GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 13:00   #1
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 35,032
Religulous

Has anybody seen Bill Maher's movie Religulous?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religulous

I avoided it for years because I really, really hate Bill Maher and consider him a left-wing POS on par with Rosie O'Donnel.

however, yesterday I started it on netflix and watched about the first 20 minutes and it is really, really good. It probably won't make religious people happy, but there is good on both sides and even among apparently uneducated folks in a "trucker's chapel," Bill was reasonable and gave credit where it was due. At the point I decided to wait to watch the whole thing when my wife had time to watch it too, he was talkliing to a black televangelist about why Jesus wanted him to sear expensive lizard shoes and a lot of gold (the televangelist's argument, not Maher's). The only guy I saw get mad was one who was angry that Bill asked why it was a good thing to believe without evidence ("faith").

So far, well worth watching for education and entertainment.
__________________
"Liberal" is when you hire others to use a guns to protect you, so you can pretend guns aren't necessary.

Last edited by Bren; 04-16-2012 at 13:02..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 14:29   #2
Celtic Pride
Senior Member
 
Celtic Pride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I avoided it for years because I really, really hate Bill Maher and consider him a left-wing POS on par with Rosie O'Donnel.
The fact that he targets the relatively uneducated and pastors with gold teeth to use as examples of "Christians" tells a great deal of his bias against believers.

I think you would be better served in the long run with your initial impression of Bill Maher. Its much more accurate than what he is attempting to portray as Christianity. Thanks for the comment though ...... it seems we might have something in common after all.
__________________
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to always be ready, no matter when it may overtake me. - Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Celtic Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 15:14   #3
Harper
Senior Member
 
Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Pride View Post
The fact that he targets the relatively uneducated and pastors with gold teeth to use as examples of "Christians" tells a great deal of his bias against believers.
Yeah, I tried to watch and couldn't. It's clear he's trying to portray religious people as stupid because that's what the main body of his fan base already thinks. He's just selling a product to a certain demographic. Nothing wrong with trying to make a buck but if you're looking for an intellectual discussion you'll have to look somewhere else.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 15:17   #4
GRIMLET
Deceased
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,813
I liked it.
You don't think he could have an intellectual debate/conversation?
Yes, I do watch Real Time. I also listen to Rush. I find things I agree and disagree with both. Fox news, CNN, MSNBC. I watch all of them.
I also read Aljazeera on my phone. You see stories there nowhere in the mainstream media.

We shouldn't just listen, read or watch things we agree with. Open your mind to new thought for YOU to decide if its for you or not.
Be educated about your opinions.

Last edited by GRIMLET; 04-16-2012 at 15:30..
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 16:06   #5
Celtic Pride
Senior Member
 
Celtic Pride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
I liked it.
You don't think he could have an intellectual debate/conversation?
Sure he could. He seems intelligent enough. I do believe that he operates with a liberal agenda, and liberals are not part of the conservative religious right. Thats how he leans. No problem with a man saying what he feels. I just dont typically mesh well with people that share his ideology.
__________________
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to always be ready, no matter when it may overtake me. - Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Celtic Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 16:12   #6
Celtic Pride
Senior Member
 
Celtic Pride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
I also read Aljazeera on my phone. You see stories there nowhere in the mainstream media.

We shouldn't just listen, read or watch things we agree with. Open your mind to new thought for YOU to decide if its for you or not.
Be educated about your opinions.
Truthfully, I have not read any Aljazeera or any other muslim news outlets for that matter. Call me narrow minded, but I dont think those media outlets have much to offer me in the way of an unbiased educated opinion. I mean no offense to those of you that choose to listen to Aljazeera, but personally .... my mind doesnt stretch that far open.
__________________
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to always be ready, no matter when it may overtake me. - Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Celtic Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 16:15   #7
GRIMLET
Deceased
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,813
I must have misunderstood your post.

He does have a very left/liberal lean.
Did you know he has mentioned owning a firearm for home self defense?

Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and faith without ridicule, from either side. Those thoughts and beliefs should not be pushed on others.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 16:20   #8
GRIMLET
Deceased
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Pride View Post
Truthfully, I have not read any Aljazeera or any other muslim news outlets for that matter. Call me narrow minded, but I dont think those media outlets have much to offer me in the way of an unbiased educated opinion. I mean no offense to those of you that choose to listen to Aljazeera, but personally .... my mind doesnt stretch that far open.
You would be surprised how middle of the road it is. No rhetoric at all.
I won't call you narrow minded.
You are not comfortable hearing different views on things.
That's ok.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 17:06   #9
Altaris
Senior Member
 
Altaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 11,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
You would be surprised how middle of the road it is. No rhetoric at all.
I won't call you narrow minded.
You are not comfortable hearing different views on things.
That's ok.
I agree. I used to read it(along with many other news pages), just to try and get all sides. I was always surprised how informative a lot of the stories were compared to Fox/CNN. I haven't read it in a while though, so who knows if it has changed.


As far as Maher goes, I just can't stand him. Sure, most of what he says I totally disagree with since he is an extreme left wing guy, but even the stuff I do agree with him on I can't listen to. He is just such an arrogant condescending dueche bag on how he talks that I just can't take it.... Even on topics I do agree on, like religion and 9/11 being an inside job(which is something he thinks is absurd as well).
__________________
To Alcohol !
The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems
-Homer Simpson-
Altaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 17:24   #10
Celtic Pride
Senior Member
 
Celtic Pride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
You would be surprised how middle of the road it is. No rhetoric at all.
I won't call you narrow minded.
You are not comfortable hearing different views on things.
That's ok.
No, I didnt mean to imply that you called me narrow minded. I said it about myself. I am very conservative on some issues like Christianity for example, but on other issues I am really more of a moderate. With that said, I dont mind opposing views. Thats why I am here. I believe that my views will be in the minority, but I am ok with that. I enjoy respectful debate.

I do believe that "middle of the road" views are a matter of opinion. Depending on your political beliefs, liberal or conservative determines just how wide that road is. My road just isnt built for Aljazeera at this time. I respect the fact that yours is.
__________________
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to always be ready, no matter when it may overtake me. - Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Celtic Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 18:21   #11
GRIMLET
Deceased
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,813
Thanks for the kind words.

Celtic Pride, one of my favorite basketball players is Kevin McHale.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 19:40   #12
Harper
Senior Member
 
Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
I liked it.
You don't think he could have an intellectual debate/conversation?
Yes, I do watch Real Time. I also listen to Rush. I find things I agree and disagree with both. Fox news, CNN, MSNBC. I watch all of them.
I also read Aljazeera on my phone. You see stories there nowhere in the mainstream media.

We shouldn't just listen, read or watch things we agree with. Open your mind to new thought for YOU to decide if its for you or not.
Be educated about your opinions.
I spend more time researching things I disagree with than things I do. Maher probably is capable of an intellectual debate but that's not what Religulous is.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 19:52   #13
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,539
I avoided it forever. But Netflix has it, and I was bored.

I still can't stand Bill Maher.

Although it was mildly amusing in places.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 19:55   #14
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,950
Blog Entries: 1
I find Maher nearly intolerable, and thought that the movie was okay. I have not seen either for awhile, but I found The God Who Wasn't There to be a better movie.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 20:16   #15
GRIMLET
Deceased
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
I spend more time researching things I disagree.
Edited. Sorry I was rude.

Last edited by GRIMLET; 04-16-2012 at 20:43..
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 20:45   #16
Harper
Senior Member
 
Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Edited. Sorry I was rude.
I read it before you edited it. I think you misread my post.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 20:54   #17
GRIMLET
Deceased
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,813
Perhaps. Sorry for being rude.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 20:55   #18
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 18,859


Franken is a comedian too and as intelligent.
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:25   #19
fgutie35
Senior Member
 
fgutie35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: deep southeast Texas
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Has anybody seen Bill Maher's movie Religulous?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religulous

I avoided it for years because I really, really hate Bill Maher and consider him a left-wing POS on par with Rosie O'Donnel.

however, yesterday I started it on netflix and watched about the first 20 minutes and it is really, really good. It probably won't make religious people happy, but there is good on both sides and even among apparently uneducated folks in a "trucker's chapel," Bill was reasonable and gave credit where it was due. At the point I decided to wait to watch the whole thing when my wife had time to watch it too, he was talkliing to a black televangelist about why Jesus wanted him to sear expensive lizard shoes and a lot of gold (the televangelist's argument, not Maher's). The only guy I saw get mad was one who was angry that Bill asked why it was a good thing to believe without evidence ("faith").

So far, well worth watching for education and entertainment.
Buddy, there is a reason why he interviews the gold teeth pastor with the spinning rims, and not a seasoned vatican theologist. Bill know exactly how IGNORAMUS he is when it comes to religion. So he takes on people he feels confident to outsmart. I was watching the other day one of his shows where there was an Atheist guess and not even the atheist would agree with his anti-religion ideas. That in itself should tell you something about the guy. He is just a viscious liberal who uses his mouth to spew hate on those who don't think like him.
__________________
A good firearm, is the one that puts food on the table.
fgutie35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34   #20
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
I liked it.
You don't think he could have an intellectual debate/conversation?
Yes, I do watch Real Time. I also listen to Rush. I find things I agree and disagree with both. Fox news, CNN, MSNBC. I watch all of them.
I also read Aljazeera on my phone. You see stories there nowhere in the mainstream media.

We shouldn't just listen, read or watch things we agree with. Open your mind to new thought for YOU to decide if its for you or not.
Be educated about your opinions.
You are far too sensible for this place. Please save yourself from the large knot on your forehead that will appear soon.
__________________
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:01.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,198
346 Members
852 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42