Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:52   #1
novasquid

cartridges from different manufacturers with same weight?

i have 180gr jhp's from underwood and bvac. i pulled out my kitchen scale, which can measure in grams, and weighed each round. they each weigh 17 grams consistently.

since each cartridge weighs 17 grams, is it safe to assume that the bvac will have the same power as the underwood? i'm guessing no, because there are other factors to consider, e.g. bullet type, powder quality, etc.
Old 05-11-2012, 16:17   #2
Jitterbug

It might, but I doubt it, too many weight variables in the other components. A gram = 15.4 grains, I seriously doubt a "kitchen" scale would be an adequate measure.

I've tried to weigh loaded cartridges on a reloading scale to determine if I'd goofed on my powder charge, it's an exercise in frustration, requiring one to carefully "pull" the bullet and then weigh the charge.

And even then a side by side comparison is not a valid method of determining the powder...might lend some insight, but that's about it.

Some powders such as 800x are unique in appearance, but one needs to be very careful and not assume anything about powder.

Last edited by Jitterbug; 05-11-2012 at 16:19..
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 20:06   #3
dm1906
Retired SO

A difference of one gram is HUGE. You must measure in grains. An increase of 1/2 grain of powder can mean the difference between an acceptable load and a KB. Bullet weight isn't as critical, but one gram, or 15 grains, will cause a competent loader to adjust their recipe or discard the bullets. Include into that equation the weight inconsistency with same-lot brass, and it becomes more vague. There are too many factors involved to assume the same weight cartridges are of the same construction, or performance.
dm1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 20:20   #4
countrygun

reloading+assumption="KA-BOOM"

or a squib, or "really bad stuff".

Actually, that fact that they DO weight the same almost indicates it's a pure coincidence. Even relative humidity in different loading locations would almost assure some variance. Bouble check your scale just to be on the safe side.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:22   #5
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
i have 180gr jhp's from underwood and bvac. i pulled out my kitchen scale, which can measure in grams, and weighed each round. they each weigh 17 grams consistently.

since each cartridge weighs 17 grams, is it safe to assume that the bvac will have the same power as the underwood? i'm guessing no, because there are other factors to consider, e.g. bullet type, powder quality, etc.
Short answer, no.

It really isn't a powder "quality" kind of thing. Two different powders of equal "quality" will have completely different burn characteristics, personalities really.

As far as telling anything from a group of loaded handgun rounds by weighing them, I can't even find a round I forgot to put powder in by weighing each of them. The other component's variables are too large.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote