SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:01   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Need some shorts

Normally I wear Carhartt pants around the house. They are super durable and super comfortable. I ride with them, wear them to "dress-down Fridays" at work, do house work in them, work in my garage in them, etc. Plus I can load them up with 10-20lbs of gear, tools (depending on whatever I'm building that day), etc....and the stitching stays in tact.

Well, as some of you may have read in the other thread, we're finally going on a vacation. And I can't wear my Carhartts because it'll be in the 90's and humid as hell (central Florida) in July/August.

So now I need some good shorts to wear. Shorts that can at least handle my EDC gear (LCP, Wallet, CS Rajah II, pen in pockets) (Leatherman Surge and Fenix on belt). At the same time it'd be nice if they were light enough and breathable as not to give me any swampy conditions anywhere....

Any ideas on what brands to look at for comfort and durability? I just want a pair or two.

Thanks

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:20   #2
bdcochran

I took the challenge

I took the challenge and googled the manufacturer.

Lo and behold, the company does make walking shorts.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:22   #3
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
I took the challenge and googled the manufacturer.

Lo and behold, the company does make walking shorts.
Carhartt?? Really?!?

I'm thinking they are the real heavy material ones that their pants are made from though. Not sure those will help me to avoid the swamp...

Thanks

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:30   #4
Dexters

EMT my friend,
Go to REI or similar store and look for hiking pants with zip off lower legs - they will fit many needs now and in the future.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18   #5
bdcochran

ok - let's take a stab at it

Human physiology. Very little heat is being released through the legs. You buy a wide brim hat designed to block sun rays and keep the head cool. Go to a Marine supply store. Another alternative is a take off on the French Foreign Legion cap with the neck protection. I have a couple of long brim baseball type hats with lightweight neck protection. You have to find your own. The woman who made mine is retired, if not dead by now.

You buy microfiber shirts.

You rehydrate frequently.

Florida - bugs! Buy your insect repellent.

None of this should be new to an EMT.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34   #6
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
EMT my friend,
Go to REI or similar store and look for hiking pants with zip off lower legs - they will fit many needs now and in the future.
I got a pair of Mountain Hardware zip offs a couple of years ago on a clearance sale and they are my favorite pants by far and darn near year round wear.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:46   #7
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
You buy a wide brim hat designed to block sun rays and keep the head cool.
I have this - great air flow.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/stetso...LAID=930985868
Old 05-08-2012, 09:02   #8
DrSticky

So Texas has similar weather and when I am not dressed like a cube jockey, I like Columbia Shirts to keep cool, and Tru Spec 24-7 shorts. A good belt is necessary with most of these shorts.

I carry an LCP, Leatherman Juice, CKRT Ignitor folder in my pockets. Sometimes the Canon powershot in a cargo pocket too. I like the TruSpec because it has a flexible waistband so if I want to add the Full-Size Kimber IWB, I can without issue. It is made of that funky nylon, but doesn't feel like parachute pants. It dries quickly and has put up with my poor attempts at gardening. The wife thinks they look good. Downside is that they are not a stain resistant as you would expect the teflon coating to be.

I also wear Ex Officio shirts, and 5.11 shorts. I don't like the back pockets on the 5.11 shorts, although I normally don't carry anything back there. The Ex Officio Bug Away are great but expensive so I generally don't wear them unless I am going camping.

Last edited by DrSticky; 05-08-2012 at 09:03.. Reason: Typo
DrSticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53   #9
Protus

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Normally I wear Carhartt pants around the house. They are super durable and super comfortable. I ride with them, wear them to "dress-down Fridays" at work, do house work in them, work in my garage in them, etc. Plus I can load them up with 10-20lbs of gear, tools (depending on whatever I'm building that day), etc....and the stitching stays in tact.

Well, as some of you may have read in the other thread, we're finally going on a vacation. And I can't wear my Carhartts because it'll be in the 90's and humid as hell (central Florida) in July/August.

So now I need some good shorts to wear. Shorts that can at least handle my EDC gear (LCP, Wallet, CS Rajah II, pen in pockets) (Leatherman Surge and Fenix on belt). At the same time it'd be nice if they were light enough and breathable as not to give me any swampy conditions anywhere....

Any ideas on what brands to look at for comfort and durability? I just want a pair or two.

Thanks

-Emt1581
about any kind of cargo short will work down here. Stay away from denim. Wear some wicking breifs or boxers. no cotton if your gonna be outside a ton.
Shirts. Plain t-shirts will do, but if your outdoors longsleve fishing shirts like patagonia,columbia etc. will do two things. keep you dry and cool and keep the sun/bugs off you.( reason i say LS vs short sleves. ).Plus they do well for hiking,fishing etc and can be used outside this AO.
Hats wide brim if your outdoors or a ball cap. I always wear a cap.Light colors. boonie hats are cool, but i wear a mesh sides columbia boonie. Its light weight, doesnt hold in the heat.
Socks...you can rock cotton ones but i dont.

middle of the state here is hotter than the coast( west coast will be warmer than the east). If they forecast 85f on the coast expect it to be 10-15f hotter inland and humidity to be rocking. Yesterday it was 80f+ and 90% humidity at 5 pm and thats on the east coast!
Protus is offline   Reply With Quote