Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2012, 20:36   #1
Tiger

Need your help with IDing and pricing on these two 1911s

A friend of mine is selling two 1911s and wanted to get an idea on pricing for these. Unfortunately, I know nothing about 1911s. Both are used.

So I am coming to the experts

This one says Springfield Armory on one side and the other side 1911 A1
1911 Forums

This one says S&W1911SC
1911 Forums

Appreciate your feedback.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 21:27   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The top one looks like a stainless steel Springfield Mil-Spec.

Looks pretty good. I'd probably offer $400 for it.

I'm not all up on SW M1911. I have the SW Gunsite model and I bought it dirt cheap from a guy that needed cash, so I don't know what to pay for this pistol in your photo.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:33   #3
skipsan

Agree on the Springfield being a Mil-Spec. Given that new SS Mil-Specs retail at $650, I'd go a little higher on the value--maybe $500 to $550 if the other side is just as clean and there's no big ol' idiot scratch on the frame. $400 would be a steal.

Know nuthin' about Smiths.
skipsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:49   #4
countrygun

I never warmed to the Smiths with the external extractor and don't know anything about their new or used value.

I would have to admit a partiality to the Springfields. I'd say around $500 would be fair to both parties.

Since you said you don't know much about the 1911, the "idiot mark" is a scratch on the frame below the slide stop, on the left side where the slide stop (and barrel pin) gets drug across the frame when the gun is disassenbled by the inexperienced. I will venture to say that a majority of the 1911s in existence bear this mark. On a stainless pistol it would be far from a deal breaker.

Last edited by countrygun; 05-12-2012 at 08:50..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:57   #5
Baba Louie

Both made by good companies with excellant customer service.

The Springfield is a base model made in Brazil (are the NM and N serials finished in USA?), old school design as JMB laid things out tho in stainless. Depending on how used, value $650 up based on new pricing and availibility. CA and MA prices would be higher than say AZ or PA prices, so factor that in as well.

The S&W will have some newer twists, like the scandium (lightweight) frame, exterior extractor, front cocking serrations and full length guide rod, night sights(?) all of which work, but are not based on JMBs original design. Big billboard signage on off side or newer small text? To some the older larger text is off putting and they will offer less. YMMV. Value will be a bit north of the springfield I'd think but not by much. Maybe $700 up.

Then again, your friend knows pretty much what he paid for them originally, doesn't he? How good a friend is he? If he trades them in at your LGS, he gets less value than if he sells them to you for what he paid (provided he didn't overpay when he purchased them).

Are you buying or is he just selling them to whomsoever? Because that's two different things. Three if he goes to LGS to move them because they're in business to make money. If he sells FTF he stands to make more money at some risk involved.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17   #6
ca survivor

that is a nice Smith, I have one, I'm the type that as long as it works, and it does, I don't care were the extractor is, new ones are in the $800.00 $900.00 price range. I'm running GI style recoil spring guide on mine though.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 18:06   #7
jakebrake
cracker

the smith is a slightly older one. they moved production to houlton maine (i want to say in 2010). that's a mass. gun.

if the photos are accurate, the finish on the slide looks kinda iffy.

and i don't see a single used one on gunbroker, so pricing is gonna be a real good question.

countrygun is probably going to be really close. a lot of people don't like the external extractor. the springer is gonna get sold immediately.

Last edited by jakebrake; 05-22-2012 at 18:10..
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 22:48   #8
GTS197

The Nighthawk grips threw me......

G17 (RTF2), G21 (Gen4), G32.

AR15/M16/M4 Armorer.
GTS197 is offline   Reply With Quote