Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:48   #1
Grafuki

Send a message via AIM to Grafuki Send a message via MSN to Grafuki
Bought a gun at Acadamy for mothers day....

Well the title say it all. Although I typically wouldn't go to Academy to purchase a gun I did spur of the moment. I was talking to my father last Wed. and asked what he was doing for mothers day. I got the typical guy answer, "**** thats this weekend huh?!" I suggested he get her a new carry piece cause she's always thought her G26 was to bulky. She recently saw her brothers single stack .380 and thats what she wanted.

Anyway, since they are currently in a small WY town with a whooping 306 people the duty fell upon me to find her new toy. My wife and I are currently in Wichita Falls, TX for the next 3 months TDY so Academy was my best bet. Not really having any time to research the matter I narrowed it down to a SIG P232, the S&W BG, and a Ruger (I cant remember the model). Like I said not knowing much about these single stack .380s I was looking simply on how they felt in the hand and getting a decent brand name. The brand name requirement took the Taurus and Desert Diamond right off the list. The SIG felt great in the hand so I asked if was a double/single by any chance and the "expert salesman...." ensured me it was. I believed the man and went ahead and bought the gun. As soon as I as in the parking lot and actually got to play/dry fire the pistol I realized it was single action only. I went right back into Academy and requested an exchange. The woman at the counter told me theres a strict no return policy on ammo and guns.

I thought this was going to really blow. The gun will primarily be pocket carried or in the depths of her purse so I didn't like the idea of it being cocked and locked all the time. I spoke to the manager and told him what happened. He called corporate and got it approved to let me exchange the gun. I ended up going with the S&W BG. I fought the urge to go shoot her new gun before she had a chance to play with it. Hopefully all goes well.

Anyway... Academy pulled through and made things right. They were very helpful and will defiantly get some more ammo/shooting supplies business from me!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13   #2
ithaca_deerslayer

Now make your dad buy her a holster purse. They have a separate compartment, usually with an inside little velcro holster, to keep the gun exactly where the woman can reach it.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 15:32   #3
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

Did sig come out with a single action only 232?

I have not looked at them in years but the ones that I am familiar with are a traditional sa/da pistol.
Old 05-15-2012, 15:49   #4
DonD

Glad the store took care of you. They have to have rules but they also have to take care of valid exceptions and your's was definitely one in my opinion. Counter person loused up the description of the function of the gun. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16   #5
Grafuki

Send a message via AIM to Grafuki Send a message via MSN to Grafuki
I was very pleased with the management. I didn't surprise me getting wrong info from a sales clerk though. In fact, during this whole ordeal I heard one girl saleswoman trash talking most of the people that worked in the gun section for having no clue about... well, anything! I should have done my research but with the word of the guy behind the counter and the no dry fire rule I only assumed.

As for the P232... my mistake. It was a P238. It is in fact SA. Unless you rack the slide or manually cock the hammer the trigger wont do a thing. I still think the Sig felt better and it did have a great trigger but I don't want my mom to carry cocked and locked. As it is shes gonna have to remember that some guns have manual safeties!