SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:53   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Prepping for vacation?

I posed this question last year but I can't find the thread and I honestly haven't given thought to the issue any time recently until now. But after the year we've had, and the fact that we haven't gone on a vacation in over 12 years....we're due.

We're actually going to Florida and going to stay with my cousin. He does the same each year when he comes up here.

Anyway, since I've never gone on a vacation from the time I started carrying 10 years ago, it'll be slightly different this time.

I plan on throwing at least one unloaded pistol in with my luggage so it keeps the luggage monkey's grubby paws out of my stuff. I was also thinking of mailing some gear down there ahead of us.

But mainly I'm curious what you take/have with you when you... 1) Fly and 2) Are on vacation?

And BTW, I'm good to go with guns because Florida has reciprocity with PA.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27   #2
SFCSMITH(RET)

You don't just throw an unloaded pistol in your baggage. Go to both the TSA's site, and the EXACT airline you are going to fly website. Read, follow the instructions, and most importantly PRINT the guidence/instructions, and take them with you. Between the wife and I we have flown out of our little L'ville airport a couple dozen times with weapons, and trust me, it's always a bit of a hassel, and 8 out of 10 times, the agent at the gate does NOT know either the TSA requirements, or their OWN airlines policy. And of course if you can't show them their own info, they WILL tell you "we can't/don't/won't do that". Heard it more than once.

Do not take this as "instructions", but you need a TSA approved locking case, magazine out and empty, and ammo in a secure box. I use a pelican, with cut outs for my G27, 3 mags and a box of ammo.

Oh.. the rest of your question.. we do our best not to vacation anywhere we are not happy with the local laws/rules/regulations. Now days we do most of our vacation time camping in a travel trailer, so no problems. But for instance, we have been to Disney World several times, but DisneyLand only once, and only because work had us there for a conference.

Last edited by SFCSMITH(RET); 05-08-2012 at 06:42..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32   #3
20South

cash cash and more cash. I try not to fly anywhere for vacation with the family, but if I do that is the number one thing I make sure I have. If we are driving, nothing else changes from what is in the vehicles already. I think trying to take supplies to cover us in case of an event during the 3-4 days we would be away would likely just unnecessarily double what we have to carry and with my luck, get stolen from a hotel room/rental car while we were out being tourists. I can carry the cash or easily put it in a hotel safe. Besides, if shtf while we are 1000 miles from home, chances are that is my new home. There isn't going to be much chance of getting back with all my young kids anyway.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19   #4
RatDrall

I bring a small bag with basic gear in my suitcase. If space is a concern it's a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack Jumbo. If I have the room, or if I am going to be doing any hiking, I'll take a Pygmy Falcon. Everything from my bugout bag, except for a coat and a change of clothes, fits into the Pygmy.

You should always have what you need to quickly bug out if you have to.
RatDrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:37   #5
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Yeah go ahead and just throw that pistol into your bag before your flight. "Click Click"
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17   #6
DoctaGlockta

The pistol can and often is an issue. TSA is a bunch of FU's if you ask me so this is my advice.

Call the airline and specifically the checkin of your airport and speak to someone there at the terminal. Get their name and employee number. Ask them about the procedure.

This is most important. Ask them if they sell pistol cases at the counter. Yes you may pay more but you know that the TSA has less of a chance of saying 'This one is no good' when you can tell them that Crash Airlines just sold me it at the counter. If they don't then actually go to the airport and talk to a TSA agent (get name and number) and see what is acceptable.

You don't want to have to go back to the car and put it in the glove box right before your flight. Or have the TSA cuff you and blacklist you.

Good luck.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:44   #7
Kieller

I have flown with my pistol checked. They have extensive requirements and you must declare it when you check your baggage. Look up the requirements for your airline.

Major PITA to deal with. I won't do it again.
Old 05-09-2012, 14:08   #8
rem2429

every time I have flown with a gun has been a different experience.
get thier early, informed and equipped.
maybe if your family has a gun you could just skip that part?
do a little advance research on where you are going and how you could get out if needed. Roads, resources, emergency contacts etc. Then quit freaking worrying and take a vacation. That is what it is for.
rem2429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 14:18   #9
emt1581
Curious Member

Ok, so OTHER THAN putting a gun in your luggage....what do you take with you or ship ahead of time?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 05-09-2012, 18:38   #10
gotplastic

I have checked firearms numerous times and there are relatively few TSA requirements to meet. The two things to remember are 1-TSA can not remove the firearm or container from your sight; until it is locked back in your bag. 2-If you start getting any grief from TSA immediately request they have an actual police officer called over. The cop wont do anything, but his presence will deter the TSA wannabes from acting like bigshots. This is helped me big time on two occasions.
gotplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 18:54   #11
Aceman

I seriously think shipping to a local FFA would be faster, cheaper, easier, and safer. Go get it when you get there.
Aceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58   #12
Lone Kimono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
I seriously think shipping to a local FFA would be faster, cheaper, easier, and safer. Go get it when you get there.
I see why you would say that, but paying $45-$50 to ship it next day, and the FFL fee both ways is going to be over a hundred dollars. Buy a pelican case, get TSA approved locks, and you shouldn't have a problem. I've flown with pistols and it wasn't a problem at all...from a very liberal city too.

FYI, anyone going on Disney property can't have a gun. They could care less about concealed carry rights.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51   #13
sebecman

When you get to London, if you need a gun, call Boris. He can get you anything you want.
sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54   #14
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebecman View Post
When you get to London, if you need a gun, call Boris. He can get you anything you want.
Sneaky &*()^!* Russians!
Old 05-10-2012, 13:09   #15
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Kimono View Post
FYI, anyone going on Disney property can't have a gun. They could care less about concealed carry rights.
Yep that's right... lol.

Got 2 dozen or so days in the Magic Kingdom/Downtown Disney/Universal/Animal Kingdom and Sea World.. all of them with a G27 on my hip. Never even given a second look. You can't have them in Shades Of Green either... where we stay almost everytime we go.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 13:35   #16
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post
Yep that's right... lol.

Got 2 dozen or so days in the Magic Kingdom/Downtown Disney/Universal/Animal Kingdom and Sea World.. all of them with a G27 on my hip. Never even given a second look. You can't have them in Shades Of Green either... where we stay almost everytime we go.
+1

I just got back and there is NO signage regarding weapons. Everyone refers to the case where the lady had a Beretta Tomcat in her bag. They do check your bags, but its a real light check, a shade above a peek inside. Let's be honest here, its private property, and they are in the right to ask you to leave if they do not wish for you to come in armed. They are REALLY worried about Hajis and Crazies doing something more then anything.

While I didn't carry my G27, I have had everything from a 3" folder to a Kel Tec P32 in the parks. Honestly, you don't really need it and I only had the gun because I drove down with it. Disney security is pretty good. We had a thread about how rowdy drunks are whisked away by security/police that pop out of secret passages, with the efficiency of KGB agents.

Flying and checking in a gun is a PITA and you also have to worry about theft. I usually just stick with a knife, that I put in the CHECK luggage, not the carry on stuff. This trip I had a CRKT M16. If you feel that is not enough (and I have done this going to Universal) stop in any drug store and get pepper spray.

EMT you MUST check in your handgun with the airline when flying.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 05-10-2012 at 13:40..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:01   #17
emt1581
Curious Member

As far as Disney, I have as much respect for their rules as they do for my rights...so it's a mutual level of respect there.

I've carried in plenty of places that it's against the rules.... this is not to say I've ever broken a law though...big differences.

Home Depot can kiss me between the back pockets as well...

-Emt1581
Old 05-10-2012, 15:54   #18
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
As far as Disney, I have as much respect for their rules as they do for my rights...so it's a mutual level of respect there.
Way I look at it is that when I'm on their private property, violating their rules is trampling their rights. Their right to do as they please, on their private property. I don't have the right to carry at disney if they don't want me to, any more than I have the right to carry in your living room if you don't want me to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
I've carried in plenty of places that it's against the rules.... this is not to say I've ever broken a law though...big differences.
Not in arkansas at least; no difference at all.

Can't speak for disney or florida, but here in arkansas, 'breaking the rules' does equal 'breaking the law', if the rules are posted properly. If they put up a sign saying "carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited", that means that carrying is illegal there. Personally I don't mind that on private property like disney, a store, etc. I want the right to control what happens on my property, and to be consistent & intellectually honest means that I have to allow others that same right on their private property; disney world included.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 16:31   #19
RED64CJ5

Simple. If you need a firearm on your vacation, don't go.

There are plenty of other firearm-friendly things you can do.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:17   #20
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Kimono View Post
I see why you would say that, but paying $45-$50 to ship it next day, and the FFL fee both ways is going to be over a hundred dollars. Buy a pelican case, get TSA approved locks, and you shouldn't have a problem. I've flown with pistols and it wasn't a problem at all...from a very liberal city too.

I have been 10 times in the last 3 years. I have never seen a sign. I am aware there was a bog todo about not letting emploees have them anywhere including the parking lot.

While there is a bag search at the entrance, you do not have to empty your pockets, lift your shirt or go through a metal detector. I do not believe that Florida law prohibits carry. So concealed means concealed. They can pretty much throw you out for anything, so I do not worry about their rules which are not apparent.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote