Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-15-2012, 22:51   #1
Veedubklown

What is this rifle?

I'm guessing it's old milsurp, but the bayonet lug, and bayonet. Anyway, I have no idea what this rifle is. My buddy asked if I could find a firing pin for it, he's missing more than than from the bolt. I also have no clue what it's chambered for, asside from a necked cartrige. There's very little stampings on this rifle, just the origional 4 didgit serial number.

Grabed a few pics, hoping the GT braintrust can help me figure it out.

Military Surplus ForumMilitary Surplus ForumMilitary Surplus ForumMilitary Surplus ForumMilitary Surplus ForumMilitary Surplus Forum

What looks like a cleaning rod, is actually just about 4-6" long, and threaded on the end. No idea what it's for. The butt plate is just another piece of wood, I thought that was also weird. The whole rifle was odd, and I couldn't figure out what it was. Buddy says it may be an argentine mauser, but I saw nothing that would indicate that.

The block on the side of the action in pic 4 is the release for the bolt. Another thing I saw, odd. The bolt also sticks back to the rear when the magazine plate comes all the way up. There's a floorplate in front of the trigger group that releases with a small latch in front of the trigger.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 04-15-2012 at 22:53..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:16   #2
countrygun

Looks like a Japanese Arisaka from what I can see; It would likely be a 6.5 (,260) cal although it could be a later 7.7 (.303)

edit to add: look at the top of the reciever front ring. There shoould either be something resembling a Crysanthymum (flower) or the marks where one was ground off. If it hasn't been ground off that adds a lot of value

Last edited by countrygun; 04-16-2012 at 01:19..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:14   #3
Veedubklown

There is definitely an area on top of the receiver where it looks like it was ground off, and reblued. As I said, there's very little markings what-so-ever. I thought it looked too small to be what my friend thought (.30 cal), .260 sounds right.

After looking around, it's definately a type 99, 7.7x58 jap. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40   #4
E-2-E
Long Trail

Seems to be missing the safety knob as well, and I'm sure a firing pin spring. It also is a late war/ last ditch rifle. I was given a last ditch that was missing the above parts I mentioned, and I did buy the parts, but can't remember where. The markings after the serial# tell you what plant it was made in, IIRC.
I'm sickened by all religions. Religion has divided people. I don't think there's any difference between the pope wearing a large hat and parading around with a smoking purse and an African painting his face white and praying to a rock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
E-2-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:06   #5
Decguns

It's a nice example of a last ditch Japanese type 99. Considering the poor quality of metals used by the Japanese at the end of the war, I wouldn't try to fire it. Hate to destroy a rather collectable piece of history.

You can find parts at SARCO Inc or Numrich Gun Parts (e-gunparts). There's no telling if proper type 99 parts will fit in the simplified bolt. Might want to buy an entire bolt assy just in case.
Old 05-10-2012, 18:21   #6
rhino673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decguns View Post
It's a nice example of a last ditch Japanese type 99. Considering the poor quality of metals used by the Japanese at the end of the war, I wouldn't try to fire it. Hate to destroy a rather collectable piece of history. .
X2. Some of the really late war stuff is horrible quality. It seems like i read somewhere that the really late stuff didn't even have a magazine follower. I guess you have to keep in mind that some of the Japanese were preparing to fight off the Americans with spears and hand to hand combat.
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote