Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2012, 19:27   #1
MississipVol

Would YOU shoot this gun?

I am relatively new to handguns and my dad loaned me his H&R .22 revolver that he hadn't shot in years to use at the range. My intention was to let my son try to shoot a handgun for the first time and I'm not quite ready for him to try out my G19.

The revolver is probably 40 years old or maybe even more. I bought some CCI 21 grain "Short range green, 22 long rifle lead-free hollow point" to shoot through it.

It holds 9 rounds and it was not firing on about 2 of those. There was also one shot in which it seemed like gunpowder sprayed both my son and I in the face. That happened only once but was a but unnerving. Not sure what that was.

Anyhow - since I am new to shooting the gun. Can any of you experienced shooters tell me if this is normal and (mainly) is there is anything to worry about with what I described.

TIA
MississipVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 20:30   #2
HAMMERHEAD

The gun may not be the problem. If the priming in the green rounds is lead free that is probably causing the failures to ignite. They're not as sensitive as the traditional lead styphnate. That may be causing the powder not to burn completely too.

Try it with some real ammo.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:39   #3
vafish

I would try some other ammo.

The H+R revolvers were not a thing of beauty, but they were a pretty solid gun.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:10   #4
bruzer

My very first thought, make sure you wear eye protection. I say this because it seems like I feel some type of spray once in awhile when shooting .22's. As far as rounds not going off .22's can be horrible about dud rounds. Could be the revolver out of time and not getting a couple of the rounds to go off? But I am no expert there. From what you say I would not be afraid to shoot the gun but never much fun when you pull the trigger and all it does is click. But that is good learning when you find out what is wrong and can fix problems. A good cleaning might be the ticket for a gun that has not been shot in awhile (good time to teach the Son about taking care of a family treasure too). Some of my older guns had oil in them that was pretty gummy from sitting. Good luck and stay safe.
Mike
bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36   #5
Golddog

Garbage guns - erratic ignition, terrible triggers, indifferent accuracy in every one of the half-dozen junkers people have dragged to shooting sessions with me. We never knew when any of them would work or how much pressure the trigger required, since it varied from chamber to chamber.

I'd toss the thing, totally disassembled, into the trash. It's a bad device for teaching anyone to shoot or to like shooting.
Golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 21:00   #6
michael_b
BRC #1492

I had one growing up and never had any issues with it. It was a decent plinker and good for practicing with. Just use decent ammo.

Sent from my Nook Tablet

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 21:10   #7
bac1023

Mine works great as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18   #8
Myke_Hart
Handloader

As with any old or new revolver you need to test the gun to make sure that it is not out of time and the cylinder lockup is solid, look for excessive cylinder gap, ect.

There are some good videos and articles out there about checking a revolver for all the issues they may have. Example: http://thefiringline.com/Misc/librar...ver-check.html

But since you only had splash back one time I would bet your revolver is fine.

If you are having excessive rounds failing to go off you may need a new hammer spring for the gun. You can get this from Numrich really cheap and replace it yourself. Requires removal of the grips and some needle-nose pliers. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=229

The H&R is not a terribly valuable gun so shoot it until it won't shoot anymore, Replace the defective parts and repeat.

When it is shot out - Never throw it away - sell it on gunbroker as a parts gun. There are people like me looking for parts guns every day.

Nothing is better than a Son/Daughter shooting with Dad. Some of my fondest memories no matter what the gun was.

The first gun I gunsmithed was an H&R. I was given the frame by my father and I purchased and fitted all the other parts from Numrich and she functions flawlessly. Ugly but works great and still own it today.

My H&R 733
Rimfire Forum

Got Guns? Does she know about it?

Last edited by Myke_Hart; 04-28-2012 at 07:20..
Myke_Hart is offline   Reply With Quote