Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2012, 14:17   #1
SC Tiger
Some say...

Powder bowl (might be a stupid question)

I have a potentially stupid question. I am working on some .357 reloads but it is a small batch. Too small to make setting up the powder dispensor worth it. What I have been doing is using the Lee pre-measured powder scoop set and weighing each charge (which I do anyway even with the dispensor) and dialing it up with a trickler. However, my powder container is now empty enough that I can't get to the bottom. Is there any special type of container I should use to pour the powder into so I can get to it?

I was thinking about something like a large shot glass but I figured I'd ask here.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 15:23   #2
Ajax27

Cereal bowl.
Ajax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 15:47   #3
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax27 View Post
Cereal bowl.
That simple, huh?

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I needed to avoid.
Old 04-12-2012, 15:52   #4
fredj338

I use a small plastic container like butter comes in. It stays on the bench, I use it for holding powder for wieghed rifle loads. My trickler is a high tech plastic spoon, way faster than any trickler.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 16:29   #5
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
I have a potentially stupid question. I am working on some .357 reloads but it is a small batch. Too small to make setting up the powder dispensor worth it. What I have been doing is using the Lee pre-measured powder scoop set and weighing each charge (which I do anyway even with the dispensor) and dialing it up with a trickler. However, my powder container is now empty enough that I can't get to the bottom. Is there any special type of container I should use to pour the powder into so I can get to it?

I was thinking about something like a large shot glass but I figured I'd ask here.
If you use that shot glass, make sure you drain the contents first. I hate to see scotch or bourbon go to waste.
Old 04-12-2012, 17:26   #6
firefighter4215

I actually use the plastic icing container from a package of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. I noticed when my wife was making them once that it would be perfect.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
firefighter4215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 17:31   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

I cut the bottoms off of bottles, clean and DRY them and let them DRY overnight to be sure there is no moisture in them.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:07   #8
Ajax27

Quote:
That simple, huh?

Haha jk, but for real I usually use a little clear glass dish like you would use on the dinner table for condiments or something like that
Ajax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:33   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent

One advantage of using the bottom of a bottle is that you just squeeze the sides together and poor the powder back in the bottle when done. You can't do that with a bowl. A Nyquil cup works well too.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 20:53   #10
wrencher

I like little paper Dixie cups. Clean, disposable, easy to pour the powder back into the can.
wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:41   #11
PCJim

Why don't you just use the trickler itself? Fill it to within 1/4 - 1/8" of the top, and dip your powder from it. That's what I've done for years. It's a no brainer...
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 22:01   #12
ColoCG

I actually use a small plastic tupperware container, works great and you can bend it to pour the excess powder back in the powder container. I also use the Lee powder scoops plus a battery operated powder trickler. Quick and accurate.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:02   #13
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Why don't you just use the trickler itself? Fill it to within 1/4 - 1/8" of the top, and dip your powder from it. That's what I've done for years. It's a no brainer...
Actually that's what I did for a few rounds. I was just trying to make my process more efficient without losing quality.

Honestly, what I was looking for is warnings like "gunpowder in a steel bowl is a bad idea because it could drag against it and ignite" or something (if indeed that is the case).
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03   #14
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCG View Post
If you use that shot glass, make sure you drain the contents first. I hate to see scotch or bourbon go to waste.
But that's was going to be my "secret recipe." 1 shot of bourbon/50 rounds hopefully brings up the velocity by about 100 fps (in my mind).
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21   #15
Glockaholic2

I used a cereal bowl. Here's my concern....I use to use the Lee scoops but then eventually got a powder scale and found that some of the scoops did not come close to the published grains of powder for the recipe. Am I just being too cautious?
Glockaholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 16:30   #16
PCJim

Quote:
Actually that's what I did for a few rounds. I was just trying to make my process more efficient without losing quality.

Honestly, what I was looking for is warnings like "gunpowder in a steel bowl is a bad idea because it could drag against it and ignite" or something (if indeed that is the case).
I'd say you are needlessly worrying about something that isn't a concern. Steel cased ammo doesn't self-ignite, and dropping powder thru a Dillon powder funnel has no ill effect.

And you might find that your trickler isn't steel, but a lighter material like heavy aluminum?
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 16:54   #17
Ethereal Killer

Quote:
That simple, huh?

if you use a cereal bowl, I would avoid eating it.
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 17:20   #18
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockaholic2 View Post
I used a cereal bowl. Here's my concern....I use to use the Lee scoops but then eventually got a powder scale and found that some of the scoops did not come close to the published grains of powder for the recipe. Am I just being too cautious?
You just use a scoop that throws a charge consistantly .5gr or so lighter than what you want, dump it in your scale pan, then top it off with a trickler or plastic spoon until it zero's out at your correct charge. It's quicker than starting from zero and adding powder slowly until you get your correct charge.

Last edited by ColoCG; 04-14-2012 at 08:39..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:45   #19
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer View Post
if you use a cereal bowl, I would avoid eating it.
Even with milk on it? :D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:49   #20
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockaholic2 View Post
Are you making sure you got all the air pockets out of the scoop (if they are low)? Do you level off the top of the scoop (if it's high)?

I noticed the same thing yesterday. No big deal as I use them as an approximation and weigh each charge.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.