9:55AM according to the USPS tracking number.
Old 06-26-2012, 17:03   #319
SARDG

Not LWD, but perhaps of interest - this was part of an e-mail ad from Glockmeister; an e-mail from KKM to GM explaining some things going on at KKM:

Greg,

I am sorry that we have not been shipping any barrels to you. Our retail and dealer sales have increased 300% in the last two years. Plus , we are suppling the US military with Glock, Beretta and 1911 barrels. We have increased our production 300% in the last year to meet these new demands. Even with our continued expansion it looks like there will be a limit to the number of excess barrels we can make in a year. As we continue to expand into more retail, dealer & export markets, there just does not look like we will have excess barrels to supply any of our past distributors. Glockmeister has been a great distributor to work with for the last twelve years.

Sincerely,

Kevin McIntire
KKM Precision Inc
Old 06-29-2012, 22:37   #320
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Just to throw in my 2 cents here. The "problem" with LWD barrels as far as the barrel for my G30 goes isn't the chamber at all. It's the Freebore/Throat/Leade in the barrel. LWD puts the rifling way too close to the chamber to allow you to load to normal specs and have the cartridge seat into the chamber without running into the rifling. I had to reseat all my Truncated Cone reloads for my 45acp from 2.210" back to 1.180" to get them to fit. Also, with factory Hornady TAP, 230gr +P ammo it'd not fit into the the chamber either because it was hitting the rifling. Solution, took my Dremel with felt discs and rouge and opened up the rifling ahead of the chamber so there was more Freebore in front of the chamber until the Hornady factory stuff would chamber without hitting the rifling.
All LWD would need to do to correct their "problem" is give us .080" or so of Freebore(.452" for 45acp barrels) and they'd solve about 90% of their issues. Either way, even having to put a little work into the barrel it's still a pretty decent deal at $109.99 so I don't have much to complain about and I'm use to tweaking on stuff anyway so it's just another day in TN.Frank land when I have to fix something like this.

Closed Thread

Tags
38super, glock bulge is a myth, kkm rocks, lwd barrels, match grade glory, who's a democrat?