GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2012, 23:04   #1
glockman66

Government to mandate “black boxes” on passenger vehicles?

The democrats in the Senate proposing another "Mandate" to grab more control and power over the American People. They want to put a Black Box or a Event Data Recorder on all new cars that are sold after a certain date. More lib "big brother" legislation to run our lives.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/04/1...nger-vehicles/
Government to mandate “black boxes” on passenger vehicles?
posted at 11:06 am on April 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey
glockman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 23:39   #2
Guss

It's rumored that some cars already have it. Manufacturers are said to put it in to help protect themselves from liability claims.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 23:42   #3
flyandscuba

Most new cars already have these - and have had them since about 2004...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 04-20-2012, 05:51   #4
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandscuba View Post
Most new cars already have these - and have had them since about 2004...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Yep. Nothing to see here.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:16   #5
John Rambo
Raven

Yeah, already in place. Cars can't help but have black boxes. How else is the computer suppossed to tune your engine for you?

There's an alternative. Convert your car to carbeurated. Then you can go out a few times a year with a screwdriver and tune your carb for the weather. Also, you can kiss your fuel economy goodbye. But you wouldn't have any computers logging your actions!

Last edited by John Rambo; 04-20-2012 at 06:16..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:32   #6
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Yeah, already in place. Cars can't help but have black boxes. How else is the computer suppossed to tune your engine for you?
There is a difference between tuning ("pedal position 123 at 3456rpm should open the injectors for 78us for maximum performance") and logging ("at 12:34AM January 2nd 2012 the throttle pedal was at position 123, the speed was 93mph, the radio was tuned to 93.1Mhz").
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49   #7
lancesorbenson

Don't be surprised when these event data recorders start transmitting speeding violations to government computers that will automatically debit your bank account the fine. Big government types, especially liberals, have an animus toward private vehicles and long for the day our roads look like North Korea's. Driving is a privilege, or so we've been told, which means it can be restricted willy nilly if .gov sees fit.
lancesorbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:01   #8
eracer
Where's my EBT?

I have one in my GMC truck. I couldn't care less. Unless I get in an accident and the data is used to validate my description of the incident.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 14:00   #9
TactiCool

These black boxes that people are talking about are connected to the supplemental restraint system (SRS). They log certain data perimeters during the events following an airbag deployment. They do not have the capability to transmit speed data and location. Now OnStar, on the other hand, could be used in this capacity becasue of its GPS capabilities.

Last edited by TactiCool; 04-20-2012 at 14:00..
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 14:16   #10
fgutie35

People are getting a little paranoid here. The media is to blame, because they know as much as electronics as I know about Aramaic. The ECU in moder vehicles (OBDII) platform, collects data from various sensors. This data is processed and adjustments are made and converted into electrical signals to solenoids and servo motors to actuate valves to open or close different systems, like fuel, intake and exhaust flow. The data can be then stored or disposed of. In current setup, only the logs for out of parameter readings (error codes) are stored for later viewing. The bill will make auto makers, store ALL of the data for later viewing. The only thing, they can see, is variations on voltages and signals (only the data the sensors are able to send). Of course a PC can interpret this data to calculate for rate of speed and direction of vehicle seconds before an impact. I'm surpirse No one got their panties in a wad when GM came out with OnStar systems? Now that is something to worry about! (GM belongs to the Gov. and the system works tru satellite; get it!). Do you think they are going to let you know if the begin to do some spying on you?
Old 04-20-2012, 18:15   #11
jtull7
Pistolero

Absurd. Don't believe everything you see on the Internet.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-bitch.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 18:42   #12
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandscuba View Post
ALL new cars already have these - and have had them since about 2004... Many have had them sine the 1990's (American cars - Chevy - was first)
Fixed it for you...

All the fed.gov is doing is putting out standards for what data to record. I don't agree with the fed.gov interferring, but it isn't as nefarious as the article would have you believe..
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 18:44   #13
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post

There's an alternative. Convert your car to carbeurated. Then you can go out a few times a year with a screwdriver and tune your carb for the weather. Also, you can kiss your fuel economy goodbye. But you wouldn't have any computers logging your actions!
No...

The event data recorder is the predictive logic for your airbags. Without them, you can't have airbags. The engine control module (ECM) does the functions you are describing, but most ECMs don't have an y storage ability - or at least don't store information that would be useful to the fed.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 18:49   #14
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactiCool View Post
These black boxes that people are talking about are connected to the supplemental restraint system (SRS). They log certain data perimeters during the events following an airbag deployment. They do not have the capability to transmit speed data and location. Now OnStar, on the other hand, could be used in this capacity becasue of its GPS capabilities.
Close, but not exactly.... EDRs record data from BEFORE the accident. Not after. Again, it is a predictive device, not intended for much else.

Early models saved the data first for research, then for the fear from automakers that there would be claims (there were) that their airbags deployed in non-crash events, causing a crash.

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 18:59   #15
JK-linux

Last edited by JK-linux; 05-21-2012 at 18:12..
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 19:06   #16
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-linux View Post
What a crock. If the want to record the dat, so be it. As long as I can legally disable it at no cost without presumed guilt and penalty (like declining a breathalyzer) in an accident, I don't care.
Then you better buy a car pre-airbag. Or buy an early 2000's Japanese (they denied their modules had this function until about 2006).

ETA: you CAN disable it (remove it), but you will no longer have airbags.

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!

Last edited by QNman; 04-20-2012 at 19:07..
Old 04-20-2012, 19:30   #17
TactiCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
Close, but not exactly.... EDRs record data from BEFORE the accident. Not after. Again, it is a predictive device, not intended for much else.

Early models saved the data first for research, then for the fear from automakers that there would be claims (there were) that their airbags deployed in non-crash events, causing a crash.
Please note, I did not say after, but rather during the crash. But tell me, how does the device know to start recording before the crash has happened? The memory in those devices is very limited, and the only data that is logged is from a time frame of a few seconds.
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 19:36   #18
F350

Ya know; you guys are all arguing about TODAY.....Especially of Obummer gets another term, what about TOMORROW!!!

.gov is real good at getting the camel's nose under the tent.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 21:20   #19
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactiCool View Post
Please note, I did not say after, but rather during the crash. But tell me, how does the device know to start recording before the crash has happened? The memory in those devices is very limited, and the only data that is logged is from a time frame of a few seconds.
It is always recording in a loop. During an event, the last five seconds (typically) is written - "freezing" the predictive logic of the airbrbag deployment event.

An EDR is simply a flash of the previous five seconds or so of data. The predictive nature simply records the g-forces of deceleration of the vehicle. At a specific point, the system "wakes up", and once the critical point is reached, the airbag is deployed. Recording usually begins at the "wake up" event.

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!

Last edited by QNman; 04-20-2012 at 21:24..
Old 04-20-2012, 21:22   #20
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
Ya know; you guys are all arguing about TODAY.....Especially of Obummer gets another term, what about TOMORROW!!!

.gov is real good at getting the camel's nose under the tent.
I'm one of the most "paranoid" members here. The data is in your car only until someone downloads it. I used to be one of the guys doing the downloading, and have been formally trained to do so. Though I never did this for the government.

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!

Last edited by QNman; 04-20-2012 at 21:22..