Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-10-2012, 14:55   #1
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Picked up my FS M&P 9mm today....now with Range Report

Picked up my FS M&P 9mm today!

Although I have larger type hands, the medium backstrap seems to work the best. The date it was made is 5/01/2012 so it looks to be from fairly recent run. I have to say, the trigger pull is pretty short as is the reset. I can actually hear a click when it resets and feel it in my finger. I doubt it's one of the new trigger systems (or is it?) being put into production but it's not like what is being described as a typical M&P trigger. It's not like the Shield I handled (and have on order) but you can tell were it resets quite easily.

I like the thumb safeties as they are pretty close to the type on my 1911s which are the main guns I shoot and carry. Flicking it off is like second nature so no worries there. The grip angle is perfect unlike the many Glocks I owned and sold and the texture is much better than the XDs I also used to own.

I have 4 mags coming in from 44mag.com that should be here tomorrow and will be taking it to the range this weekend. I'm really looking forward to putting many rounds down range including a variety of HP ammo. Range report will come soon enough so stay tuned!

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 05-14-2012 at 20:19..
Nakanokalronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:09   #2
cowboy1964

Congrats. M&Ps are Glocks with many of the issues fixed (grip angle, better slide serrations, etc).
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:18   #3
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Very nice, congrats!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:30   #4
rilkil23

Very nice. I will own a M&P series eventually. Seems like every post is about pocket this single stack that so it is good to see a good ole fashion whoopin stick. Enjoy.
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:54   #5
TSAX
USAF Vet

Congrats, I doubt its the new trigger in there but you can call S&W and ask. If its not, the APEX Sear is about $40. Enjoy

GSSF Member

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 16:08   #6
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Okay, I just talked to a S&W tech and he told me he has no idea of any changes with the M&P trigger group being made at all. I told him I've heard about the possibility of new trigger groups in the M&Ps to have a more positive reset and he once again, said that if anyone knew about it, they would since they are the techs/gunsmiths that are answering the phones.

He also told me they knew about the Shield a year before it was introduced so if anything about a new trigger group was in the works, they haven't heard about it so as of right now, no plans are in the works for any changes to the regular M&P line.

It's probably true but the reset and pull on my M&P can easily be detected, but not as much as the Shield. Either way, it feels pretty good IMHO but I'll let range time determine that for sure.

Just wanted to add that he also told me that they had 25,000 Shield ready to go when it was introduced and are now filling back orders. Magazines are also a little over $37 each which are on back order as well.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 05-10-2012 at 16:20..
Old 05-10-2012, 17:13   #7
Glock40man

Congrats!
Old 05-10-2012, 17:34   #8
mixflip

I want that exact M&P but with the APEX upgrade so I can hear and feel the trigger reset. The trigger reset is HORRIBLE in the M&P. (I owned an M&P40) With the APEX upgrade its is in my opinion a Glock killer!!! lol (blasphemy I know I know...)
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 17:41   #9
bac1023

Congrats!

bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:06   #10
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I want that exact M&P but with the APEX upgrade so I can hear and feel the trigger reset. The trigger reset is HORRIBLE in the M&P. (I owned an M&P40) With the APEX upgrade its is in my opinion a Glock killer!!! lol (blasphemy I know I know...)
That's why I'm wondering about this particular M&P. All I read about is how the reset and pull is horrible but this one is neither. The S&W tech told me no plans to change the M&P trigger so I'm not sure what to think.

I'll probably just end up getting the Apex hard sear and RAM once they come out with a thumb safety model, which they said should be soon.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 05-10-2012 at 18:42..
Old 05-10-2012, 19:09   #11
Dan Glock

Beautiful gun!! So jealous but soon I'll get my M&P 9 Pro :-)
Old 05-10-2012, 20:39   #12
DonGlock26

I have a M&P 9mm FS. IT's a great pistol. The trigger gets better with use and lube. I don't have a problem with the reset.

_
Old 05-10-2012, 20:45   #13
Bigpoppie50

I've had my Full Size M&P9 about Three and one half years. It led to me getting a full Size M&P357Sig/40S&W for EDC. It is sitting on my Computer Table loaded with 16 + 1 rounds of Federal HST 124 grain JHPs and I type this post. It fits me great along with my other M&P.
Bigpoppie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 21:54   #14
mixflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
That's why I'm wondering about this particular M&P. All I read about is how the reset and pull is horrible but this one is neither. The S&W tech told me no plans to change the M&P trigger so I'm not sure what to think.

I'll probably just end up getting the Apex hard sear and RAM once they come out with a thumb safety model, which they said should be soon.
I take that back. The reset isnt horrible in the regular sense. Its just "not audible" nor can you "feel" the reset, both of which are very important shooting fundamentals.

Im 4 days into a firearms instructor class as we speak and all the guys with M&Ps are doing great regardless. Round count is past 1000 rounds in just a few days. (we all have sun burnt raccoon eyes and tired hands.lol)

Last edited by mixflip; 05-10-2012 at 21:55..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 22:00   #15
cowboy1964

Yes the reset on the M&P is horrible in terms of feel (in terms of length it's perfect). But it really doesn't make much difference to me. I would like to try the Apex thing though soon.

I have the M&P 40 full size. I don't know any other gun where you can pick up a .357 Sig barrel for $78! (MidwayUsa)

Last edited by cowboy1964; 05-10-2012 at 22:01..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 23:11   #16
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

I'm going to shoot it stock this weekend and maybe give the Apex hard sear a try to see if it improves it even more so.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:47   #17
TxGlock9

Saw you post on the other forum. Good work.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:23   #18
glockdoc21

I always laugh at these M&P trigger posts. I have a M&P 9c and I love the gun. When I practice, I don't do some geriatric slow fire thing where I high five my range buddy when the trigger resets. When you're doing controlled pairs I never notice the reset. It's a great gun that has glock fanboys butthurt and the "mushy trigger reset" is low hanging fruit. I've had glocks and you could hear a loud "click" when it reset, but I was more focused on my rounds all hitting high then the orgasmic reset.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40   #19
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Its being discussed on all the forums, and others have claimed that S&W reps have stated that the new trigger group will be coming. Many state they have been told that they are being made in May,a nd will hit shelves in JUne/July.

I will say that from personal experience, as an example - Beretta released the compact 92 model, and calls to Beretta ended up in denials by phone reps that such an animal was being currently sold by Beretta. Even after they had been out for weeks.

I've been into guns for a long time, and on many gun forums going back to 2004 or so. I've seen lots of similar stories. I've read enough to convince me that there is a new trigger coming. And, this is the only thing that interests me enough to NOW be interested in the fullsize M&Ps. I like the trigger on my Shield.

I don't know if I'll buy one, as I really have decided to take a break from gun buying. But a new trigger in the fullsize models would tempt me.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 13:33   #20
J_Rico

Congrats.

Got the FS M&P 9mm for Christmas and it is a great gun.

Seriously thinking of adding a Shield when the hoopla dies out.

ETA. I like the trigger on the FS M&P, just fine. Not sure what all the hate is about.

Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by J_Rico; 05-11-2012 at 13:34..
J_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote