SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:16   #1
Ethereal Killer

G20/21 grip reduction?

Who has done one? Tutorials?
Who has FELT one? What do they feel like? does it point better? does it change the length of pull or just get rid of the hump?

any opinions from those who have experience with these would be welcome
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16   #2
WeeWilly

I hope this is not too much of a highjack, but I had a real revelation yesterday. This is for a guy who has been shooting for 4 decades (revelations are pretty few and far between nowadays).

I have always favored the feel of a smaller grip. I have always changed out the normal thickness grips on my 1911's for thin grips, I always use the smallest swell when I have interchangable backstraps. I bought the G20SF and the G21SF over the non-SF models, sight unseen.

Yesterday I had my G19, G20SF and G21SF all at the range at the same time. I shot the G20SF/G21SF quite a bit better than the G19. The G19 "feels" better in my hand, but the larger frames I shot much better. For a long time, my Beretta 92FS was my most accurate 9. I always attributed that to the gun, I am now thinking it may have been the 2x4 grip all along.

So I think the moral of the story is not only do you have to pick up the gun and feel it, but if possible, shoot it. For me, the larger grip seems to work better, for sure when shooting hotter rounds, but perhaps all the time.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19   #3
Ethereal Killer

A grip will mold into your hands the more you use it, but it should also point naturally. I shoot the 19 very very well but suck with the 20. the SF is an improvement. I've never held a reduced 20/21 frame before. if I had or could, it would answer the question instantly for me.

lacking that, I have to depend on those who can explain it well for me.
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 19:47   #4
inspectorjj

The "hump" removal will make the G20 ergonomically correct therefore easier to shoot more accurately in my opinion. However; everyone has different hands and shoots with different little quirks. See my post in the thread below. I loved the grip reduction on my G20 but preferred the stock grip on my G29.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1410433
Old 04-29-2012, 22:16   #5
rcd567

The 10 Ring

http://www.coldborecustom.com/

This is a picture of mine. I absolutely love the way it feels. It is smaller and feels more like a 1911 grip than the chunky glock grip it came with. And it started out as a G20sfs. I've never owned a glock before because of the way the grip felt to me. This thing is awesome. Lane of ColdboreCustoms told me two week turn around and it was right on the nose.
Old 04-29-2012, 23:21   #6
Yondering

rcd567, that's a nice picture. I have to say, that's the first G20/21 grip reduction I've seen that I like the looks of.

What texture and reduction options did you go with, and how much did it cost total? Did this reduce the reach to the trigger, or is the reduction all on the lower part of the grip?

I might consider doing this to my 21SF, although it feels pretty good as is. The main thing I'd like is to have the curve at the back of the grip just slightly narrower at the web of my thumb and trigger finger.
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 23:49   #7
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd567 View Post
The 10 Ring

http://www.coldborecustom.com/

This is a picture of mine. I absolutely love the way it feels. It is smaller and feels more like a 1911 grip than the chunky glock grip it came with. And it started out as a G20sfs. I've never owned a glock before because of the way the grip felt to me. This thing is awesome. Lane of ColdboreCustoms told me two week turn around and it was right on the nose.
, I will have one sent to him later this summer, his work is pretty good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44   #8
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
I hope this is not too much of a highjack, but I had a real revelation yesterday. This is for a guy who has been shooting for 4 decades (revelations are pretty few and far between nowadays).

I have always favored the feel of a smaller grip. I have always changed out the normal thickness grips on my 1911's for thin grips, I always use the smallest swell when I have interchangable backstraps. I bought the G20SF and the G21SF over the non-SF models, sight unseen.

Yesterday I had my G19, G20SF and G21SF all at the range at the same time. I shot the G20SF/G21SF quite a bit better than the G19. The G19 "feels" better in my hand, but the larger frames I shot much better. For a long time, my Beretta 92FS was my most accurate 9. I always attributed that to the gun, I am now thinking it may have been the 2x4 grip all along.

So I think the moral of the story is not only do you have to pick up the gun and feel it, but if possible, shoot it. For me, the larger grip seems to work better, for sure when shooting hotter rounds, but perhaps all the time.
Willy, I've been saying this for years. Just because a gun "feels good" at the counter, doesn't mean anything for practical purposes. Look at all the guys who've bought S&W M&Ps. They feel great but can't hit the sky if they're shot in the air.

I think it was Clint Smith who said "You're not buying a mattress." who cares if a gun feels super comfortable? Unless you're shooting it all day at training, it doesn't matter! Most uncomfortable guns I've owned have been the most accurate of them all.
Old 05-03-2012, 20:09   #9
pikepole20

I have a Glock 20 and had the grip reduction and stippling done by gpigun in Florida. They also removed the finger grooves and undercut the trigger guard. It worked great for me as the finger grooves in the Glock frame were entirely in the wrong place for my large hands. They have an auction for the service on Gunbroker and you can search based on their name above. The grip transformation made the Glock 20 my favorite handgun.
pikepole20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 21:22   #10
mgentry

+1 for Cold Bore, Lane did an outstanding job on reducing the grip on my Glock 17. Quick and inexpensive.
mgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 18:56   #11
agtman
10mm Spartiate

My 2-cents is in my post in the thread Inspectorjj cited:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1410433

The 10 Ring

Last edited by agtman; 05-07-2012 at 18:58..
agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:04   #12
Bravo2

Anyone done any od green frames? I like to see grip reduction and stippiling if anyone had there od frame done. Pics? Something I'm thinking on doing to mine. The np3 look good too.

agtman, What did it cost you to do your slide and barrel in np3 by Robar? I had a g27 done years ago by cobra chrome but regretable got rid of it later. Finish was good. CCR I considered also. I'm thinking on doing my g23 and g27 slides and barrels. I like your grips also.
Big Dawg #1399, HK Club #1399, .40 club #1399, Black Rifle #1399, Sub Club #1399, Sig club #1399, 1911 Club #1399, 21 Club #1399, Kahr club #1399, S&W club #1399,

Last edited by Bravo2; 08-18-2012 at 02:04..
Bravo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 18:43   #13
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo2 View Post
Anyone done any od green frames? I like to see grip reduction and stippiling if anyone had there od frame done. Pics? Something I'm thinking on doing to mine. The np3 look good too.

agtman, What did it cost you to do your slide and barrel in np3 by Robar? I had a g27 done years ago by cobra chrome but regretable got rid of it later. Finish was good. CCR I considered also. I'm thinking on doing my g23 and g27 slides and barrels. I like your grips also.
PM sent ...

agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 21:06   #14
Meathead9

Does the Grip reduction reduce the length of pull, or just flatten out the dreaded hump? I looked at my grip recently, and I noticed that my hand doesn't even touch the hump in the backstrap. The SF grip is perfect for me anyway, so I don't need one, but I'm curious anyway.

I felt the biggest difference in the feel of the Glock grip when I had one of my G20SF's done by Glockworx. I had the finger grooves removed, double undercut the trigger guard & 360 stippled. I get a higher grip, and the total grip circumference was reduced, but the length of pull is about the same.
Old 08-21-2012, 16:17   #15
MinervaDoe

When I was younger and stronger, I never noticed any issues when shooting the G21. But lately, I noticed that it would occassionally twist in my hand. So, I went to a grip reduction.

My gunsmith carried a G21 with a grip reduction when he was a police officer, and he carries one today. He offered me a selection of texturing. I got a finish with a real sandpaper feel to it. He gave the grip a 1911 style angle.

It feels like an improvement to me. It's subjective, but maybe it feels like it has a tad less give now. I'm not sure though. Here it is with its cousin (my G20 SF).

The 10 Ring

MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 20:05   #16
roknjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo2 View Post

Wondering the same thing. I have a G20 in OD I'd like to have reduced.

"Can't never did anything.". My Dad
roknjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51   #17
ricklee4570

Does the grip reduction weaken the frame? I ask this, because we all know the Glock frame flexes as it is fired. I am interested in long term durability. If you are thinning the sides, could frame crack occur? Also, is it possible over time the epoxy that is applied could lose adhesion and crack off?
Old 10-02-2012, 17:33   #18
Teecher45

I had Cold Bore Customs not only do a complete reduction but also had them chop it to fit a 30 mag. It was perfect for CC, except for one thing. The texture was a little rough for carry against the skin on those days I didn't wear an undershirt. I have never complained of the feel of a stock Glock, but after Lane got done with it it felt so much better. Worth it. The only reason I don't still have it is a guy shot it at the range and decided he wanted one just like it and offered me more than I had in it.
I ended up replacing it with a gen 4 21 and two extra mags, and a couple of boxes of GD's.
My daily CC is now a 29 of a PF9, according to dress.
I say go for it, send it to Lane. you'll love it.