SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2012, 17:05   #1
Glocker1984

Proud Guy Here

Hey Everyone-

I know it's not that big of a deal to some; but after much research and viewing of YouTube Vids; I finally got up the courage to detail strip my Kimber Custom II. It wasn't as hard as I expected. Getting the Hammer Strut into the MSH, then getting the MSH pin into place was a pain in the ass; but I got it. I put it together, and it passed all function tests.

I plan on moving forward which would mean learning all the mechanics of the platform and eventually learning how to fit parts. I would like to become a 1911 armorer.

Quick question: how/what does the sear spring do in the mechanics of the operating system? I know it touches the sear and disconnector; but what does it do after the trigger is pulled? And what about the third little "leg" on the sear spring? Does it have something to do with the grip safety?

Thanks in advance.

"Death is certain. Life is not"
"Give me Steel or Give me Death"
Glocker1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 18:22   #2
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocker1984 View Post
. Getting the Hammer Strut into the MSH, then getting the MSH pin into place was a pain in the ass; but I got it.
Dumb question but did you do it with the hammer cocked or lowered? Doing it lowered it's a piece of cake to get the MSH up to where the hammer strut is. Just let the strut kind of float by tipping the gun at the proper angle and push the MSH up to meet it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocker1984 View Post
Quick question: how/what does the sear spring do in the mechanics of the operating system? I know it touches the sear and disconnector; but what does it do after the trigger is pulled? And what about the third little "leg" on the sear spring? Does it have something to do with the grip safety?

Thanks in advance.
Looking at it from the back of the gun the Left "leg" is for the sear, the "middle" leg is for the disconnector and the "right" leg is for the grip safety.

Congrats on jumping in with both feet and doing a detailed strip. Once you do it a couple times it'll become second nature to pull a 1911 apart and put it back together again.

Little trick with the disconnector and sear, get it close to where it needs to go then take a small piece of wire(I use a little 2" piece of stainless welding wire) and look through the sear pin hole and use the wire to line everything up before you put the pin in. Makes things a lot easier.

Last edited by TN.Frank; 04-28-2012 at 18:24..
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 19:31   #3
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post

Little trick with the disconnector and sear, get it close to where it needs to go then take a small piece of wire(I use a little 2" piece of stainless welding wire) and look through the sear pin hole and use the wire to line everything up before you put the pin in. Makes things a lot easier.
I use my handy dandy Glock tool.Don't have any Glocks anymore,but I use that tool for all my gunsmithing work.
OP....good job on your first 1911 detail strip.

Last edited by 3rdgen40; 04-28-2012 at 19:32..
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 21:06   #4
Mr. Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Dumb question but did you do it with the hammer cocked or lowered? Doing it lowered it's a piece of cake to get the MSH up to where the hammer strut is. Just let the strut kind of float by tipping the gun at the proper angle and push the MSH up to meet it.
As said, assemble with the hammer forward.

Look at the strut and make sure it is in the notch for the grip safety. Pretty easy to install the MSH and pin with everything in the right place.

Congrats on doing it for the first time. After detail stripping a couple of times, it is pretty easy to do.
Mr. Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote