Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:33   #1
Paul7
New Guy

Christians Dumb?

A recurring theme from some of the skeptics here is that Christians are somehow dumb, and just not as smart. Some are, just as many non-believers are, but how to the skeptics explain the following pretty smart people who came to faith in Christ later in life?

http://newbirthportraits.com/gallery
Old 04-18-2012, 12:39   #2
WASR10

It's the 'Ad hominem' method of argument. Once a person can no longer argue a person's position, they resort to attacking the person. It makes them feel superior, and they don't have to have an actual valid argument to use it.
And He said to them, ...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Old 04-18-2012, 13:05   #3
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Not dumb, just ignorant. No, I don't mean that as an insult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-18-2012, 13:12   #4
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Not dumb, just ignorant. No, I don't mean that as an insult.
Ad hominem. Christians could say the same of you. They don't.
Old 04-18-2012, 13:17   #5
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Ad hominem. Christians could say the same of you. They don't.
No, it really isn't an ad hominem in this case. I did not mean it as an insult. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge, not the lack of intelligence. This is the context I meant it in. It can certainly be used as an ad hominem as well, but not in this instance.

Now, you could argue that I am mistaken in describing you as ignorant and you could argue that I am ignorant of the truth of the bible. I would disagree, of course, but it would be a valid argument for you to make given your position.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 04-18-2012 at 13:23..
Old 04-18-2012, 13:30   #6
WASR10

Ignorant, ill informed, uneducated, "You believe this because you don't know any better."

While ignorance can be argued from either side, it's a reaching assumption to make when all you know is that the person claims faith in, or rejection of, a religion.
And He said to them, ...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Old 04-18-2012, 13:32   #7
void *
Dereference Me!

I'd argue that some of them are quite intelligent in their argumentation, etc.

Paul, I don't see how you can seriously argue that none of the people who identify themselves as Christians here on the board have never ad-hom'd.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson
Old 04-18-2012, 13:43   #8
IndianaMatt

LOL! The title of this post is funny enough for me!
Old 04-18-2012, 13:57   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
A recurring theme from some of the skeptics here is that Christians are somehow dumb, and just not as smart. Some are, just as many non-believers are, but how to the skeptics explain the following pretty smart people who came to faith in Christ later in life?

I have no way of knowing how smart any of those people are and nothing there gives me a reason to think they are particularly intelligent. I don't see how the link supports your premise.

As for what I think - I do tend to think someone is less intelligent if they believe things they are told, which are fairly important, without evidence. I don't care if it's god or zeus or bigfoot or alien visitors (from other planets, not Mexico) or George Bush conspiring to blow up the world trade center.

Last edited by Bren; 04-19-2012 at 04:11..
Old 04-18-2012, 13:59   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
Ignorant, ill informed, uneducated, "You believe this because you don't know any better."

While ignorance can be argued from either side, it's a reaching assumption to make when all you know is that the person claims faith in, or rejection of, a religion.
Not "a reaching assumption" at all - when a person admits to beliefs not supported by evidence, it is a perfectly natural and obvious conclusion to make.

It's a reasonable conclusion about a person's thinking, based on their own admission about what they think.

Last edited by Bren; 04-18-2012 at 14:00..
Old 04-18-2012, 14:03   #11
IndianaMatt

I don't think being religious is a matter of intelligence per se.

Critical, independent thinking? That may be your issue with people who swallow religion just on faith. But not intellgence generally.

Last edited by IndianaMatt; 04-18-2012 at 14:06..
Old 04-18-2012, 14:06   #12
WASR10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Not "a reaching assumption" at all - when a person admits to beliefs not supported by evidence, it is a perfectly natural and obvious conclusion to make.

It's a reasonable conclusion about a person's thinking, based on their own admission about what they think.
It is not reasonable to conclude that a person has not carefully considered what they choose to believe, or that their choice is made out of ignorance, simply by the choice itself.
The label of Christianity covers so many different belief systems that the label itself is insufficient to assume what a person believes.
Old 04-18-2012, 14:09   #13
Smacktard

Quote:

Not dumb, I see it as more of an emotional problem.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."
- Joseph Goebbels, Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany.
Old 04-18-2012, 14:27   #14
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
how to the skeptics explain the following pretty smart people who came to faith in Christ later in life?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senility
Old 04-18-2012, 14:31   #15
Tilley
Man of Steel

Quote:
Ignorance is the lack of knowledge...and you could argue that I am ignorant of the truth of the bible. I would disagree, of course, but it would be a valid argument for you to make given your position.
I do and you are.

(Ignorant)

Last edited by Tilley; 04-18-2012 at 14:32..
Old 04-18-2012, 14:32   #16
WASR10

Quote:
Not dumb, just ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
I don't think being religious is a matter of intelligence per se.

Critical, independent thinking? That may be your issue with people who swallow religion just on faith. But not intellgence generally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacktard View Post
Not dumb, I see it as more of an emotional problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
To more clearly state the purpose in my replies: these arguments deal with some kind of deficiency in the believer, rather than the belief. To argue the tenets of a religion is one subject, to deride a person because of their beliefs is another.

This is why liberals spend so much time calling conservatives 'racist hate mongers' and so on. Liberals subscribe to a different social or economic belief system than conservatives, and rather than discuss the actual issues, many discuss the believers instead.

Too often, when someone expresses an argument against a believer, they incorrectly think they have argued against the belief.

Last edited by WASR10; 04-18-2012 at 14:48..
Old 04-18-2012, 14:50   #17
Tilley
Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacktard View Post
Not dumb, I see it as more of an emotional problem....
Why...I...oooh...grrrrr...
Old 04-18-2012, 14:53   #18
Tilley
Man of Steel

Oh no...Dick Clark died today.
Old 04-18-2012, 14:58   #19
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:

Which of those people came to their faith based on a purely intellectual basis?
Old 04-18-2012, 15:02   #20
Tilley
Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Which of those people came to their faith based on a purely intellectual basis?
And a person losing their soul to hell does so on a purely intellectual basis?

Closed Thread