SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:03   #1
okie
GT Mayor

Hotels.com.

I talked to my brother and he booked a hotel room through hotels.com. He called the hotel first and they quoted him 220 bucks for two nights and he got it for 180 bucks from hotels.com. How does that work one entity get 220 and another get 180
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 14:05   #2
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
I talked to my brother and he booked a hotel room through hotels.com. He called the hotel first and they quoted him 220 bucks for two nights and he got it for 180 bucks from hotels.com. How does that work one entity get 220 and another get 180
I use hotels.com a lot. Their rates are as good as any of the other sites, and I like the simplicity of their rewards program. After ten room/nights, you get the average of the rates of those ten stays toward a "free" room. So, it is basically 10% of all you spend comes back to you.

How do hotels.com and all the other sites get such good rates? They contract with the hotels to buy rooms in bulk blocks, so their buying power is more than a lone guy calling the front desk.
Old 04-27-2012, 14:32   #3
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post
How do hotels.com and all the other sites get such good rates? They contract with the hotels to buy rooms in bulk blocks, so their buying power is more than a lone guy calling the front desk.
That makes a lot of sense my friend
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 14:43   #4
TSAX
USAF Vet

Sometimes you get better deals on the website sometimes over the phone. With Southwest Airlines I get better deals online and sometimes when I talk to rental car places I get better deals. Situationally there are many intangibles and factors that come into play here but what happened to you was not all that unusual. Id check the price online and call for deals sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 14:47   #5
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

I work for a hotel company and still don't fully understand it (then again, it's not really my department either). There are a lot of people that get a cut of a booking.

Part of it is as F14 said, it's a bulk rate. Other times it's negotiated. Sometimes it's an internet rate because it's easier for someone to shop around online as opposed to calling. Perhaps that particular site might get the particular hotel (or the hotels chain) a lot of bookings so they can sell a room at a lower price because of volume.

Then you have the non-fee price. Might show up as $180, but when all is said and done with taxes and whatever, you're probably looking at closer to what the phone price was (if not more). The last part can sometimes depend on booking engine. Overheard someone the other day having to explain to a hotel why the price was showing so much and it's because the booking engine shows the taxes and everything else because of research showing that the customer likes to see everything up front (imagine that?).

Last edited by cgwahl; 04-27-2012 at 14:48..
cgwahl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 15:22   #6
itstime

If I know I'm going somewhere in the future I monitor the sites as much as I can. The rates go up and down all the time. It's better to book all the rooms at 180 than some at 220.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 15:32   #7
TSAX
USAF Vet

Dont forget the tax, hotel/tourism tax, valet or garage parking costs and the $1 you have to give the homeless to watch your car over night if you park on the street

GSSF Member

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote