GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2012, 15:13   #1
DaveG

Flying U.S. Flag Upside Down, on purpose.

Most of us know that flying the U.S. Flag upside down is a sign of distress.

Some folks have adopted flying the flag upside down today, to show a belief the the whole country is in distress under the current president, the latest of whom is my neighbor who told me his upside down flag was on purpose today when I asked him about it.

So, is it disrespectful to fly the flag upside down for this reason or is it exactly what our founding fathers would have wanted?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../2378535/posts

Last edited by DaveG; 04-30-2012 at 15:14..
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 15:50   #2
G23Gen4.40
.40 Rocks

I feel that using the flag in this manner is disrespectful.
G23Gen4.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 15:55   #3
eracer
Where's my EBT?

I noticed in a scene from 'The Big Bang Theory' that the flag sticker on the top of Sheldon's laptop was upside-down.

I wondered if they did that on purpose, then realized that the flag would be right-side-up when the lid was closed.

Then I noticed that other stickers were right-side-up when the lid was opened (i.e. only the flag was upside-down.)

Now I'm confused. Was the flag sticker upside-down or not?
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 16:31   #4
JBnTX
Texas

Unless you're under distress and asking for assistance, flying the flag upside down is disrespectful to the American flag.

Just because you don't like the current president (I don't like him either),
is no reason to disrespect the country or it's flag.

A WWII veteran should know better.

Last edited by JBnTX; 04-30-2012 at 16:36..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 16:33   #5
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Just fly the Gadsden.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 16:37   #6
frank4570
Silver Membership

Yes it is disrespectful.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 16:46   #7
Brucev

I cannot remember a time when I did not have a almost reverent respect for the flag of our nation. I still do. A few years ago I was helping church members sort rags for collection. In that pile of filth I saw what looked like and what turned out to be a U.S. flag. I took it out... gave the attendant $20 so no one would complain and took that flag home. It took three cycles in the washing machine before it was clean. Then it was starched, ironed and folded neatly into a traditional triangle. Periodically I use it with children and youth groups in discussions about God and country. I cannot imagine that even the extreme of the squatter in the white house would be good enough cause to fly it upside down. That's just my opinion.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 17:29   #8
czsmithGT

THE FLAG CODE
Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
Approved July 7, 1976

176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
czsmithGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 17:29   #9
Gary W Trott
Prickley Fan

"June 28, 2002

The Upside-Down Flag

Political Issues

By Aaron Zelman
Executive Director of Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership

One recent afternoon I was working outdoors when a stranger rode up on a motorcycle and started giving me a hard time. No, he wasn't an outlaw biker; he was an ordinary patriotic American. But he didn't like what he saw in my front yard.

It was a U.S. flag. But it was flying upside-down, as it always does at the Zelman household.

He growled that he was a Vietnam vet and that he'd fought for that flag, and he didn't like me showing it disrespect. I answered that I was also a Vietnam vet. But I told him that he _hadn't_ fought for the flag (which is only a symbol); he'd fought for the Bill of Rights -- the document that sets America apart from lesser countries.

And I told him that flying the flag upside-down was as great a sign of respect for my country as I could think of. After all, America is in trouble, and flying its flag upside-down is a sign of distress*. The inverted flag calls out to everybody who sees: "Please help the United States. Don't let the most promising nation on earth fall into tyranny."..." Read More

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"What I want most from the government is to be left alone." GWT
"Don't take my, or anyone else's, word for anything. Look it up for yourself." William Cooper on The Hour of The Time
Gary W Trott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 17:32   #10
JBnTX
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W Trott View Post
"June 28, 2002

The Upside-Down Flag

Political Issues

By Aaron Zelman

One recent afternoon I was working outdoors when a stranger rode up on a motorcycle and started giving me a hard time. No, he wasn't an outlaw biker; he was an ordinary patriotic American. But he didn't like what he saw in my front yard.

It was a U.S. flag. But it was flying upside-down, as it always does at the Zelman household.

He growled that he was a Vietnam vet and that he'd fought for that flag, and he didn't like me showing it disrespect. I answered that I was also a Vietnam vet. But I told him that he _hadn't_ fought for the flag (which is only a symbol); he'd fought for the Bill of Rights -- the document that sets America apart from lesser countries.

And I told him that flying the flag upside-down was as great a sign of respect for my country as I could think of. After all, America is in trouble, and flying its flag upside-down is a sign of distress*. The inverted flag calls out to everybody who sees: "Please help the United States. Don't let the most promising nation on earth fall into tyranny."..." Read More

WRONG!

Just because a few disgruntled people have given up on this country and think the United States is doomed, doesn't mean squat to those of us who still have faith in this country.

Fly your own flag as you wish, but don't disgrace my country and its flag by flying it upside down.

Don't disrespect my country by comparing it to Nazi Germany or Russia,
and don't insult the intelligence of the American people by slandering and degrading the reputation of this great country.

Last edited by JBnTX; 04-30-2012 at 17:41..
Old 04-30-2012, 17:43   #11
Gary W Trott
Prickley Fan

The first time I ever saw the upside down flag done for distress was in the 1980s TV miniseries Amerika which was about the United States being occupied by East German and Soviet UN "peace keepers". The VFW WWII vets had it up protesting the occupiers and what they were doing to the nation. At more than 14 hours it was a little long, and really drawn out in some places but the story was interesting in how it told the tale of how different people adapted to the Eastern Bloc way of life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"What I want most from the government is to be left alone." GWT
"Don't take my, or anyone else's, word for anything. Look it up for yourself." William Cooper on The Hour of The Time
Gary W Trott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 17:52   #12
Gundude

Quote:
The inverted flag calls out to everybody who sees: "Please help the United States. Don't let the most promising nation on earth fall into tyranny."
Actually, the way I read the code, it calls out to everybody who sees: "The people in this house are in need of immediate assistance to save their lives or property. Please summon fire and police and help if you can."

But I guess whatever it is that that guy made up is fine too.

Maybe I'll call 911 tonight and tell them the nation's going broke and we need help.

(If I agree with JBnTX one more time I'm going to have to go see a shrink...)
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 17:59   #13
JBnTX
Texas

Want mine's phone number?
Old 04-30-2012, 18:04   #14
Gundude

Shame on you for enjoying yourself during these times of such dire distress and extreme danger to life and property.

Politics is dead serious. All the time. No exceptions. Doom and gloom or bust.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 18:28   #15
lancesorbenson

I wish people had the same fierce dedication to the founding principles and Constitution as they do for the piece of fabric that is supposed to embody the same. The founders didn't risk their lives and fortunes for a flag.
lancesorbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 18:45   #16
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancesorbenson View Post
I wish people had the same fierce dedication to the founding principles and Constitution as they do for the piece of fabric that is supposed to embody the same. The founders didn't risk their lives and fortunes for a flag.
Great point. Take JBnTX for instance, he gets all wound up with his flag waving yet, he wants to scrap or COTUS and write a new one.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 18:48   #17
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
"June 28, 2002

The Upside-Down Flag

Political Issues

By Aaron Zelman

Good comment!

I had flag upside down on my avatar for a while.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 18:55   #18
Ramjet38
SONS OF LIBERTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
I cannot remember a time when I did not have a almost reverent respect for the flag of our nation. I still do. A few years ago I was helping church members sort rags for collection. In that pile of filth I saw what looked like and what turned out to be a U.S. flag. I took it out... gave the attendant $20 so no one would complain and took that flag home. It took three cycles in the washing machine before it was clean. Then it was starched, ironed and folded neatly into a traditional triangle. Periodically I use it with children and youth groups in discussions about God and country. I cannot imagine that even the extreme of the squatter in the white house would be good enough cause to fly it upside down. That's just my opinion.
A Patriot speaks words of what a patriot would say.

Last edited by Ramjet38; 04-30-2012 at 19:00..
Ramjet38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 20:35   #19
JBnTX
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post

Great point. Take JBnTX for instance, he gets all wound up with his flag waving yet, he wants to scrap or COTUS and write a new one.

Nobody wants to write a new constitution.

The constitution needs some serious updating to reflect the country
we have today instead of what we had in the 1700's.

Nobody would lose any freedoms or rights.
Nothing in the bill of rights would change.

With today's speed of light communication devices, we don't need 535 members
of congress. We'd do just fine with less than half that amount.

Why do we vote on only one day, and why is it on a Tuesday
when people have to work? Why not vote over several days and on a weekend?

An update of the constitution would reduce the size of government
and save millions of dollars.

And other much needed updates.

Last edited by JBnTX; 04-30-2012 at 20:41..
Old 04-30-2012, 20:40   #20
Gunnut 45/454

This is why I fly the Gadsden Flag. Because the WH is under occupation by one who usurpered the office of POTUS! The Union Jack will not fly until the usurper is removed!