Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-17-2012, 16:45   #1
asingh20

First firearm, any tips? - Glock 19 gen 4

Hey guys, new the forum. I'm originally from NY and getting a permit out there is nuts! Just moved to Ohio and decided to get my first firearm; never shot one before. Going for my CCW course on may 5th.

Any basic pointers or tips? Also anything more I should get to start off with? Going to use this mainly for the range but for now since it's my only firearm, it will be used for personal protection also. I didn't get any major mods yet as I want to shoot it first before doing anything else. Here's a list of what I got so far. Thanks.

- Glock 19 Gen 4
- I bought some range ammo for now, s&b 115gr fmj.
- Meprolight Tru-Dot night sights [green rear, orange front]
- Got some ear protection, cost 8$ on amazon for a decent one with 27db noise reduction
- Hoppe's gun cleaner
- militec-1 lube
- some nylon brushes from otis
- extended slide release stop
- glock dis-assembly tool
- Will probably order a SuperTuck Deluxe from crossbreed holsters soon.
- Will probably get a 3.5lb conversion done after a couple weeks trying it out stock.
asingh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 17:45   #2
supersammy

Since this is your first pistol, I would recommend you take some courses and practice with the glock 19 untouched. Get 1000+ rounds thru it before you change slide release or trigger.

Be safe!
supersammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 18:12   #3
bac1023

I'd ask this question in General Glocking.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 18:33   #4
GLOCK17DB9

Congrats and
If I were you I'd load it up and shoot it!
Old 04-17-2012, 18:36   #5
mj9mm

Yes, skip the trigger job for now, buy lots of fmj and pick out some hp's for sd
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 18:44   #6
ryan1469

Welcome and happy shooting
ryan1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 18:50   #7
ithaca_deerslayer

You could use a .22lr pistol, and a bench to sit at and rest your pistols on

If you were still in NY, that's what I would teach you on, before moving up to a big 9, then down to your compact 9

Those two teaching tools make it a lot easier to learn.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 18:52   #8
larson1122

Welcome and great choice on the G19! I agree with keeping the slide stop and trigger stock for a while before making any decisions.
larson1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:09   #9
mymini40

Welcome!
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:13   #10
mknpwr

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new pistol. Get a bunch of ammo and shoot it a lot. Take a class, learn the pistol and ecome good with it. Figure out what works for you before you change it for the sake of change, then get more ammo and shoot it some more before you change it. Do did I mention ammo and shooting?
mknpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 20:45   #11
asingh20

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I will hold off on changing the slide stop and having the trigger job done for now. Just bought them to know I have them around just in-case I do want to change it at whatever period of time. Don't want to wait a couple days to get it shipped when/if I decide to change them.

I'm taking the CCW course on May 5th/6th and will probably take other basic pistol courses after that. Would of went this week if I could but I'm waiting for this semester to end. Too much to do to spend an entire Saturday at the course.

& I've bought 500 rounds of the S&B 115gr so far. My local range/gun shop had them for 9.99$ a box. Will purchase some JHP for SD soon. Any recommendations on brand? I've heard gold dot hp's are the way to go, but if you prefer/think otherwise, let me know =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
You could use a .22lr pistol, and a bench to sit at and rest your pistols on

If you were still in NY, that's what I would teach you on, before moving up to a big 9, then down to your compact 9

Those two teaching tools make it a lot easier to learn.
Might skip the moving on to bigger 9 and then to compact, but otherwise that's the plan. At the CCW course, I will be using their provided .22lr . I'm a quick study and I plan on practicing a lot since the range is only 15 minutes from my house

Last edited by asingh20; 04-17-2012 at 20:48..
Old 04-18-2012, 06:07   #12
DaBurna

Good all-around 1st choice for your Glock....you'll like it here & u'll want a G26 in a few months. They are addictive!!
DaBurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:14   #13
beagbox

You'll learn d basics in your CCw course on may 5 for sure..

Then after that, you'll buy another glock...((-:
beagbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:23   #14
oily_oink
###########

From Michigan!
Old 04-18-2012, 17:47   #15
asingh20

Went shooting for the first time today! Need to work on my stance but other than that I'm starting to get the hang of it. Had a military buddy give me some pointers and tips while I was shooting. My accuracy at 5, 7, 9 and 11 yards was pretty good for my first time! Went through about 300 rounds today. I'm definitely hooked! Also shot his ruger 357 magnum and it went well =]
Old 04-18-2012, 19:18   #16
ithaca_deerslayer

Sounds really good. Probably helped to have someone who knew what they were doing show you a few pointers.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 19:41   #17
denn1911

Nice start to your new hobby. Learn all you can and practice the basics. Good luck and welcome to GT!
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:42   #18
asingh20

Thanks! And yes, it did help having someone around =] I just picked up a 1000rd case of speer lawman 115gr tmj for 215 shipped. With tax at my local gun store, 1000rd's of the s&b 115 would come up to about 218. 3 bucks saved! lol
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17   #19
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh20 View Post
Hey guys, new the forum. I'm originally from NY and getting a permit out there is nuts! Just moved to Ohio and decided to get my first firearm; never shot one before. Going for my CCW course on may 5th.
Welcome to this forum and to Ohio! Ohio is a CCW-friendly state alright. I'm new to guns also - got a Glock 23 last month. You'll find a lot of help and great tips here!
"I have obviously failed to galvanize and prod, if not shame enough Americans to be ever vigilant not to let a Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel like the acorn community organizer gangster Barack Hussein Obama to weasel his way into the top office of authority in the United States of America."

Ted Nugent
jeanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:23   #20
bear62

Welcome to the board ........ You got a fine pistol in the G19
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 15:27   #21
asingh20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
Welcome to this forum and to Ohio! Ohio is a CCW-friendly state alright. I'm new to guns also - got a Glock 23 last month. You'll find a lot of help and great tips here!
Thanks!

What range do you go to btw? & Are you buying ammo locally ?
Old 04-19-2012, 15:35   #22
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh20 View Post
Thanks!

What range do you go to btw? & Are you buying ammo locally ?
Went to Stonewall range in Brecksville (I-77 & Ohio 82). Thinking of trying an outdoor range in Garrettsville I found out about, maybe this weekend.

I've been buying ammo at the gun store I got my 23, Great Lakes Outdoor Supply in Chesterland. $16.50 for box of 50 FMJ .40 cal. Found a couple of places on the internet that are cheaper, but when you figure in shipping, it's all the same.
"I have obviously failed to galvanize and prod, if not shame enough Americans to be ever vigilant not to let a Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel like the acorn community organizer gangster Barack Hussein Obama to weasel his way into the top office of authority in the United States of America."

Ted Nugent
Old 04-19-2012, 15:46   #23
asingh20

Quote:
Went to Stonewall range in Brecksville (I-77 & Ohio 82). Thinking of trying an outdoor range in Garrettsville I found out about, maybe this weekend.

I've been buying ammo at the gun store I got my 23, Great Lakes Outdoor Supply in Chesterland. $16.50 for box of 50 FMJ .40 cal. Found a couple of places on the internet that are cheaper, but when you figure in shipping, it's all the same.
True & you should also check out pro-armament if you decide to come down towards akron. 7 lanes so it isn't over crowded, and the range business hours are convenient.

How was stonewall btw?
Old 04-19-2012, 15:50   #24
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Stonewall was fine. Nearly full when I was there (late afternoon). One guy on the end was firing a shotgun - boy was that loud. Even though it was my first time shooting, the guns going off right next to me really didn't bother me. Kinda cool with all the brass flying around .

Ted Nugent
Old 04-19-2012, 16:05   #25
asingh20

Quote:
Stonewall was fine. Nearly full when I was there (late afternoon). One guy on the end was firing a shotgun - boy was that loud. Even though it was my first time shooting, the guns going off right next to me really didn't bother me. Kinda cool with all the brass flying around .
Yeah same here! I was using my buddies ruger 357 magnum and that thing overshadowed all of the other shots being fired. Wait time for a lane wasn't bad either, walked around the store for about 2-3 minutes max.

I will stop by Stonewall during the summer when they have their special between june 1st and august 31st. half off mondays, less a dollar each of box of ammo on tuesday, thursday a random drawing to see your rate for that day, and fridays 2 shooters one lane 10 bucks. sounds like a steal!