SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-05-2012, 13:52   #1
glockbanger

Looking for New Hunting rifle

What do you suggest?

I want something in a widely available popular caliber. .308, 30-06, .270. Something to hunt white tails with. What's the best gun for the money? Any advice you can give would be great.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Looking for .308
Under $500
bolt action (preferably Mauser action?)
Medium-Long Range
Reliable
Wood or Synthetic, whatever I can get a more sturdy stock in?

Would everyone agree that Savage is the best bang for the buck?
Which Savage model are we talkin'?

Thanks!

Last edited by glockbanger; 05-07-2012 at 00:25..
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 14:27   #2
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Short to medium range, or long range?
If short-range, bolt-action, or semi-auto?
If bolt, Long-action or short-action.
If semi-auto, do you want a pure hunting rifle, or one that can double as a tactical weapon?
There are many fine rifles out there chambered in the cartridges you mentioned.
If you (like me) prefer a smaller stock, look at the Remington Model Seven chambered in 7mm-08.
If you, like most people, prefer the most common and versatile cartridge, get a 30.06.
Then get a Remington, Savage, Browning, Ruger, or other.

As you can tell from the tone of my answer - there is no 'best.'
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 05-05-2012 at 14:27..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 18:04   #3
mgs
Always Carrying

30-06 or 308 just always works and ammo is everywhere, Mike.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 20:14   #4
K.Kiser

The model 700 Rem can be bought for under $400 in it's base form, in the calibers that you mentioned which are all excellent choices... I've never seen an animal survive a solid hit from anyone of them for very long at all... We've had plenty of them all from small to the big wizbang super slammers and most things in between including the wildcats and as time goes on I get less and less picky with what caliber I'm carrying... There are just soooooooo many calibers that are just fine choices for non-dangerous game that I could type numbers for 5 pages, but the ones you mentioned are excellent...

With all my BS outta tha way, I go back to the plain jane model 700 in a .308 or a 30-06 for the best bang for the buck... Due to a very broad bullet selection for different game, ammo in all brands can be found easily found at comparably low prices for a very versatile rifle that is very accurate... There are mounds of nice rifles and calibers, but if forced to pick the best bang for the buck this is it..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 20:15   #5
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Ruger 308 Rifles

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/ruger-308-rifles/

I really like the Compact best.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...fles-carbines/
Old 05-05-2012, 20:16   #6
flyfishrman

Man oh man, this is a loaded question. You're sure to get a ton of answers. Since you're asking I'll give you my opinion. If you can spend $500 - $600 a great option is the Tikka T3 line. Sako makes as fine a hunting rifle as anyone and they make Tikka for import through Beretta who owns them. Nearly identical action and they are as accurate as you can shoot out of the box. You won't get as polished a rifle aesthetically as a Sako, but very nice shooters. I've been hunting a .270 wsm T3 Lite for about 6 years now and love it. I prefer the short action round. I love switching in and out of pistols and shotguns, but for some reason I've not had a bit of desire to swap that Tikka out. I am thinking about adding a Sako in 7mm or maybe .300 win mag, but the .270 wsm is a keeper. If you want to spend less I think Savage is back on their game and making good stuff these days for a little less. Don't be afraid to check out your local pawn shops as well if you don't mind used. My best friend picked up a Savage 7mm about 8 years ago for $75 and has been hunting with it ever since. It's a tack driver! You might get more gun for your $$ going the used route. Best of luck and let us know what you end up with.
flyfishrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 20:19   #7
flyfishrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Kiser View Post
The model 700 Rem can be bought for under $400 in it's base form, in the calibers that you mentioned which are all excellent choices... I've never seen an animal survive a solid hit from anyone of them for very long at all... We've had plenty of them all from small to the big wizbang super slammers and most things in between including the wildcats and as time goes on I get less and less picky with what caliber I'm carrying... There are just soooooooo many calibers that are just fine choices for non-dangerous game that I could type numbers for 5 pages, but the ones you mentioned are excellent...

With all my BS outta tha way, I go back to the plain jane model 700 in a .308 or a 30-06 for the best bang for the buck... Due to a very broad bullet selection for different game, ammo in all brands can be found easily found at comparably low prices for a very versatile rifle that is very accurate... There are mounds of nice rifles and calibers, but if forced to pick the best bang for the buck this is it..
Can't argue with this. Very solid advice as well. No matter where you are you can pick up .308, 30-06, or .270 at about every redneck hunting shop on the planet. I think you're on the right track with any of those calibers for whitetail.
Old 05-05-2012, 23:08   #8
glockbanger

Sorry for the vague description guys. I prefer a wood bolt action. Preferably around $500, but I'd pay more for the right gun. Medium range. I am definitely looking for reliability. I'll probably put a Leupold scope on it. I've heard 3-9x40mm is a popular option. I don't want it to be too extra light, not in 30-06 anyway. I need something to hunt white tails with. Hope it'll last a long time.

Where should I buy?

I know this seems like a silly question, but I've never bought a gun before except for a couple pistols through online classifieds. I know my brother has went through a private FFL holder before. Would any private FFL holder have access to order from any manufacturer available, same as a gun store. If so, this may be the most economic route for me.
Old 05-05-2012, 23:21   #9
glockbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrman View Post
Man oh man, this is a loaded question. You're sure to get a ton of answers. Since you're asking I'll give you my opinion. If you can spend $500 - $600 a great option is the Tikka T3 line. Sako makes as fine a hunting rifle as anyone and they make Tikka for import through Beretta who owns them. Nearly identical action and they are as accurate as you can shoot out of the box. You won't get as polished a rifle aesthetically as a Sako, but very nice shooters. I've been hunting a .270 wsm T3 Lite for about 6 years now and love it. I prefer the short action round. I love switching in and out of pistols and shotguns, but for some reason I've not had a bit of desire to swap that Tikka out. I am thinking about adding a Sako in 7mm or maybe .300 win mag, but the .270 wsm is a keeper. If you want to spend less I think Savage is back on their game and making good stuff these days for a little less. Don't be afraid to check out your local pawn shops as well if you don't mind used. My best friend picked up a Savage 7mm about 8 years ago for $75 and has been hunting with it ever since. It's a tack driver! You might get more gun for your $$ going the used route. Best of luck and let us know what you end up with.
The tikkas look nice, got any idea what the stainless version runs? The only thing that I'm not necessarily a fan of is that it takes mags. What are the advantages of mags in bolt actions. I'm assuming the wear is on the mags rather than the gun itself.

Stainless may be another option that I may want. I realize that a wood furniture would usually raise the price of any rifle. Thats whats making it hard too I think. Simply to find an affordable nice looking rifle in wood. I just hate the look of some composite guns.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12   #10
flyfishrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
The tikkas look nice, got any idea what the stainless version runs? The only thing that I'm not necessarily a fan of is that it takes mags. What are the advantages of mags in bolt actions. I'm assuming the wear is on the mags rather than the gun itself.

Stainless may be another option that I may want. I realize that a wood furniture would usually raise the price of any rifle. Thats whats making it hard too I think. Simply to find an affordable nice looking rifle in wood. I just hate the look of some composite guns.
Glockbanger, mine is the T3 lite with SS barrel. I've had it for a while, but it was under $600. I hear you on the wood stock. I'm like you and I do like nice looking guns, but I've found that I personally tend to use my really nice things less. Bottom line for me is that anything I buy to hunt with I'm going to use, so I've always avoided really nice wood stocks because I don't want to be concerned about scratching my gun while I'm hunting. I also prefer to walk instead of ride to my stands and synthetic stocks are lighter which was important to me. As far as magazines go, that was a plus to me. I was concerned with the plastic mags, they after I thought about it I realized I have a safe full of Pmags for my .223. The new plastics are plenty tough, look at our glocks! I prefer the mags because I can purchase and carry extra, but I will admit it would suck to lose it or leave it in the car or your house. Even without it you can get a round chambered though. Hope that helps!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57   #11
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

For bolts I have a 30-06 (Good old Winchester with a Leupold), a 7mm mag (deciding on what to scope it with-Weatherby) and an old school Sako .338 win mag with a Shepherd Scope.

The way I look at it, calibers are like tools in your tool chest, they are all there for a different purpose. But, for white tail the '06 should do the job, the recoil is very managable, and ammo isn't all that bad.
Old 05-06-2012, 14:29   #12
glockaviator

Remington 700 in 308.

Why? They have the most accessories available. You can upgrade and modify it. 308 is a great cartridge and easy to learn reloading on. 308 makes a great starter sniper rifle as well as a satisfactory bench rifle.

Not sure what your scope budget is but a Nikon 3x-9 Buckmaster is a great scope to start with for around $250.

Dont be seduced by the magnums. Standard calibers are best. 30 caliber has way more bullets available than any other.

If you get tired of it in 308 you can have it rebarrelled to 260 Remington.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2012, 15:59   #13
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Much as it pains me to say it, if you aren't getting a CDL, BDL or Sendero, skip the Remington 700. While the action is solid, their entry level rifles sport some pretty chinsy stocks, generally terrible triggers (although the new triggers are adjustable IIRC) and even the old ADL's had a better fit and finish. They can be made into fantastic rifles, but they're pretty rough out of the box. If you want walnut and steel, get a CDL or BDL. Even those will benefit from glass bedding / free floating and a trigger job. I have two, and wouldn't give them up, but they needed a little help to go from good to great.

Savage will also have a chinsy stock and crappy finish, but at least they seem to shoot really well out of the box, and many of the new guns are bedded.

No experience with Tikka, but they seem to get rave reviews.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 19:52   #14
Jonesee

If you want functional over "purdy", I would get a Savage 30.06 with the accu-trigger.

It is damned ugly but shoots as well as any gun I know. 2 of my sons have them and I love them.

Nothing pretty about them. 100% ugly, functional and accurate. Kind of the Glock of rifles.

30.06 because nothing else has so many over the counter loads. From as light as you want to as heavy as you need for anything in North America.

Last edited by Jonesee; 05-06-2012 at 19:56..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 20:24   #15
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

.270 Win, .308 Win and 30/06...doesn't matter one iota. You'll find more factory loads for a 30-06 than either of the two but nobody stocks them. You'll find plenty of 150, 165 and 180 grain loads for both the .30 caliber options. Likewise you find plenty of 130, 140 and 150 grain options for the .270 Winchester. All three calibers are in the top 5 for deer caliber ammunition sales. There really is no wrong answer here. I like the .270 because I grew up reading Jack O'Connor. I also really enjoy shooting the 130 grain loads and have taken several dozen deer, hogs and various other critters on three continents with my .270 and I never had trouble finding ammo for it anywhere.

Even in a small gunshop in small village in Germany I found some .270 Winchester ammo...

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 00:28   #16
glockbanger

It seems like everyone is really talking up the Savage as being a great value and great out of the box shooter. I started out thinking wood only, but I've changed my mind. I like some of the camo guns, still have an aversion to the black bolt though, uck!

What savage model are we talking about specifically? And are the actions on these guns Mauser style?
Old 05-07-2012, 17:03   #17
auto-5

The new Ruger American rifles are getting some pretty good press. It is a different action than the M77 (Mauser action). The new gun has a 3 lug bolt kind of like the T/C bolt action.
auto-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 17:45   #18
justin10mm

I'd highly recommend a new Weatherby Vanguard. Its an inexpensive "real" rifle that will last you practically forever, not like the newer generation of plastic fantastic throw away rifles.
justin10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 00:13   #19
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-5 View Post
The new Ruger American rifles are getting some pretty good press. It is a different action than the M77 (Mauser action). The new gun has a 3 lug bolt kind of like the T/C bolt action.
A 6.25 pound .30-06? You're well into "Mountian Gun" territory. I wouldn't want to shoot it. I have an '06 in a 7.5 pound gun, and it's brutal with 180 grain loads. I fear the only tolerable chambering for this gun would be the .243.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin10mm View Post
I'd highly recommend a new Weatherby Vanguard. Its an inexpensive "real" rifle that will last you practically forever, not like the newer generation of plastic fantastic throw away rifles.
Heck of a first post. Welcome to the nuthouse, Justin. I like the Weatherby rifles too. Might be the strongest action out there...
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:35   #20
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
It seems like everyone is really talking up the Savage as being a great value and great out of the box shooter. I started out thinking wood only, but I've changed my mind. I like some of the camo guns, still have an aversion to the black bolt though, uck!

What savage model are we talking about specifically? And are the actions on these guns Mauser style?

Savage 111 with accu-trigger is the model.

I don't believe it is a Mauser action. I would have to grab one of my son's to look.

I've hunted for years with a Winchester Model 70 and I am totally serious about how much I like their Savage rifles.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote