SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:33   #1
Alliance50

Your input please

OK
Thru many yrs of handling firearms, Being trained and being the trainer I have come to form some opinions on three kinds of handguns.
To start the 1911 from any manufacture, the Sig sauer particularly to the P series and the glock.

I have come to the conclusion for me of course is those three type of hand guns to be the most reliable, the easiest to get just about any part and do the work myself, And for me all three carry and shoot very well. OH I forgot I also think when it comes to DETAIL stripping those three are also the easiest.
Now the XD's and XDM's are coming close but it seems that getting parts for those are still limited.

So give your thoughts and maybe talk about the weapons you feel that way about.

It seems that to many guns either need to be sent in to be repaired even for simple repairs or a Gunsmith is required.
Time consuming and expensive as far as I am concerned.

SO what do you all think?

Last edited by Alliance50; 05-15-2012 at 07:35..
Alliance50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58   #2
Ronaldo
Ancient Member

deleted

'Blood and Chocolate - in the dark, you can't tell the difference'

Last edited by Ronaldo; 05-15-2012 at 07:59..
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00   #3
TSAX
USAF Vet

The same of what your saying can be said for holsters, sights and other accessories.

Glocks and 1911's will probably always have the most parts available/accessories because of popularity and its stronghold on the market. The Sig P series is also popular but its not as easy to do it yourself gunsmithing as Glocks and 1911's are. The same can be said for XD/XDM's. Im on the XD site and these guns are gaining in popularity but these guns arent that easy to do it yourself gunsmith and do a full take down/disassemble like the Glock and 1911 platforms.

In a few more years I would guess there will be more parts/accessories available. When XD's first came out they took a little time to gain traction and slowly people/companies started making things for them. Just looking at the GT vs XD sites, the GT and 1911 sites has much more posts, users, threads, etc.

Another example would be the availability of triggers. XD/XDM has 3 main ones and they cost about $100 to $200, Springfield Custom Shop, Powder River Precision and Springer. The 1911 trigger availability is endless like the Glocks. Just look at the Vanek, Fulcrum, Skimmer on the higher end. Ghost and the simple "-" connector or heck a do it yourself polish job on the internals for low cost. And several more options in between.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member

Last edited by TSAX; 05-15-2012 at 09:06..
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14   #4
ronin.45

The 1911 and Glock compare favorably where parts and accessories are concerned. I'm always amazed when people compare them about detail stripping. The 1911 has way more parts and on a modern gun they are much tighter fitted. I can understand how stripping a 1911 can be considered easy once you've mastered it, but in no way is it as easy as a Glock.

The Sig doesn't have near the aftermarket support for parts and accessories and probably falls in the middle on detail stripping.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:15   #5
Steve in Az
Glock 26

I've tried 2 Sig's in the past; a P229 and P239, and neither work well for my high-thumbs grip. Both were fantastic/accurate guns, they just didn't work for me ergonomically. Same for a bunch of others (M&P, Steyr, the list goes on) all great guns, they just didn't have the whole package I was looking for. I keep coming back to Glock's (since 1987) for 3 reasons:

1. Sans catestrophic failure, I can fix it myself---inexpensively
2. Simple, durable, reliable, and accurate
3. They fit my style of grip

I simply haven't found a gun that posesses all of these traits like the Glock, for it's niche purpose. Of course I'm a HUGE fan of the 1911, and parts for that are everywhere, it just doesn't fit my CCW role.

Last edited by Steve in Az; 05-15-2012 at 09:26..
Steve in Az is offline   Reply With Quote