Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:01   #21
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Is the OP's pictured stock the "M4" stock?
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 18:46   #22
blackgun556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
Now that I've shot my Sub2000 more, I can say the MechTech is definitely more accurate. As a rough estimate, I'd say my MechTech has about the same accuracy at 75 yards as my Sub2000 does at 25 yards. There is a noticeable difference in weight too; the MechTech is much heavier and solid feeling.

Also of possible interest - the Sub2000 with it's 16" barrel in .40 S&W produces almost identical ballistics to my 6.6" 10mm G20 longslide. My 160gr cast hollow points, with 40 S&W book loads (9.0gr Power Pistol, book max is 9.2) do 1650 fps in the little Keltec, and 1550 fps with a 155gr JHP and the same load. I'd like to see what could be done with comparable 10mm loads in the MechTech.
I was going out to the range I could take it out and see what I come up with. I looked threw my ammo stash and all I have is 1 box 155gr xtp but there loaded at 9.6 of power pistol. (10gr is max in my in my Hornady ) well that help any?
blackgun556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 18:52   #23
blackgun556

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Is the OP's pictured stock the "M4" stock?
Its not the one from mechtech but its close. I had it laying around so I just got the m4 adapter and used it.
Old 06-20-2012, 19:52   #24
Yondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgun556 View Post
I was going out to the range I could take it out and see what I come up with. I looked threw my ammo stash and all I have is 1 box 155gr xtp but there loaded at 9.6 of power pistol. (10gr is max in my in my Hornady ) well that help any?
Sure, post up. That's a relatively light load (.6gr more powder in a bigger case volume), but I'd like to know.
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13   #25
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
Now that I've shot my Sub2000 more, I can say the MechTech is definitely more accurate. As a rough estimate, I'd say my MechTech has about the same accuracy at 75 yards as my Sub2000 does at 25 yards. There is a noticeable difference in weight too; the MechTech is much heavier and solid feeling.

Also of possible interest - the Sub2000 with it's 16" barrel in .40 S&W produces almost identical ballistics to my 6.6" 10mm G20 longslide. My 160gr cast hollow points, with 40 S&W book loads (9.0gr Power Pistol, book max is 9.2) do 1650 fps in the little Keltec, and 1550 fps with a 155gr JHP and the same load. I'd like to see what could be done with comparable 10mm loads in the MechTech.
It's true that the Sub2000 has the feel of a toy gun. I'd taken the thing completely apart and polished trigger mechanism, so mine still has the long pre-travel while very buttery soft. That helps tighten grouping at 25 yards. However, about the only thing that has any weight to it, is the barrel piece. As a system, it is tough to steady a toy gun like firearm. I'd expect the .40 Sub2000 to be heavier than my 9mm. My 9mm Sub2000's real advantages are its lightness, fold-ability, and Walmart ammo availability.

Mechtech, in contrast, seems to have more substance to handle a lot more powder in the 10mm. I'd expect the 10mm MechTech to be a heavier gun than other caliber MechTech conversions. I'd also expect that you can "test fire" the .40 in the 10mm conversion, just for a few rounds.

My impression of MechTech advantages are its trigger would still be my G20 trigger, and my G20 ammo... With a lot more guidance down range from a hefty system. It would be the best long range 10mm conversion system at $500 ballpark, or long range 10mm system at $1000 with a handgun option, lot better than an AK-47 size wise to carry.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:33   #26
Cwlongshot

This will be my next toy purchase!!!

Been watching all I can find in uTube! I'm sold! Now to work out the extras, buy a couple four hi cap mags and find a dedicated lower as I want a carbine all the time + my G20!!!!

Momma and I just bought new computers for each of us, so this will have to wait till next spring or so, but it's gonna happen!!!!!
CW

Last edited by Cwlongshot; 09-24-2012 at 12:34..
Cwlongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 19:03   #27
blackgun556

you well be happy with!!
Old 09-24-2012, 22:02   #28
RYT 2BER

I've always found the mt to be very intriguing!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:57   #29
TAKtical

How is the weight? Relatively light? Ive heard that these vibrate a lot and make a "twang" sound when the bolt cycles. Is that true? Im trying to decide whether to get one of these or sbr one of my glocks for use with a hera arms kit.
TAKtical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:37   #30
drsjr1969
"10mm ammo" FB

watch my mech tech youtube videos and tell me if you hear this "twang".

I'm about ready to make another one on how much the bullet drops between 100 -200 yards. looking to take it with me to Wisconsin in Nov. for deer season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

chronograph energy list 10mm

drsjr1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23   #31
edhead35

Has anyone used a G21 lower for a 10mm mechtech upper? Does it work?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
edhead35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:16   #32
dm1906
Retired SO

Yeah, they "twang". My son has one for his G22/.40, and it twangs. Twangs like a Daisy Red Rider. He has 1000 rounds through it, and if that's the "worse" it gets, let'er twang!

So far, it eats anything its fed. Dead-nuts accurate out to 150 yds. with factory power rounds. The red/green dot sight they sell is very effective.

And the weight.... They're heavy out front. Heavier than other "black rifles". No problem though, punching out 30 rds at a time. Don't even notice the weight. You can slim it down some, if you pass on all the accessories hanging on the front (rails, light, etc.).
Old 09-26-2012, 12:19   #33
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhead35 View Post
Has anyone used a G21 lower for a 10mm mechtech upper? Does it work?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
They (Mechtech) say it will work, and it should. G20 and G21 frames are identical. The same is also true for other "like" frame platforms. The website lists acceptable compatibilities.
Old 09-26-2012, 14:02   #34
MichiGun Hunter

Mech Tech

There is a way to keep it "pistol" fellas. At least here in Michigan. UTG makes a folding stock adaptor. i think it is called the model 47 side folding adaptor. It was $20 shipped to my door. With this in use, the Mech Tech is under 30" in total length. It can also still be fired from the folded position. And barrel is 16". By Michigan law, im gonna wack and stack the deer with my registered Glock 20!!!!

dm1906: Also i am curious as to what factory ammo you are using that is "dead nuts" out to 150 yards? I myself handload some very hot 180gr XTPs. It is dead nuts out to 100 for me all day long. At 150 it still throws one hell of a group. But it is low by about 6-7 inches. I have found the 10mm, as most pistol ammo does, drops pretty fast after 100 yards. I believe thats why people say pistol caliber carbines are good 100 yard guns. With correct hold over i have become very good out to 150.

drsjr1969: I would be interested to see if your results from 150-200 yards are the same as mine. Please report.

Nate

Last edited by MichiGun Hunter; 09-26-2012 at 14:03..
MichiGun Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 14:22   #35
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I'm always concerned about the amount of excess slide-rail wear the upper would impart on my G20 frame.... and since I've not seen these in person, I don't really know how to answer my own question: does putting on- and taking off the upper take a lot of force? Is it a very tight fit? Do you think putting it on and taking it off could induce more than a normal amount of wear in these places? I'd hate to shoot this upper a lot and then change back to my stock G20 slide and find that its fit is even sloppier...

Anyone?

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 09-26-2012, 16:31   #36
MichiGun Hunter

my answer...

Quote:
I'm always concerned about the amount of excess slide-rail wear the upper would impart on my G20 frame.... and since I've not seen these in person, I don't really know how to answer my own question: does putting on- and taking off the upper take a lot of force?

Not at all. With my slide already off of my G20 frame it takes me all of 3 seconds to do.

Is it a very tight fit?

Nice and tight fit they way you would like it! In fact it is as good of fit as my Colt AR 15 upper to lower. No rattle or movement from the 10 or so different ones i have handled.

Do you think putting it on and taking it off could induce more than a normal amount of wear in these places? I'd hate to shoot this upper a lot and then change back to my stock G20 slide and find that its fit is even sloppier...

NOPE. I and many others i know personally have put thousands of rounds through our Mech Techs. And pretty potent ones at that! Still goes on and comes off as easy as it did the day it was brand new. Fit hasnt changed a bit after going back to the G20 slide. In fact the Mech Tech fit to frame is better than the Glock slide fit to frame.

Anyone?
In all honesty i have probably put as many rounds through my Mech Tech as anyone out there. Yes, that is a LOT! I actually could consider myself obsessed with it at times. When it comes to a 10mm Carbine, the Mech Tech is VERY hard to beat!!
Old 09-26-2012, 16:41   #37
MichiGun Hunter

forgot one thing!!

Almost forgot.... And i only speak of this for the Glock model Mech Techs, as i have never handled the 1911 version.

But... with the glock models, there is no movement on the rails of the frame. It actually is held on by the rails and locked into place much like your slide, except the movement is all in the upper part of the Mech Tech itself. Imagine the upper of an AR-15 platform. Very similar. I believe this should help you to answer your question. If not sorry for the confusion. I tried...
Old 09-26-2012, 17:37   #38
ModGlock17

Nick, You and me, Bud. Tempted...

I called and they said they have been quite busy.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 19:19   #39
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Thanks for the response, MichiGun and yes, Mod, yes.....

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 09-26-2012, 23:43   #40
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
I'm always concerned about the amount of excess slide-rail wear the upper would impart on my G20 frame.... and since I've not seen these in person, I don't really know how to answer my own question: does putting on- and taking off the upper take a lot of force? Is it a very tight fit? Do you think putting it on and taking it off could induce more than a normal amount of wear in these places? I'd hate to shoot this upper a lot and then change back to my stock G20 slide and find that its fit is even sloppier...

Anyone?
No slide wear. As said above, once locked in, all the firing action is in the upper. The lock is against a hard rubber block, so it stays tight once locked. The Glock frame is only a feeder, handle and trigger. The "Glock Block" (fits over the locking block) is the ramp that feeds rounds to the chamber from the mag.

My son's G22 was a police academy whore for years. Probably in the neighborhood of 30K+ rounds through it (just a guess, as it's probably a lot more than that). It's all original, slide is still tight, and it shoots as straight as any.

Since he got his, the 10mm version made it to my short list....