Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2012, 23:23   #1
BamaAL24

Small revolver shopping

I'm beginning my research on my next handgun purchase and have decided I want a small wheel gun.

For some reason I've found myself drawn to Smith & Wesson. Particularly the 642 What do I need to know before taking the plunge? Is it really that much more preferable to have one without a lock? And I'm set on stainless with a wood grip if that will change any opinions or advice.

Thanks for your time.
BamaAL24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 23:28   #2
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Smith J frames are excellent little gun. I've shot and own a few. I only like and will buy Smiths that don't have the lock. One, because they look so much better without the lock. And two, it's an ideological thing. Guns like the 642 with the grips they come with can be a bit unpleasant to shoot, especially if you have little experience with them. The bare metal on the back strap is the culprit.

You may also wanna look at the Ruger K/LCR in .38 or .357. I prefer the LCR over the 642 now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Sheepdog Scout; 05-14-2012 at 23:28..
Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 23:51   #3
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

I've owned both, the 642 and LCR. IMO the smith seemed like a more quality revolver but the trigger was better on the LCR IMO. In the end I've concluded I'm not much of a revolver guy. If I was forced to own one of the two it would be the LCR.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 00:09   #4
rilkil23

I tried to master a model 637 but the DA trigger kicked my butt. I gave up because the time and money I would have spent was too much. I had fun with it but never felt I could use it as my carry gun due to the difficulties I had with accuracy. My semis proved to be a better option for me.
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:24   #5
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilkil23 View Post
I tried to master a model 637 but the DA trigger kicked my butt. I gave up because the time and money I would have spent was too much. I had fun with it but never felt I could use it as my carry gun due to the difficulties I had with accuracy. My semis proved to be a better option for me.

Same here and in my above post I've said I've owned two revolvers. I spent my fair share of time with them but could never shoot them worth a damn like I can with my Glock.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39   #6
collim1
Shower Time!

I have had a 442 since 2004. It has served as a BUG and discreet carry pocket gun. Occasionally in the summer heat I carry it as a primary OWB.

It has been a great gun. Everyone needs a jframe IMO. It comes in handy when wearing dress clothes and need absolute concealment.

I carry the Gold Dot SB 135g+P, but the old stanby 158g+P LSWCHP has a great reputation also.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:46   #7
Cwlongshot

I agree the S&W "J" frames are the way to go here.

I like the looks of the hammerless models but your stuck with DAO... Take a look at the 38/638 its funky looking yes, BUT allows shrouded hammer for pocket carry yet still allows for a SA aimed shot.

I have had a carried one on and off for more than 20 years, its a good light reliable revolver. My wife also likes to carry this one as its light and dosen't "pound" her hand even with +P 147g loadings.

CW
Old 05-15-2012, 04:03   #8
M2 Carbine

I'm a S&W J Frame fan. Have a number of them.
Shoot them out to 52 yards.

Although I have a couple I do not like DAO revolvers.

The J Frames I consider defense guns are equipped with Crimson Trace laser grips.

Won't buy one with that ugly lock.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 05-15-2012 at 04:04..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:28   #9
fowler

The Rugers are not very well made and only a step above a Taurus. The SW is the only player that that is well made and reliable. 642 or 442 no lock.
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:33   #10
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
I've only got one S&W with a lock, and it's never given me any problem. Ugly? well, that's all in how you look at it I suppose. Personally I never pay any more attention to it than I do any other pin or screw on the gun. It's just something that's there. Big deal. I do admit that it's more noticable on a SS gun.

Having said that, I wouldn't let the lock stop me from buying one if I found something I like. I wouldn't pay a lot more for one without.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; 05-15-2012 at 04:34..
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
I've only got one S&W with a lock, and it's never given me any problem. Ugly? well, that's all in how you look at it I suppose. Personally I never pay any more attention to it than I do any other pin or screw on the gun. It's just something that's there. Big deal. I do admit that it's more noticable on a SS gun.

Having said that, I wouldn't let the lock stop me from buying one if I found something I like. I wouldn't pay a lot more for one without.
My lock hasn't killed my yet after almost 9yrs. I dont agree with it, but it hasn't hurt anything.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:31   #12
deputy tom

I've been shooting S&W J-frames for forty years. Any other trigger feels foreign to me. The 642 is my go to gun. No locks are needed and they insult my intelligence. Get the gun you like the best.tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:37   #13
Lowjiber

Below is the J-Frame .38spl (+p) that I carried for twenty years.

Note the Pachmayr grips...no problems.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Last edited by Lowjiber; 01-14-2013 at 05:59..
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38   #14
ithaca_deerslayer

I have a 642 no lock and a 637 lock. They are both great.

Newbies might want to start with 148gr wadcutters. They are much softer shooting than any other factory loads
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:41   #15
Bruce M

My belief is that most everyone needs a J frame. My Model 36 dates back to about 1983 and still works fine. My most recent one is a M&P 360 which is very light and uncomfortable to me with .357 rounds but ok with .38+p. For a while now some of the J frames have been selling at several places around here for ~350 which I think is good deal compared to other handguns.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44   #16
JBL13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
The Rugers are not very well made and only a step above a Taurus. The SW is the only player that that is well made and reliable. 642 or 442 no lock.
A lot of folks "in the know" would say, model for model, that a Ruger revolver is typically more ruggedly built than a S&W. Key words: Model for model.
JBL13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:54   #17
ricklee4570

The LCR has been thoroughly tested. One torture test had the little revolver at over 5,000 rounds of .38 +P with no appreciable wear. I have one with close to 2500 rounds (mostly standard pressure loads) and I feel it is a very well made revolver. I would put it up against and similar sized S&W anyday.

You cant go wrong with either one really.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:04   #18
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Find yourself a Colt snubbie (if you can), and then you will wonder what's all the ruckus about between SW and Taurus.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38   #19
pmwglock19

My son just bought a ruger 38 spcl snubbie. Tried the S&W and ruger, chose the ruger for the trigger and feel.
pmwglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55   #20
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
Somebody really loves his SW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Sheepdog Scout; 05-15-2012 at 11:06..
Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote