Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-17-2012, 19:19   #1
JimIsland

M&P Shield 9mm

Who has one and how do you like it? I had one in my hand today at the LGS and really like the feel of it. As much as I love my G26/G33, this things feels like it would make a great summer time carry. Experiences and/or opinions?
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 19:51   #2
Aahzz
Who?

There's a bunch of threads on this so far, settle in and start reading. Here's the range report on mine:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1415057

Long story short, I'm thinking it's a great little gun and I love mine.
Old 04-17-2012, 21:49   #3
stmcelroy
Holster Maker

Love mine.

Carrying it as much as possible, disappears under a t-shirt.

General Firearms Forum
stmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 22:05   #4
bac1023

Wow, another Shield thread.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 22:22   #5
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post

You should see how many are on the XD, S&W and M&P sites I think there will be many more threads as more people get their hands on it and do reviews/reports.

NRA Member http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 22:28   #6
GlockFish
Floyd

What is this M&P "Shield" you speak of?
Old 04-17-2012, 23:39   #7
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Like I said in another thread Bac, there should be a sticky.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:58   #8
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
I think there will be many more threads as more people get their hands on it and do reviews/reports.

No doubt

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49   #9
Aahzz
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
Love mine.

Carrying it as much as possible, disappears under a t-shirt.

General Firearms Forum
That pic increases my excitement for my holster to arrive
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33   #10
Rustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
There's a bunch of threads on this so far, settle in and start reading. Here's the range report on mine:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1415057

Long story short, I'm thinking it's a great little gun and I love mine.

Quick question's. Do you carry? If so do you carry the shield over a pistol you used to carry? If yes, what pistol did you carry and why did you switch?

I have a G26 and I thought I had the perfect CC pistol until the shield came out. I know there were always small 9's out there but the reputation of these pocket rocket's always kept me from getting one. M&P reputation makes me think again. I might wait and get a shield or just sell my 26, . I've put alot of thought into it and I think a slimmer gun would hide and carry easier on my slimmer build, but I'm a bit apprehensive about ditching the 26...
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:19   #11
Aahzz
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
Quick question's. Do you carry? If so do you carry the shield over a pistol you used to carry? If yes, what pistol did you carry and why did you switch?

I have a G26 and I thought I had the perfect CC pistol until the shield came out. I know there were always small 9's out there but the reputation of these pocket rocket's always kept me from getting one. M&P reputation makes me think again. I might wait and get a shield or just sell my 26, . I've put alot of thought into it and I think a slimmer gun would hide and carry easier on my slimmer build, but I'm a bit apprehensive about ditching the 26...
Quick answers:

Yes, I carry

Yes, I will be carrying the Shield over some other choices, which include a full-size M&P 9 that I got tired of carrying, and a S&W 3913. My most frequent companion is a S&W Bodyguard .380, and I see the Shield accompanying me more frequently, in some cases where only the Bodyguard would have done before. I've been carrying since 1993, and have had a wide variety of carry guns in the past, including a Glock 27, a Glock 19, Glock 26, Glock 21, S&W 6906, full sized 1911, Beretta 92, Sig P239, and Taurus PT111. A couple of Kel-Tecs and a revolver or two as well.

Why the choice of the Shield? I like the way it carries and I like the way it shoots. Most recently I had been carrying the M&P9, and was using off-body carry in a tactical man-purse, and I got tired of it. I've been looking for something compact and easy to carry on a belt or in my pocket. For me, thickness has always been a drawback in my carry guns - especially the 21! So, while looking at options like the Kel-Tec PF-9 or the Beretta Nano, they released the Shield. Given that I am a fan of S&W anyway, it seemed like the ideal pistol at the ideal time, and I love the way it shoots, handles, and carries. Given my past history, we'll see how long it remains as primary carry...

Last edited by Aahzz; 04-18-2012 at 18:32..
Aahzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:45   #12
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
SCCC Supporter

Quote:
No kidding, wait 'till someone has a problem or defective one...

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:23   #13
Rustin

Thanks Aahzz. I appreciate your input, you have alot of experience with carrying. That is quite a selection of guns you've carried over the years. I have already went from carrying a FS 1911, to Glock 19, to now current EDC Glock 26 in two short years of pistol ownership. (Also an FM detective hi-power I bought and sold but never carried.) I put a great deal of thought into each pistol and found out the hard way what I needed outweighed what I wanted. 1911 was too heavy for all day carry, and the G19 was harder to conceal than the 1911. I've been happy with the G26 so far, but I'm fast learning that it isn't the "no excuses", on-you-all-the-time pistol I thought it would be. The sheild isn't much smaller in overall size, but a quarter in an inch difference in girth is a huge advantage of the shield in my eyes, and a pistol that is concealable, controllable and reliable as the day is long, is the deciding factor for me. Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27   #14
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
SCCC Supporter

Quote:
...1911 was too heavy for all day carry...
Ever try an alloy one?

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
Old 04-18-2012, 12:53   #15
Rustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackwatt View Post
Ever try an alloy one?
No I have not. I couldn't really find any good one's around. The springfield lightweight's were appealing to me, but they were had to find locally. My dream carry gun would probably be a lightweight Colt commander, sent off to some legendary gunsmith to be customized, in a milt sparks versa max ii. Although for practical purposes,cost being the main limiting factor,I prefer polymer 9mm's at this time in my life.

Last edited by Rustin; 04-18-2012 at 12:54..
Old 04-18-2012, 13:10   #16
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
SCCC Supporter

Quote:
No I have not. I couldn't really find any good one's around. The springfield lightweight's were appealing to me, but they were had to find locally. My dream carry gun would probably be a lightweight Colt commander, sent off to some legendary gunsmith to be customized, in a milt sparks versa max ii. Although for practical purposes,cost being the main limiting factor,I prefer polymer 9mm's at this time in my life.
I just picked up a Kimber CDP II for summer IWB carry and I love it! I held the M&P Shield and the Kimber in the store together and they are very close, at least to me.

Old 04-18-2012, 13:35   #17
adamg01

If they shoot as accurately and as relaible as the Walther PPS, they are a great bargain at that price. That is the only thing wrong with the PPS and most Walthers is they are overpriced.

Hoepfully S&W worked all the bugs out and the launch will be smooth. I won't be replacing my PPS but I still like some options and new range reports.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 13:44   #18
stumpjumper

Just picked mine up today-will go to the range in the morning.
stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 14:58   #19
evilspringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post
Like I said in another thread Bac, there should be a sticky.
Or maybe its own sub forum
evilspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 15:04   #20
tim12232
Pistolero

just put mine on layaway, should be picked up this friday or monday! Feels great in the hand trigger is pretty good out of the box, and reset is better than other M&P's ive felt. You can click on my name to the left of this post and find my Shield thread, I will have a review here in a few days!
I also had no need for NV, so I went with the 512. As far as the submersion, if I'm 10 feet under water and still holding onto my rifle, something has gone terribly awry and I don't think an extra 23 feet is going to matter to me. YMMV
G21 Club #858
tim12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 15:22   #21
JimIsland

Yeah, yeah.....I should have used the "search button". I just wanted to give you grumpy old bastiches something to whine about!

Thank you to those that responded that actually own one. Now I'll go back in my corner and go read all the "Shield" threads and skip through all the posts from people that don't even own one
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 15:28   #22
Bruce M

Quote:

Well it is Smith and Wesson's first attempt at a small concealable handgun...

General Firearms Forum
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 16:14   #23
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIsland View Post
Yeah, yeah.....I should have used the "search button". I just wanted to give you grumpy old bastiches something to whine about!

Thank you to those that responded that actually own one. Now I'll go back in my corner and go read all the "Shield" threads and skip through all the posts from people that don't even own one
I got one Monday. I like it VERY much. Check with ATP. They had one left yesterday for $429.99
Southswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 19:49   #24
Crazy_Horse

I saw one today at my LGS, which is known to rape people on gun prices, they had one left at $499. After i regained consciousness i held it and dry fired it. The trigger felt gritty to me. Have any of you guys who have one noticed this? Maybe its just a fluke. id like to get my hands on another one before i decide if i like it or not. The trigger thing made me think twice about it thats for sure.
Crazy_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 19:56   #25
Queen Bee

Quote:

Rustin.. we all know about glocks QC going down the tubes.. if you have a perfectly functioning 26 like i do, don't ever sell it..!

but yes in the summer even the 26 sucks to carry, so im moving down into a Sig 238.. try that out .
Queen Bee is offline   Reply With Quote