Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-16-2012, 15:44   #1
mike g35

Remington R1 Enhanced / Magwell fit question

I traded my custom S&W revo for a Remington R1 Enhanced, a few 8 & 10 round Chip McCormick mags, and $450 cash. I wanted to get a 1911 that was competition ready right out of the box and the enhanced R1 fit the bill just right.

Is it "competition ready" right out of the box? Yes....well....almost. I am the type that likes to have every advantage possible but I wanted to keep this 1911 deal affordable as well. The only thing I see lacking on the R1 enhanced is a magwell.

So here are my questions;
1.Will any standard 1911 single stack magwell fit the R1 Enhanced???

2.How hard is it to install the magwell?

3.What magwell do you suggest?

4.Is there anything else I should look into adding to get a competitive advantage?

I would appreciate any help you guys have to offer on this project. Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 17:42   #2
Ruggles

http://www.techwearusa.com/techwell_system.asp

Great set up, just remove your grips and install this magwell with the included grips and you are good to go. It is a very solid system. Not the cheapest but very high quality. They have different sizes to choose from depending on how large you want the well to be. I bought mine from Brownells.com. No permanent change to the gun is nice

Wilson makes magwell that you attache via the grip screw brushings using your grips to hold it on. Not 100% sure on how that works, I mean if it it solid or not.

Good luck!
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:35   #3
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
http://www.techwearusa.com/techwell_system.asp

Great set up, just remove your grips and install this magwell with the included grips and you are good to go. It is a very solid system. Not the cheapest but very high quality. They have different sizes to choose from depending on how large you want the well to be. I bought mine from Brownells.com. No permanent change to the gun is nice

Wilson makes magwell that you attache via the grip screw brushings using your grips to hold it on. Not 100% sure on how that works, I mean if it it solid or not.

Good luck!
THANKS!!! I watched a video yesterday and got to see the traditional installation. It looked pretty easy to me. I build my own Glock raceguns with my sponsors parts (B&B Enterprise) and I figured if I could do that I could do this. I'm gong to look into this system though, looks like an easy fix to my issue. I am considering a Dawson ICE, a tradition mainspring housing type magwell from STI or Wilson, and I have a friend that shoots for Infinity and he's asking them about their magwells also. I'll let you guys know what i decide.

Last edited by mike g35; 04-17-2012 at 11:37..
mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 17:00   #4
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
THANKS!!! I watched a video yesterday and got to see the traditional installation. It looked pretty easy to me. I build my own Glock raceguns with my sponsors parts (B&B Enterprise) and I figured if I could do that I could do this. I'm gong to look into this system though, looks like an easy fix to my issue. I am considering a Dawson ICE, a tradition mainspring housing type magwell from STI or Wilson, and I have a friend that shoots for Infinity and he's asking them about their magwells also. I'll let you guys know what i decide.
Sweet, building is always more fun I am sure you could do the install without much issue. Good luck and post of pics of the "after"
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 18:45   #5
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Not to totally get off topic but could you please post a pic of the barrel bed on your gun. I'd just like to see if it's been cut away like on the other Standard Remington R1's that I've seen. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31   #6
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Not to totally get off topic but could you please post a pic of the barrel bed on your gun. I'd just like to see if it's been cut away like on the other Standard Remington R1's that I've seen. Thanks.
I've been reading about this issue as well. I will post a pic when it gets here on Tuesday. But I can pretty much tell you its going to be nearly the same. The R1 enhanced is like the standard R1 in almost every way internally, except for they pay a little more attention to fit and function.
Back to the magwell, I actually talked to some of my teammates online and they told me the TechWell was the way to go. So I AM going to buy a TechWell, but not I have to decide between the XT or the TGO. I'm thinking TGO, its got a lower profile and I like the cut out front on it.
Old 04-18-2012, 23:12   #7
agent clark

I prefer the SA one-piece magwell/housings myself, but you may want something with a larger flare for competition.
agent clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:21   #8
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent clark View Post
I prefer the SA one-piece magwell/housings myself, but you may want something with a larger flare for competition.
That was my thinking exactly, I went with the TechWell XT / silver grip panels. I figure that will work for me needs, I'm an open division shooter first, a limited shooter second, and a production / SS division shooter whenever I feel like changing things up. The R1 Enhanced with the TechWell should make for a decent out of the box competition ready gun. If I end up liking the R1 I may consider going to a higher grade 1911, but if it works REALLY well I'll just stick with it. We'll see, I'll post a report and some video when I get it and get it together, should be Tuesday.