Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:59   #1
CarryTexas

Reloading data

I am trying to locate a good source of reloading tables for powder\bullet combos mainly for .223\5.56 loads.

I can find this data for the big name bullets like Hornady and Speer, but I am interested in data for bulk bullets

An example would be Midsouth

Can you just use data for any 55 grain .224 jacketed bullet or do I need to be more specific and actually find data on the brand?
CarryTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:05   #2
Cwlongshot

For an accuracy loading, I have yet to see a 223 that didn't shoot a load of H322 sparked by a Rem match primer and topped with a 52/53G match bullet that did not shoot well.

Another powder thats done well for me is 2015.

CW
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07   #3
10mmbob

I've used the varmint nightmare bullets before, and just used the data from another 55gr. jacketed bullet, but started out 10-15 % lower and worked the load back up watching for pressure.
10mmbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 13:45   #4
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
For an accuracy loading, I have yet to see a 223 that didn't shoot a load of H322 sparked by a Rem match primer and topped with a 52/53G match bullet that did not shoot well.

Another powder thats done well for me is 2015.

CW
I was prety dissapointed w/ H322 & 55gr FMJ in my M&P. AA2520 easily shot groups half the size, same for TAC. I know every rifle is diff, but it did surprise me too.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:14   #5
CarryTexas

Does anyone have some online links for loading data for a large number of bullet\powder combos?
CarryTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:48   #6
F106 Fan

You can use Google as well as anyone here. Just search for '.223 load' There will about 1,690,000 responses. Plenty of data!

You may have wondered why nobody has offered up a compendium of links. That's because no Internet load has any credibility whatsoever. And that includes the loads offered up around here.

You must be able to take suggested loads back to some published source (printed loading manual, powder manufacturer's manual, manufacturer's web site) for validation. You must know that the proposed load falls within the realm of minimum to maximum for the identical components and COL. There are some shortcuts you can take after you have a bunch of experience but these will be revealed over time. In the end, you want to use loads that are backed up by liability insurance. "Billy Bob's Hot AR Loads" doesn't qualify!

So, given that you need some form of published source for reference, why not start with a couple:

"Sierra Rifle & Handgun Reloading Data"

They have a lot of information for AR-15 type loads (and separate data for bolt-action .223) and about 18 different powder possibilities for the 55 gr bullet alone.

"Speer Reloading Manual #14"

They have information on 14 powder choices for 55 gr bullets. Plus all the other bullet weights.

The Hodgdon folks have about 15 loads for the 55 gr SP:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

You can get MAX loads at the Alliant site (but no published minimum other than discounting MAX by 10%). I use Alliant powder but the site is not my favorite.

For rifle, Sierra is my first choice and it has data for a 55 gr Soft Point.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 05-01-2012 at 16:57..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:04   #7
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTexas View Post
Does anyone have some online links for loading data for a large number of bullet\powder combos?
Have you tried Hodgdon's site: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

They have a lot of powder data and most bullet weights. There are only so many bullet styles. You can find loads for Hornady bulk bullets on there, but you won't find every bullet available at any site.

If your looking for good ball powders for the .223, try: TAC, H-335, BL-(C2), AA2520, WW 748. While not a ball powder a lot of people like Varget too.

You can use starting charges for different 55gr. bullets as long as they have the same basic shape.

Such as fmj, hpbt, sp. Just start low and work up slow.

Besides Hodgdon's try Alliant powder, some of the large bullet makers have loading info on their sites.

If that fails try investing in 2 or3 good reloading manuals
Old 05-01-2012, 17:07   #8
ColoCG

Sorry F106 Fan you beat me to it.

But I did like your opening line.

Last edited by ColoCG; 05-01-2012 at 17:11..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:38   #9
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTexas View Post
It's important to understand that load data is not a recipe and should not be treated as such, it is merely a guideline. You will rarely find load data that matches your components exactly, in fact you will never find an exact match.
Select data from a number of sources of Same weight with similar design and construction regardless of bullet manufacturer. Then start low and work up.