Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2012, 14:18   #1
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

This will make you rethink about how effective the 22lr can be!

Old 05-13-2012, 14:19   #2
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Old 05-13-2012, 14:27   #3
TSAX
USAF Vet

Did he say 12 lbs squirrel

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCFn55Zxkc&feature=related

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 14:38   #4
Rustin

I never doubted it!

That reminds me, I need a Ruger 10/22!
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 14:43   #5
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Good for small game but if your talking about SD, let's see some denim tests out of a rifle and the more commonly carried pistol. The .22lr can kill but I wouldn't want to be stuck with only that caliber as a SD option.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 05-13-2012 at 14:44..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 15:08   #6
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
Good for small game but if your talking about SD, let's see some denim tests out of a rifle and the more commonly carried pistol. The .22lr can kill but I wouldn't want to be stuck with only that caliber as a SD option.
Watch the 2nd video, At 300 yards it penetrates completely through 8 layers of denim and 4-5 inches of a roast.
Old 05-13-2012, 15:09   #7
Aceman

To respond to the basic post: Yes, very impressive in general. For serious .22lr business and survival I use CCI Mini-mags and Stingers. I keep about 1000 of them on hand. My S&W M&P 15-22 really likes them.

Slightly deeper response: No, it doesn't make me rethink anything. I can show you how effective a toothpick CAN be. The bottom line is that it is not a sufficiently RELIABLE SD round. I defer to my classic "pig" experiment: Shoot 100 randomly walking/charging 150lb pigs with a Ruger Mk. III at say 25 feet. Timed shots, 2-3 max, no slow fire. Count how many stop advancing, and how many drop. There is your stopping/completely effective % ratings.

Last edited by Aceman; 05-13-2012 at 15:15..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 15:09   #8
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

That video along with this one. Though I personally carry nothing smaller than .38 sp.

GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 15:16   #9
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
To respond to the basic post: Yes, very impressive in general. For serious .22lr business and survival I use CCI Mini-mags and Stingers.

Slightly deeper response: No, it doesn't make me rethink anything. I can show you how effective a toothpick CAN be. The bottom line is that it is not a sufficiently RELIABLE SD round. I defer to my classic "pig" experiment: Shoot 100 randomly walking/charging 150lb pigs with a Ruger Mk. III at say 25 feet. Timed shots, no slow fire. Count how many stop advancing, and how many drop. There is your stopping/completely effective % ratings.
150lb pigs compared to a human, Hmm pigs are a lot tougher to kill not to mention penetration is a lot tougher. I've shot 6 wild boars with my 70lb mathews monster with 450 grain arrows and Magnus buzzcut broadheads and 5 of them i didn't even get a pass thru! My broadheads will penetrate much deeper and create much more blood loss than a SD round! That test is kinda pointless! And your going away from my topic, I never said it was a reliable SD round, I posted the videos to opens peoples eyes to what a 22lr is capable of!

Last edited by Armchair Commando; 05-13-2012 at 15:20..
Armchair Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 16:02   #10
AA#5

"Effective" on what?

TheStreetKing, it might make YOU rethink how effective the 22lr can be. That's because you are confusing "Killing Power" with "Stopping Power."
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 16:10   #11
countrygun

Botulism can be deadly too, but it and the .22 lack the stopping power I want in a self defense tool.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 16:51   #12
dakrat

great! now see the same ammo fired from a pocket .22 pistol..... unless you can conceal a .22LR rifle.
Old 05-13-2012, 17:51   #13
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
great! now see the same ammo fired from a pocket .22 pistol..... unless you can conceal a .22LR rifle.
Great! Another person who lacks reading comprehension. Go back to school or reread the original post!
Old 05-13-2012, 17:56   #14
Armchair Commando
Long Range Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
"Effective" on what?

TheStreetKing, it might make YOU rethink how effective the 22lr can be. That's because you are confusing "Killing Power" with "Stopping Power."
It does make me rethink how effective a 22lr can be at killing anything, For it to penetrate 8 layers of denim and 4-5 inches of flesh at 300 yards is pretty good!
Old 05-13-2012, 18:05   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
"Effective" on what?

Would you enlighten us peasants with this "Stopping Power"?

Where can we find them in scientific journals?
Old 05-13-2012, 18:25   #16
DonD

I'll chime in with a little different twist. I recently got a Remington 597 and the range I use can't allow offhand shooting at other than the pistol berms due to downrange limitations. The 100 yd range has bench rests with railroad ties making a tunnel to keep shots from going outside the berms.

So, sighted in at 25 yds, it was amazing how much drop there is at 100. Shooting at 300 let alone 400 yds would be a real rainbow event.

I was disgusted with CCI Velocitors, claimed velocity is something like 1430 fps, they clocked 1260 across an Oehler Model 35 chronograph, just 30 fps faster than Remington bulk "WalMart" ammo and costs nearly 3X as much.

The Remington, however, has been a fantastic gun, the best $200 I've ever spent on a gun. Nearly 1000 rds through it, not a single bobble or choke, very accurate, decent trigger, doesn't get anywhere near as dirty from shooting as the Ruger 10/22 it replaced. Amazingly decent little factory mounted 3-9X scope on it.

For defensive purposes, a Ruger Mini 30 is my house gun and a Ruger SP101 my CCW gun.
Don

Last edited by DonD; 05-13-2012 at 18:26..
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 18:27   #17
MoCop

Not to say too much, but I have personally seen what a 22lr can do to a person (two, actually on a drive by). It wasn't pretty by any means and the dudes were out of the fight. Those little rounds can put a hurtin on someone.

Last edited by MoCop; 05-13-2012 at 18:35..
MoCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 18:53   #18
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Does any LE agency issue 22lr pistols or rifles to officers other than for putting down a wounded animal? It's a neat cheap round that can work if it hits the right place but come on now. The guy in the video even makes fun of the gel test thinking everyone will go out and buy it as something fantastic for SD and if you didn't get that the first time, watch video #1 again.

The 22lr can do things but there are many many calibers that can do it better when it comes to defense. This dosn't take away from the fact that the 22lr can kill or wound, it's just that there are better choices.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 05-13-2012 at 18:54..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 19:21   #19
Sporaticus
Aw sheet main

There was a thread on one of the sniper forums years ago where a member was testing the penetration of a .22 LR at distance. The results were very surprising.

Quote:
I would take a book learner over the assumption making that runs rampid on this forum.

Sporaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 19:54   #20
itstime

I live fairly close to the school in Ohio that had the shooting with the loss of children's lives. .22 revolver.

Sad. Very sad indeed. But in real life the round worked.

I sat here wondering if I should write this but three high school kids died from this inferior round.

Talk all you want about it people. This wasn't a gel test.
itstime is online now   Reply With Quote