GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:45   #81
robertoh

When Obama's inflation kicks in about this summer from all the trillions the Goverment is printing you'll see Gold and Silver and many other commities jump in price.
I was a young married man when President Carter helped to almost sink America.And lot of things that happened then are happening now also. Some gold and silver in your closet won't hurt a thing.
robertoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 13:09   #82
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Some gold and silver in your closet won't hurt a thing.
Along with a couple years supply of food and ammo. If nothing else it's better than money in the bank.

Silver is at $28.39 right now.
http://www.providentmetals.com/bulli...s-slv/ase.html

Those American Silver Eagles are really pretty.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 17:23   #83
Atlas
transmogrifier

I hope, I hope, I hope, gold drops at least another 40 - 50% in the near future!!!

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 18:32   #84
Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I hope, I hope, I hope, gold drops at least another 40 - 50% in the near future!!!
Is that because you want to buy a bunch of it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 21:50   #85
cowboy1964

I think the U.S. dollar may have a pretty good next 12-24 months as the Euro collapses. But long term it's doomed.

Gold under $1400 and silver under $25 is going to be really, really tempting. It may not even go that low though.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 05-14-2012 at 23:36..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 21:53   #86
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
To the gold bugs – if Romney wins dump gold. Romney likes to fire people. Expect fiscal restraint.
Sure. You apparently have no idea the depth of the problems nor the resistance to real change that he will meet (IF he even tries in the first place).

http://usdebtclock.org/

Didn't it seem like just a few months ago the debt passed $14 trillion? We're now closing in on $16 trillion.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 05-14-2012 at 23:39..
Old 05-14-2012, 21:54   #87
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I think the U.S. dollar may have a pretty good next 12-24 months as the Euro collapses. But long term it's doomed.
If so then I may get my wish.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:46   #88
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Romney didn't fire nearly enough people here AND raised ever fee in the flipping state by at least double. Oh, but he didn't raise taxes.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55   #89
Little Joe
Platinum Membership

Romney is definitely not the answer, but I'd rather try a new idiot over the one we've got.
Little Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 13:46   #90
mhill

Careful rough times here.

https://www.igolder.com/gold-charts/
Old 05-15-2012, 14:03   #91
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocksanity View Post
That is just the paper price.

Very few are selling actual physical gold and silver.

The market manipulation continues in the pm markets with naked shorting. Nothing new here. Just a good time to stack some more. Get it while you can.

I don't know about the "very few are selling actual gold and silver" I see more than I could ever buy on the market

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04   #92
cowboy1964

Well, looks like this latest buying opportunity is over. Silver up 4% so far today.
Old 05-17-2012, 21:52   #93
bobby_w
Platinum Membership
Alienigena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Well, looks like this latest buying opportunity is over. Silver up 4% so far today.
Not arguing, but it is still a good buying opportunity. Always buy on the dips and this is still a dip.
bobby_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 21:58   #94
certifiedfunds
Tewwowist

For the gold haters and the people who are so sure they've called "the bubble":

Can you explain to us all why the gold bull market started in 2001, long before the collapse of 08?

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 23:05   #95
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glotin View Post
The past few hundred years. The late 20's and early 30's compared to where we are now and the systemic structures in place to prevent that from happening.

Based on current valuations, I'd suggest real estate and the stock market. Natural gas and associated businesses are very attractive right now.

If there is no contract, there is no counter party risk. There are plenty of other risks and costs associated with PMs though.

Clearly the past 10 years have heavily influenced your opinions. It's interesting to me that you can give so much weight to the last 10 years while totally discounting the previous 200 or so.

I'm not sure if you were around, but the 1970's were very similar to the 2000's. The charts look almost identical. From 1972-1979 the CAGR of Large Cap stocks was 5.1%. Commodities (gold) returned an impressive 22.1%. Surely people were boasting about how much they made in gold and, having been scared out of the stock market, continued to buy more. Unfortunately they would have missed the incredible bull markets of the 80's and 90's, while watching gold prices fall back to where they were before the 70's bubble.

Here is the take of some old man from Omaha:
http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2012/...holder-letter/
Gold has beaten the old man from Omaha 9 of the last 10 years. Are you smarter than him? He's anti-gold (unlike his father) because he's so in the tank for Obama. People getting into PMs would be an indication the economy isn't right.

I have yet to have it explained to me how we pay off $15 trillion ($25 trillion in 10 years) in debt other than default or continued currency debasement.
Old 05-17-2012, 23:08   #96
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
The last 10 years WERE great. I bought three gold eagles in 2002 and 2003 when it was under $320 an ounce. Sold two of them in 2008 for a hair over $1000 when gold spiked at $ 1084 and started going down, then the 2008 crash happend and gold spiked again and I so sold the last ounce of about $1700.

That is how I profited with gold. Pure luck buying low and selling high. However, I would have made money buying Apple Stocks around the same time, because 10 years ago Apple sucked and the stock were cheap and now look at them.
What if you had bought Kodak instead?

Quote:
The problem people are having is everyone is screaming "Buy Gold" and the ones who are making money with it are the ones selling it. How do you expect to turn a profit when you are buying ANYTHING high and selling low. Those who bought gold at +$1700 are finding that out the hard way right now.

When the hype dies, eventually the price has to come down to normal market levels. That is with Housing, stocks, oil, and even gold.
What you don't understand is it isn't hype, it is a worldwide rejection of fiat money. Central banks today are still buying gold like crazy. You must have great faith Obama is going to fix everything.

The recent PM drop is because the dollar is temporarily rising from people fleeing the Euro.
Old 05-17-2012, 23:16   #97
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
To the gold bugs if Romney wins dump gold. Romney likes to fire people. Expect fiscal restraint.
Even if true, the US is only a small part of world gold demand. I will vote for Romney and think he will do less damage than Obama, but I don't expect real structural change, even Reagan couldn't do that. Any real reform proposals will be met with riots in the street like Greece, by people who vote for a living.
Old 05-17-2012, 23:19   #98
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Hey, I can read SeekingAlpha too! Link

You might want to consider citing a source the next time you decide to borrow someone else's words.

And that said, let's look at the numbers. It's true that gold has outperformed BKR.A since 2000:

The Furball Forum

but what about since 1990?

The Furball Forum

As you can see, BKR.A has outperformed gold over the last 22 years, if not the last 12. I couldn't find any charts going back to 1980 and I don't have time to make one, but I suspect it's even more stark.

You keep choosing "since 2000" as your time horizon, for no reason other than that it justifies your position. Yes, gold has done better than equities over the last 12 years. No, that is not a reason to think that it will continue to do so forever.

Nobody is saying gold will do better forever. In the '80s and '90s, stocks were the place to be. Since 2000, gold is, and IMHO that won't change for the next 5+ years.

Gold fell in 1980 because Volcker put a lid on the money supply and interest rates went up to 15%+. What would those rates to to our servicing our $15 trillion debt?

Last edited by Paul7; 05-17-2012 at 23:24..
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:31   #99
voyager4520
-----

I've wanted to sell my high school class ring for scrap gold, I think I'll do it soon before the price drops any more. It's down like $100 in one week.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:20   #100
certifiedfunds
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post

I have yet to have it explained to me how we pay off $15 trillion ($25 trillion in 10 years) in debt other than default or continued currency debasement.
First, we don't have to pay it off. It is easily serviced. Safe harbor - that could change.

Secondly, paying it off is very simple and can be done in one generation with cuts and growth.

The problem is, no one is willing to cut and the cards are being stacked against the kind of robust growth needed due to taxes and spending.

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote