Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:12   #1
humanguerrilla

Movement to ban concealed carry during the conventions

Nonsense. We'll see where folks stand real quickly. In the wake of zimmerman they are calling for governors orders to deny concealed carry/ gun rights during the conventions.
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/27/444...nventions.html

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 04-27-2012 at 10:14..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41   #2
Naelbis

The Governor doesn't have the power to unilaterally overturn state law...but that won't matter...gotta keep the serfs in line while the ruling class selects their new leaders...
Old 04-27-2012, 21:01   #3
callihan_44
INFIDEL

how about we also ban free speech while we're at it, dont want anyones feelings hurt now do we?
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 21:06   #4
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Whoa there Nelly.

You want to show up to a protest, outside the convention with your CCW. WTF, there should be no problem there. Now if you start doing something bad, and I mean really bad, I'm OK with the guy carrying the sign next to you puts you down.

Armed people really do need to be very polite, and understand that DE-escalation is the best way to go, if you don't want to get into a gun fight.

I'm completely against anyone attempting tyranny, from the Paul or the Republican camps equally.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 22:22   #5
Bruce H

Only it they leave their protection detail at home.
Old 04-27-2012, 23:31   #6
holesinpaper

Open Carry will prevent this (in free states).
holesinpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 23:54   #7
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Double tap.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Last edited by stevelyn; 04-28-2012 at 00:00..
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 23:59   #8
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Heard about this on Armed American Radio last weekend. What they're asking would require legislation to change their preemption law. A governor just can't issue an imperial decree because some a-hole mayor and city govt requests it.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:50   #9
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Lived in Tampa for awhile and always carried, plus a BUG. Wouldn't feel safe without it. ESPECIALLY if I were there during a convention when every miscreant from every corner of the country will arrive to cause trouble. I can see muggings, D&D and assault skyrocketing especially down by Channelside.
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:15   #10
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanguerrilla View Post
Nonsense. We'll see where folks stand real quickly. In the wake of zimmerman they are calling for governors orders to deny concealed carry/ gun rights during the conventions.
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/27/444...nventions.html
This takes the cake. Normally I default to extending the right to carry. Normally unless there is some very good reason to do otherwise, that is the best position to take. This is not one of those cases. This is stupid. Like it or not, no one has any business carrying a concealed weapon at a political convention... any more than they have any business carrying a concealed weapon onto a airplane, etc. Why? Because it's not a matter of someone's precious emotional principle. It is a matter of common sense. No rational reasonable man would expect to carry a concealed weapon into a political convention.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42   #11
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
This takes the cake. Normally I default to extending the right to carry. Normally unless there is some very good reason to do otherwise, that is the best position to take. This is not one of those cases. This is stupid. Like it or not, no one has any business carrying a concealed weapon at a political convention... any more than they have any business carrying a concealed weapon onto a airplane, etc. Why? Because it's not a matter of someone's precious emotional principle. It is a matter of common sense. No rational reasonable man would expect to carry a concealed weapon into a political convention.
Are you ignorant, or simply trolling?

The proposed rule change has NOTHING to do with the federal law that already prohibits carry wherever Homeland Security has jurisdiction - like INSIDE a national political convention building.

What the idiots here want to do is suspend my right to carry on a public street that happens to be within a certain distance of said building.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 14:02   #12
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Are you ignorant, or simply trolling?

The proposed rule change has NOTHING to do with the federal law that already prohibits carry wherever Homeland Security has jurisdiction - like INSIDE a national political convention building.

What the idiots here want to do is suspend my right to carry on a public street that happens to be within a certain distance of said building.
I skimmed through the couple of paragraphs. It seemed to be foolishness. So I did not read the rest.

Idiots abound, both inside convention halls and in city administrations... courtrooms... and legislatures. Can't really see any need for anyone to be carrying a weapon in the middle of a political meeting... inside the building or outside on the streets. Such meetings are infrequent. If your need to go somewhere necessitates your walking through such an area, then you can always find another route or just leave your pistol at home. I've been in the middle of a couple of such conventions. I've not ever seen any reason why anyone would need a concealed weapon at such a meeting. Of course those with an overly inflated sense of impending doom will object.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:59   #13
71Commander

The article refers to protests at both the Republican and democrat conventions. What it failed to point out was that both conventions were being protested by the same group of radical moonbats from the democrat party.

The DU faction hate obama because they believe that he isn't liberal enough.
NRA member
71Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:12   #14
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
I skimmed through the couple of paragraphs. It seemed to be foolishness. So I did not read the rest.

Idiots abound, both inside convention halls and in city administrations... courtrooms... and legislatures. Can't really see any need for anyone to be carrying a weapon in the middle of a political meeting... inside the building or outside on the streets. Such meetings are infrequent. If your need to go somewhere necessitates your walking through such an area, then you can always find another route or just leave your pistol at home. I've been in the middle of a couple of such conventions. I've not ever seen any reason why anyone would need a concealed weapon at such a meeting. Of course those with an overly inflated sense of impending doom will object.
Again, we need to differentiate between buildings inside of which it is already illegal for me to carry, and public streets, where state law protects my right to do so.

You think I shouldn't be allowed to carry on a street that is near a political convention? What about a rally? What about when a politician shows up at a coffee shop for an ad hoc stumping opportunity? I have a video on my Youtube channel in which I'm 10 feet away from Mitt Romney as he speaks in the parking lot across the street from my office. I had a pistol in my pocket. Should it have been illegal for me to have had it? Why?

What other times and places do you think my right to carry should be taken away?
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03   #15
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holesinpaper View Post
Open Carry will prevent this (in free states).
I'm not sure how presenting a negative image on the news, and accomplishing nothing else, will prevent anything. It might help get your state's open carry law changed, like it did in California, but I'd as soon have OC stay legal for the rare occasion when a non-nutjob needs to do it.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:29   #16
Gary W Trott
Prickley Fan

Quote:
Can't really see any need for anyone to be carrying a weapon in the middle of a political meeting... inside the building or outside on the streets.
With all the security there has been at recent presidential conventions due to worries about potential threats, including the "free speech zones" for demonstrators, it seems to me that the conventions are places where a person very well may need to be armed if he or she so chooses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"What I want most from the government is to be left alone." GWT
"Don't take my, or anyone else's, word for anything. Look it up for yourself." William Cooper on The Hour of The Time
Gary W Trott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:13   #17
Brucev

[QUOTE=eracer;18905260]Again, we need to differentiate between buildings inside of which it is already illegal for me to carry, and public streets, where state law protects my right to do so. No, we do not. A political convention is not a trip to the rifle range. Nor is it a walk through the ghetto. The streets outside a political convention are in every since of the word an extension of what occurs within the building. Guns have no place on the hips or in the pockets of anyone in such a setting beyond authorized police, etc.

You think I shouldn't be allowed to carry on a street that is near a political convention? What about a rally? What about when a politician shows up at a coffee shop for an ad hoc stumping opportunity? I have a video on my Youtube channel in which I'm 10 feet away from Mitt Romney as he speaks in the parking lot across the street from my office. I had a pistol in my pocket. Should it have been illegal for me to have had it? Why? I do not think anyone has a legitimate reason to OC/CC at a political rally... etc. Why. Not so hard to figure out.

What other times and places do you think my right to carry should be taken away? Your "right" is not unlimited. And furthermore, "your" right is not superior to that of others. Your expectation of how you exercise your right is not the standard. If you don't like it, you will need to turn to the courts. While in general I am supportive of oc/cc, I do not consider it a unrestricted personal right to be exercised regardless of how it may impact other people. I support those politicians who support oc/cc due to my larger 2nd Amendment concerns. But I am not particularly persuaded by what I consider the Chicken Little mentality/rational offered by those who want to pretend that everywhere danger is lurking, that we live in a jungle where only the strong survive, that want to justify such a mentality by quick quoting the latest report they've been able to find on YouTube of the latest crime reported wherever by whoever.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14   #18
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W Trott View Post
With all the security there has been at recent presidential conventions due to worries about potential threats, including the "free speech zones" for demonstrators, it seems to me that the conventions are places where a person very well may need to be armed if he or she so chooses.
Why would that be the case?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25   #19
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Quote:
I do not think anyone has a legitimate reason to...
This is the default position of the overwhelming majority of Americans and succinctly capsulizes the reason why we have the overreaching state we have today: the largest and most expensive government in history.

This is the source from which flows the continued assault on individual liberty in favor of a collectivized safety-state that produces voluminous code, compounding year after year after year.

Look no further, we have seen the enemy. And he is us. Without absolving the state and the enforcement class, it must be noted that we sacrificed our sovereignty and our manhood to Leviathan voluntarily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada

Last edited by barbedwiresmile; 04-29-2012 at 07:25..
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25   #20
Gary W Trott
Prickley Fan

Quote:
Why would that be the case?
Because the whole reason for the talk against concealed carry at these events is based upon the possiblity of violence at the conventions. So...if there is a possibility of violence...people would do well to arm themselves for protection should violence break out.

"What I want most from the government is to be left alone." GWT
"Don't take my, or anyone else's, word for anything. Look it up for yourself." William Cooper on The Hour of The Time
Gary W Trott is offline   Reply With Quote