SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2012, 14:54   #41
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
They are old, not retarded. My point was a non-gun couple can be turned into a rimfire rifle wielding couple pretty easily. I admit the laser and light are probably a bit much but if the choice was long gun as the OP said, then a 10/22 is good choice. That is assuming the couple is willing to learn how to use a firearm.

I think in terms of cost and training, a non-gun couple would most likely be more willing to buy and practice with a 22 rifle than a shotgun or pistol or whatever else.

On more than one occasion I have found myself with nothing but a .22 handy, never had to use one, but I have no doubt I have the personality required to use one in self defense. I however know many people who might lack the willpower to repeatedly shoot and agressive individual, or worse might abandon the gun under stress if the first round didn't provide the desired effect.

My wife is a sort of example of this. She loves her 12ga "coach gun" even more than her pump. Her theory goes like this,

"If I have to point it at someone, and they are stupid enough,at that point, to test my will to pull the trigger, well, maybe the gene pool would be better off without that brand of stupid."

Basically, for her, the thought that someone would try their luck against a double twelve would surely indicate the danger they represent.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 15:08   #42
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake_jumper View Post
Moving is always an option. Only an idiot would think otherwise.
My mom, dad and I moved from Taylor, MI to a smaller town in Indiana when the place started going to crap. If you can't run with the big dawgs stay on the porch and if the dogs on the porch are still too big find a different porch. Seems like there'd be a nice retirement area in FL. or AZ. where it'd be safer to live IMHO.
Moving IS NOT a stupid idea, especially if you're older and don't really have any ties to the area you live in at the time.
Old 05-03-2012, 15:16   #43
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

That's an easy one!

Shotgun!

12 or 20 loaded with #4 will get the job done rather quickly.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 15:18   #44
CBennett

Quote:
They should move to another neighborhood.
this 100%!
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 15:48   #45
BigA

Quote:
They should move to another neighborhood.
What a chicken ***** thing to do.
BigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:03   #46
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
What a chicken ***** thing to do.
So you'd rather have this old couple stay put, arm themselves and duke it out with the local Thugs?
Old 05-03-2012, 16:51   #47
wjv

Seriously, their situation would be easily solved by a mid-sized .357 filled with +P .38 rounds and a trigger job. . But since they said no handguns I'd go with

- a .22 rifle such as the 10/22 with a couple standard 10 round magazines filled with some hot CCI Velocitor ammo.

- a SxS shotgun in 20 ga with some medium weight shot.

I'd actually take a lever .22 over a 10/22. But in their case it would be easier to unload it simply by taking the magazine out. If they are uneasy about keeping a loaded gun in the house, they could keep the 10/22 empty with 3-5 loaded magazines.

Whatever they do they should go to a local range and get some practice with whatever they buy.

You might want to explain the benefits of a private party purchase if their State allows it.

As others have mentioned, good locks, alarms, dogs, motion lights and such all can help avoid the need to have to use the gun.

I bought a two pack of LED motion lights from Costco for $20. They use 3 AA batteries and can be installed in about 5 minutes each. Put mine up in Jan and the batteries are still running strong. They put out decent light and they trip if anything gets within 15 feet or so. (somewhat adjustable). $20 and 10 minutes is a cheap way to add some security.

General Firearms Forum

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 05-03-2012 at 16:53..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:55   #48
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
So you'd rather have this old couple stay put, arm themselves and duke it out with the local Thugs?
When your older you need to be near places like medical centers, community centers and other facilities. So where would you suggest they move to that is devoid of crime, but still offers advanced medical care.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:03   #49
Lt Scott 14

Lights, timers, deadbolt locks, trimmed shubbery, even a mixed dog who barks, make a secure house. With seniors, hearing and vision become challenged, memories of "did you lock the back door?" Visit more often, take some soft bread, or a breakfast dish and make sure they know to dial 911 if anything appears strange.
A 20 ga SxS also boosts morale, hope they never need it.
Old 05-03-2012, 17:22   #50
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
When your older you need to be near places like medical centers, community centers and other facilities. So where would you suggest they move to that is devoid of crime, but still offers advanced medical care.
Sun City is West of Phoenix, AZ, is a retirement community with a very low crime rate and it set up for retired folks with all the medical and community centers that they could ask for. You can even drive your golf cart on the street.
Fairfield Glade just North East of Crossville, TN is a retirement community with a very low crime rate that caters to retired folks as well.
You just need to look around a bit and you'll see all kind of places for retired folks to move to so they won't have to deal with living in a high crime area.
Old 05-03-2012, 18:11   #51
Bob Hafler

Quote:
If they are too old to move, then they are too old to wield a weapon.
Did you ever think for one moment that they might not be able to move because of there financial situation, and not there physical abilities. Probably not... Carry on.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:24   #52
countrygun

Quote:
If they are too old to move, then they are too old to wield a weapon.

My career kept me on the move most of my life. I retired two years ago to my dream place, at age 50. As far as I am concerned I am "too old" to move again. would you say I am too old to wield a weapon?

Moving is not always an option and especially in this financial climate. People are not pieces on a chessboard.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:58   #53
ScottieG59

There should be easier answers for something we will all face if we live long enough.

I agree that the home should be secured better and with an alarm system. There is plenty of information out there on this, though most sites just want to sell things.

