Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2012, 14:53   #1
DoctaGlockta

Soap - for cleaning up the S when it HTF

Curious how many of you stock enough soap.

We have quite a bit of bar. A couple of jugs of anti-bacterial. Some extra laundry. And probably not enough shampoo. Boxes of baby wipes as well.

Any good tips on products or storage. From my listening to many 'experts' disease from poor hygiene can cause more problems than anything else.

Curious to know how much you all think is enough.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 15:01   #2
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

I actually don't stock much, no more than 3 months worth, as I think it's one of the first items to be made in post-event industries (simply made from ashes and fat or oil, I think).

Last edited by Bolster; 04-25-2012 at 19:08..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 15:18   #3
Donn57
Just me

We stock lots of soap and disinfectants. I think some folks overlook this important prep in favor of the more "fun" stuff but being able to maintain good hygiene is critical. I also think I prefer to have modern soap and disinfectants available rather than wait on a cottage industry for soap to spring up.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 16:17   #4
Tom Kanik

It can feel amazingly good to get cleaned up after busting your butt.....great for the morale. Make the wife easier to live with too!
Old 04-25-2012, 17:36   #5
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i too stock lots of bar soap. also make my own laundry soap 10 gallons at a time and have at least enough to do this half a dozen more times. we have a few gallons of liquid hand soap and several bottles of dish soap too.

i did stock some baby wipes for a bit but we dont use them often enough to rotate and the ones i had dried out on the shelf.
Old 04-25-2012, 18:49   #6
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

As I've mentioned before, it was said that in post WWII Europe, metals got you nothing. Soap got you everything.

I buy 12 packs of Ivory for less than $4 and have it stacked deep.

It's perfect for barter: it's cheap, doesn't go bad (dries out, which is good), doesn't eat anything, doesn't take up a lot of space, everybody is going to want and need it, and it doesn't require any special storage needs. You can put it outside in the shed during the summer.

Good hygiene is great for moral and health.

There just isn't any reason not to have a ton of it.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 19:35   #7
bdcochran

Ivory soap - no perfume or abrasives in it. If anyone knows of a different brand with no perfume or abrasives, please post.

Pine tar soap - its sale is discouraged in my state, but legal to possess. My doctors confirm the same. This is the soap that my step mother used in Central Mississippi in the 1920s and 1930s to clean your hair. If you use this soap, your dandruff is gone.

Benzoil peroxide soap - its sale is discouraged in my state, but legal to possess. My doctors confirm the same. This soap will take off a layer of skin. Be careful not to go out into the sun for hours after using. If you use this soap, your pimples are history.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 22:25   #8
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I don't stock up on soap per se, but I travel fairly often for work and not much for personal pleasure, but as I am one person, I don't use up too much of a hotel's supply for the room.

I open up the first day's pack of soap and shampoo and that will last me a week at the hotel but everyday, the house keeping folks put another 2 bars of soap (sink/shower) and more shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom. After a few days, I have a whole stack of stuff which I always pack up and take home.

I have a pretty big box full of hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions. Quite a few hotels use good name brand stuff too so those little bottles will come in handy for barter. It's like coins and stuff, use the right quantity for barter instead of one big bar which you have to shave or cut or something when the time comes.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 23:19   #9
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I open up the first day's pack of soap and shampoo and that will last me a week at the hotel but everyday, the house keeping folks put another 2 bars of soap (sink/shower) and more shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom. After a few days, I have a whole stack of stuff which I always pack up and take home.

I thought I was the only pinchpenny to do this! That's how I acquired my current stash of soap, that will last me at LEAST 90 days and probably a year! One reason I'm not too interested in stocking more.
Old 04-25-2012, 23:24   #10
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
Pine tar soap - its sale is discouraged in my state...
Benzoil peroxide soap - its sale is discouraged in my state....
Are you allowed to use ANY soap in your state? Some sort of no-wash hippie law? What a screwy state you live in. I guess you can console yourself that even though you can't wash with normal soap, or flush a toilet with a normal amount of water, or run a generator that's acceptable in 49 other states, or buy Everclear, or carry a gun, or buy and use a Berkey filter, and that virtually everything is "known to the state of California to cause cancer..."

...you can console yourself that if you're gay, you can get married, and that if you're an illegal from Me-hi-co, nobody will ask you to leave, or to get a driver's license, but you are encouraged to vote (if you vote for a Democrat).

Honestly, you should leave California and enjoy using whatever the hell kind of soap you want.

Oh....wait a second...um....

Last edited by Bolster; 04-25-2012 at 23:31..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 23:31   #11
Raiden
C&R Fun!

You can snag some good deals on bulk soap, buying by the loaf. I also happened on a good deal on little hotel soaps, which I've used when camping and have become sought-after barter items when on a popular trail. I've also gotten few boxes of pine tar soap bars and bottles of lemongrass & tea tree oil liquid soap. With regular use, I find I reduce or eliminate many minor skin conditions. I do have some small bottles of 3M Avagard surgical scrub soap, though I worry about it deteriorating with time (they're already 5 or 6 years old but no 'good by' dates).
Old 04-25-2012, 23:47   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post

I thought I was the only pinchpenny to do this! That's how I acquired my current stash of soap, that will last me at LEAST 90 days and probably a year! One reason I'm not too interested in stocking more.
I don't know why I do it but at first, it was just my hoarding and collecting instinct just to see how many of the different brands and hotels I can collect and then it picked up steam and I found a lot of good uses for them, because their size makes them perfect for me to stash like a bottle of lotion in the medium sized pouch of my everyday tote when I need to moisturize my hands to keep them soft. They also make for awesome travel kits instead of buying empty tiny plastic bottles and pouring my own shampoo in it... thanks, TSA!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35   #13
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
i too stock lots of bar soap. also make my own laundry soap 10 gallons at a time and have at least enough to do this half a dozen more times. we have a few gallons of liquid hand soap and several bottles of dish soap too.

i did stock some baby wipes for a bit but we dont use them often enough to rotate and the ones i had dried out on the shelf.
Do you make the liquid type with Borax, Washing Soda, and a bar of soap? I've looked into doing it but not sure how well it gets clothes clean.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:46   #14
SFCSMITH(RET)

<< has about 4 years worth of Ivory in 12 packs in the linen closet..
10 "120 load" jugs of laundry D in the basement...
Gallons of Dawn..

and my wife travels for work alot.. we too have enough small bars and little shampoos to last or give away for months..

I need to put back several jugs of Downey though.. don't want to go into the apocalypse all staticy..

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 04-26-2012 at 06:47..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46   #15
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Nothing worse than having static cling while walking around in the PAW.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05   #16
WolfNotSheep
Tackleberry

I like to store Ivory brand soap. It's hypoallergenic (not that I give a damn, but others might), has a minimal and non-fruity scent (so it doesn't attract bugs, and is gentle enough to use on infants as well as sores, wounds, etc. It's also not anti-bacterial, which is pointless in every day use soap, so it doesn't kill my septic tank. It can also be shaved over a steel hose clamp or cheese grater to make dish/laundry soap powder. I catch it when it's on sale for $3-4 for the 12 bar pack, usually once a month at the local Kroger.

I've figured that if I'm using Ivory for 100% of my soap needs I'll need approximately 2-3 bars per week. If I stretch it thin then 100 bars per year per person is sufficient.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28   #17
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfNotSheep View Post
I like to store Ivory brand soap. It's hypoallergenic (not that I give a damn, but others might), has a minimal and non-fruity scent (so it doesn't attract bugs, and is gentle enough to use on infants as well as sores, wounds, etc. It's also not anti-bacterial, which is pointless in every day use soap, so it doesn't kill my septic tank. It can also be shaved over a steel hose clamp or cheese grater to make dish/laundry soap powder. I catch it when it's on sale for $3-4 for the 12 bar pack, usually once a month at the local Kroger.

I've figured that if I'm using Ivory for 100% of my soap needs I'll need approximately 2-3 bars per week. If I stretch it thin then 100 bars per year per person is sufficient.
Another oddity of Ivory that I personally see as a benefit, is that unlike most bar soap it floats. On our three-day "Guys Retreats" there's no showering, but there's occasions to jump in the pond; so we'll just toss a dozen bars of ivory soap in the water for anyone who wants to use it.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:56   #18
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Another oddity of Ivory that I personally see as a benefit, is that unlike most bar soap it floats. On our three-day "Guys Retreats" there's no showering, but there's occasions to jump in the pond; so we'll just toss a dozen bars of ivory soap in the water for anyone who wants to use it.

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Better to use floating Ivory soap, then to be bent over, underwater in a murky pond looking for soap in a "Guys Retreat"

Que the banjo music....

Anyway I'm also a big Ivory Soap fan. Not only is it a hand soap but you can wash your body and your hair (even though the ladies will complain it dries the crap out of their hair), in a pinch you can use it to clean dishes, and clothes.

Also since its 99.9% pure, its OK to uses as a camp soap, and unlike the hippie hikers beloved Dr. Bonners soap which is basically a bear sized Peppermint Altoid, Ivory soap does not have a strong scent that attracts bugs and wildlife.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 04-26-2012 at 12:04..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 14:16   #19
jarubla
Dos Pistolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
Do you make the liquid type with Borax, Washing Soda, and a bar of soap? I've looked into doing it but not sure how well it gets clothes clean.
I did this and used the soap for over a year in our Frigidaire HE washing machine. Worked pretty well, but I felt that after a time the clothes had a 'buildup' on them. We eventually quit because it just seemed like they got to a point where they weren't getting clean. We corrected the issue by starting use of commercial type detergents again.

If you do want to try the straight homemade route, note that cold water wash will leave residue (and your whites will get dull).

In my experience rotating between homemade and commercial (say two months on, two months off) will maximize both your dollar and your clothes' life.

As a side note, I still have fixin's for making more homemade soap. Stock up on borax, washing soda and fels naptha or zote if you see them when you are out and about (some places just don't carry them).

-Jay

Last edited by jarubla; 04-26-2012 at 14:21..
jarubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 23:05   #20
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

With all the great things about Dove, I am surprised CA hasn't banned it yet.