SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:07   #21
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Freak, I'm confused, (as usual). If Lee came up with a SWC design that would feed through a Glock, a G30 or what ever), and the bullet is lead how can we then say that LW barrels won't feed lead? Didn't the change in profile address and fix the problem?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12   #22
Colorado4Wheel

I think we are mixing things up. Two basic issues.

1) Glocks as a very generalized rule don't like SWC. MOST people shooting SWC are shooting lead. But not all. That has nothing to do with the barrel. It's a Glock design issue. It's simply not designed for SWC's

2) LW has "chambering issues" with many people. The rounds just don't chamber because of a tighter chamber and/or shorter throat. THIS is the issue most people struggle with Lone Wolf about.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:39   #23
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Freak: They are really charging $30 to open them up now? They used to do it for free.

I also had LWD sell me a Glock .40 barrel that was machined to 9mm barrel OD. Not good quality control. They replaced it at no cost to me, but really?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:07   #24
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

OK, might as well give 2 cents as well.

I agree with the statement the reloader is the problem and not the barrel. The barrel fits within a particular segment of the market. They are known to be short throated, but so are CZs.

I recently bought a LWD for my G34 after looking several months for good priced KKM, in the end I decided to take a chance and bought a new LWD at half the price of the only KKM distributor that had one in stock.

Upon receiving it I "plunk" tested my 135 RN BC moly at 1.150 OAL it failed UNTIL I shortened the OAL to 1.130

I tested a PD 124 FMH loaded out to 1.169 and it passed, BC 147 FP loaded out to 1.150 and it passed.

So the way I see it, it really depends on the bullet profile a reloader uses. It is better to have the bullet just off the lands? Is it better to have excessive throating to accommodate all bullet profiles?

Really it's a crap shoot dependent on what your requirement are, is how I see it.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 04-12-2012 at 14:45..
Old 04-12-2012, 12:29   #25
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Freak, I'm confused, (as usual). If Lee came up with a SWC design that would feed through a Glock, a G30 or what ever), and the bullet is lead how can we then say that LW barrels won't feed lead? Didn't the change in profile address and fix the problem?

Jack
The fact the Lee SWC feeds in a Glock is merely coincidental. This was a competitor to the Lyman 185gr SWC. This bullet was designed before Glock pistols were even on paper. The Lee 190gr SWC has been discontinued for several years. I have a two cavity mould of it. I discovered it fed in Glocks when I had my G30 a few years ago when #68s didn't.

Feeding SWC in a Glock and chambering in a LWD barrel are different things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-12-2012, 13:40   #26
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
This is common knowledge. Use the search feature on gun forums and you'll find threads that discuss this many times over the past few years.
Freakshow, you made a broad statement titled as a "PSA" "For the past several weeks I've been seeing a lot of threads regarding LWD barrel issues"

It's not up to me to prove your statements. I'd just like some links so that I can see what others are saying to back up your statement. What you call common knowledge is new to me, and I'd like the opportunity to learn.

Last edited by Paul53; 04-12-2012 at 13:42..
Old 04-12-2012, 13:48   #27
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Paul,

I had to get two (three actually) .40 LWD barrels throated to feed lead bullets reliably. They did this at no charge, but maybe that policy has changed.

I've seen 9mm LWD bullets choke on lead bullets with unbelievable regularity at local matches. The guys are normally buying them JUST to shoot lead bullets, but they aren't too reliable in this service.

Koski
Old 04-12-2012, 13:51   #28
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Freakshow, you made a broad statement titled as a "PSA" "For the past several weeks I've been seeing a lot of threads regarding LWD barrel issues"

It's not up to me to prove your statements. I'd just like some links so that I can see what others are saying to back up your statement. What you call common knowledge is new to me, and I'd like the opportunity to learn.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lone+wolf+barrel+issues+lead

There's plenty of threads on this topic covering the past few years. Grab a beer and immerse yourself.

Old 04-12-2012, 13:53   #29
dkf

Kinda sounds like LW was getting a LOT of barrels back to have the throat opened up and started charging for it.
Old 04-12-2012, 14:18   #30
Meathead9

Another thing that appears to have happened, is that LWD seems to be sending their 10mm barrels to a meth-head with a dremel before packaging an shipping. I have read numerous reports (w/pictures) of the case support being "polished" out of the chamber. This increases reliability, but devastates case support. I'll see if I can find it, but there's a picture on here somewhere, that shows a recent LWD G20 chamber next to a GEN 2 G20 chamber (both with rounds in them). The "fully supported" LWD barrel looked like it had even less case support than the GEN 2 barrel.

I do realize that increased case support affects reliability sometimes, so it's kind of a double edged sword. But these barrels, advertised as fully supported, were on the verge of KB's with hot factory ammo like Underwood. Some guys were even getting "smiles" using below minimum hodgdon book data.

Last edited by Meathead9; 04-12-2012 at 14:21..
Old 04-12-2012, 14:45   #31
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
OK, might as well give 2 cents as well.

I agree with the statement the reloader is the problem and not the barrel. The barrel fits withing a particular segment of the market. They are known to be short throated, but so are CZs.

I recently bought a LWD for my G34 after looking several months for good priced KKM, in the end I decided to take a chance and bought a new LWD at half the price of the only KKM distributor that had one in stock.

Upon receiving it I "plunk" tested my 135 RN BC moly at 1.150 OAL it failed UNTIL I shortened the OAL to 1.130

I tested a PD 124 FMH loaded out to 1.169 and it passed, BC 147 FP loaded out to 1.150 and it passed.

So the way I see it, it really depends on the bullet profile a reloader uses. It is better to have the bullet just off the lands? Is it better to have excessive throating to accommodate all bullet profiles?

Really it's a crap shoot dependent on what your requirement are, is how I see it.
I wasn't gonna comment on this but I agree with Boxer "even though he joined the blue team".
I've had 2 storm Lake and 1 LW, still have a SL in my G22. My shooting buddy has 3 LW (9mm 40 & 40 to 9mm conversion). We shoot nothing but cast with a few different bullet profiles including HP's.
Yes it did take a little effort to figure out the OAL on a couple of em and get the crimp right but out of the 6 different barrels none of them were sent back.
My first barrel for a G23 gave me fits until I figured it out.
I'm not saying there isn't bullet profiles that cause problems with the tighter shorter throated barrels I know thats a fact.
But when I see the issue come up and the person sez,, but my factory ammo works or it works after being ironed out with a FCD then it makes me wonder how often the short throat is the real problem?

Welp,thats all I got to say about that.
I'll go back to sizing boolits now.

Bob
Back Yard Shooting Competition
Old 04-12-2012, 14:49   #32
Colorado4Wheel

I had to seat my 147 gr to 1.080" in 9mm. Some people go shorter. It freaks people out but lead is different and I think some reloaders just assume that because they can seat jacketed to x length that they should be able to do the same with lead. That is simply not true.
Old 04-12-2012, 14:59   #33
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Prior to throating, I would have had to seat lead bullets unbelievably short (like shoulder in the case short) to get them to run reliably in a LWD barrel.

Not gonna do it.
Old 04-12-2012, 15:07   #34
Colorado4Wheel

If you look in the Lyman Manual you will see my 147gr Lyman mold was designed to be seated to even shorter then what I was using. It's the shape of the bullet that causes the problem. Most lead bullets in that manual had a very short OAL listed. That is is just the way lead runs in my limited experience with it over the last 2 years.
Old 04-12-2012, 15:22   #35
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Interesting! I never considered stuffing them that far down. But maybe that's what god intended.
Old 04-12-2012, 15:39   #36
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Koski View Post

Not gonna do it.
W3rd to yo mutha.
Old 04-12-2012, 15:45   #37
Colorado4Wheel

From the Lyman manual (9mm lead bullets)

90 gr. 1.045"
120gr rn. 1.065"
120gr. TC. 1.110"
147gr. 1.058"

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 04-12-2012 at 15:46..
Old 04-12-2012, 16:01   #38
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Ok, then riddle me this.

If a lead bullet shoulder won't fit in the throat of a tight barrel, so the reloader stuffs it so far in the case, that the shoulder is now INSIDE the case. Then it gets fired.

What is happening?

A) The bullet still doesn't fit in the throat, and gets shaved down to size as it enters.

B) The bullet got sized down when it got stuffed into the case, and now will fit into the throat of the barrel.

Thanks,

Koski

Last edited by Steve Koski; 04-12-2012 at 16:01..
Old 04-12-2012, 17:02   #39
Colorado4Wheel

Barrel sizes the bullet. Richard Lee says that is best for accuracy (over a lead bullet sizer).
Old 04-12-2012, 17:09   #40
WiskyT
Malcontent

Stock barrels FTW!!

Reloading

Reloading

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Closed Thread

Tags
38super, glock bulge is a myth, kkm rocks, lwd barrels, match grade glory, who's a democrat?