Moving helps, but out in the country, we have Meth heads. They break into all sorts of homes.

Medical and other support services in the area will be needed. Also, neighbors looking out for each other can help.

Guns, as we all should know, are a last line of personal defense. It is not easy to choose the best system without knowing the people and their capabilities. People can always learn, but training should be formal and professionally presented. All I say here is that the weapon should be usable by all in the home.

I know how fear can make those of us who trained for combat sometimes are unprepared for the stress and fog. It is easy to lose your composure and your bearings in combat.

An appropriate example here is when a man's wife got out of bed during the night. The husband wakes when he hears banging sounds in the hall outside the bedroom. Fearing for his and his wife's safety, he stands ready with a shotgun. The bedroom door opens slowly and he shoots, killing the intruder. Unfortunately, the intruder was his wife who was bumping into things in the dark presumably not to disturb the husband with the lights.

There are also cases where people freeze in panic or forget how to operate a firearm in actual civilian combat.

Basically, combat in the civilian world is something many enter into armed with a lot of ignorance. The smart method is to have a safe room, fully charged mobile phones, a panic button for the alarm system and firearms with a good deal of training.

Training cannot be overemphasized. In combat, you will likely not perform at the level at which you trained.

Anyway, I threw a bunch out there and there are many others with good methods to be safe. Just do not forget, the gun is for use only after every single defensive layer has been breached. The gun is not for threatening or scaring; it is for use to stop the threat with lethal force.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:06   #54
BigA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Sun City is West of Phoenix, AZ, is a retirement community with a very low crime rate and it set up for retired folks with all the medical and community centers that they could ask for. You can even drive your golf cart on the street.
Fairfield Glade just North East of Crossville, TN is a retirement community with a very low crime rate that caters to retired folks as well.
You just need to look around a bit and you'll see all kind of places for retired folks to move to so they won't have to deal with living in a high crime area.
Well Well no wonder we talking easy move. Folks living in Fairfield Glade dont have to worry bout money. Thier a buncha wealthy folks moving in from all over . Local mountain folks like us cant afford that kinda life style. Deltona is a lota low middle class people that probably cant afford to move there. I got relatives in Deltona Florida it's a nice place but like anywhere else they gotta few bad apples. You just gotta chunk em outa the barrel
BigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:12   #55
Brucev

They are not gun nuts. They are not able to move. Fine. Secure all windows with bars. Secure all doors with heavy steel doors/frames. Do motion activated lights and alarms. If the yard is fenced, get a bad tempered dog. This will not satisfy the "last stand at the Alamo" types, but so what. They live in a fantasy world. As far as a gun is concerned, if they are able to handle a shotgun, then by all means that is the way to go. A standard hunting type will be fine. They don't need the tacti-cool junk. If they can't handle the recoil, a 10-22 w/ banana clip will be very good. Since they will have the good sense to stay in the bed room and cal the police, they will not need a light or lazer. At across the room distance, they will have no trouble filling the door sized entry way with .22 LR rounds. Again, this will not suit some. So what. They are not the ones who are making the decisions.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:12   #56
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Yep. Something goes bump in the night, you hunker down in the bedroom, call the cops, and wait for the cavalry to show up with the shotgun leveled at the bedroom door. No need for a light or laser, and no need to go searching the house without training.
Exactly right.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:38   #57
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
I bought a two pack of LED motion lights from Costco for $20. They use 3 AA batteries and can be installed in about 5 minutes each. Put mine up in Jan and the batteries are still running strong. They put out decent light and they trip if anything gets within 15 feet or so. (somewhat adjustable). $20 and 10 minutes is a cheap way to add some security.

General Firearms Forum
YES! I bought those same lights at Costco! THEY ROCK!!!

And there is NO SHAME in moving people!!!! I moved out of the ghetto as soon as I could. Of course, it WASN'T the ghetto when I was growing up, but it BECAME the ghetto because that's how South FL is now. It's very sad what has happened to this country....ghetto has taken over!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:44   #58
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

.38 Revolver with a 4" barrel. No .357's; it sounds as if they're too weak to handle the recoil. I'm not so sure I agree with a long-gun in this assessment. A double 20 guage? Eh....no.

I would advise a couple of used but good-conditioned .38 revolvers stashed in safe places around their house, and perhaps, one light-recoiling 9mm Semi-auto.

And make sure they do follow up on the training.

Last edited by Jade Falcon; 05-03-2012 at 20:47..
Jade Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:47   #59
glock2740
Gun lover.

Get off my damn lawn...punk(s).

General Firearms Forum
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30   #60
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutland View Post
One of my colleagues at work, who happens to live in Deltona, has noticed the crime problem increasing in the last few years, asked for my thoughts for a gun around the home. He is slight of build, as is his wife. He has never shot a firearm before, and is in his late sixties. His wife also wants to have a gun available, and both have advised that they will spend time to learn how to use it. I have suggested a 20 gauge side by side under the keep it simple approach. They do not want a handgun. Any thoughts or other advice. No kids in home.

I highlighted the important passages for those of you insisting the couple move. They want a gun. They said nothing about moving. Since the man in question still works I am guessing he is of sound mind and can make up his own mind if he wants a gun or not. I suggest a 20 gauge of some kind also.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote