Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:34   #1
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Rifle shopping

OK, now that I have a few pistols in my safe, I think it's time to get a rifle. Never owned one. Shot .22 target rifles many years ago. Would like to use in target shooting but also want it to be a useful weapon for possible HD or maybe hunting someday. I know it's probably tough to get one rifle that will do all that, but what would you start with for your first rifle?

I'd like to stay under $500. Looked at High Point and their prices are really cheap - which also makes me a little worried about their quality. Would like to keep my ammo cost down also. I know .22 rimfire is dirt cheap; more for .223 or .308, which are of course a lot more deadly.
“At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.”
- Abraham Lincoln
jeanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:00   #2
countrygun

whether or not you shoose the highpoint, don't write them off out of hand, this is the third highpoint at my place. The wife's and my 9mms have gone over 1,000 rds without trouble and are just as accurate. I pulled the one shot in this pic due to a bug flying down my collar

General Firearms Forum
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05   #3
10mmbob

IMO a Savage rifle in .223 and an inexpensive 3-9 power scope would fill the bill nicely. You could shoot all day with cheap military ammo. Savage rifles are legendary for their accuracy, as I would attest to. My Model 10 Predator will shoot 3/4" groups with surplus ammo, and will shoot half that with good ammo. Cabela's or Gander Mtn. often have rifle-scope combos on sale for under $500. Good luck!
10mmbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08   #4
eracer
Where's my EBT?

CZ452
Under $400 w/o scope.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13   #5
Magus
Deo Vindice

Just got one of these in .308

Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter. Has everything you could possibly want or need for a base bolt action rifle.

It was designed to hunt hogs, but it given the set-up, it can be used for so much more than that. Very versatile. Can also get it in .223

Has a very nice and very usable set of iron sights on it, so you don't have to run out and grab a scope right away.

You can find them for about $425 to $450, big seller right now though.

Also take a look at Savage's Axis line. Pretty stripped down affordable but well made rifles.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HOGHUNTER/
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:42   #6
Bob Hafler

I believe with what your saying this very well could be the rifle your looking for. It's one of those rifles you keep forever.
http://www.marlinfirearmssource.com/...Lever_Rif.aspx

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 05-15-2012 at 12:45..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:47   #7
pennlineman

How about a lever action in .38spl/.357 magnum. Affordable ammo for the range, enough power for hunting and defense.

Marlin 1894c, A litte more than $500 but not by much. You may have to shop for a used one to keep your budget. Rossi makes a 92r that falls within your budet.
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 13:01   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Recently sent funds off for a Browning ABilt II Medallion in .308
While this one is new and a bit beyond your budget, hve you looked at local dealers and pawn shops? Many have great deals on rifles.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 13:20   #9
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
I believe with what your saying this very well could be the rifle your looking for. It's one of those rifles you keep forever.
http://www.marlinfirearmssource.com/...Lever_Rif.aspx
Thanks Bob for the suggestion. Looks like a nice rifle. Marlin seems to have a pretty good name. However, just did a quick check on 30-30 ammo at LuckyGunner and it's over $1.50 per round! Will check others for some cheap ammo for target practice.
“At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.”
- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-15-2012, 13:55   #10
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
Thanks Bob for the suggestion. Looks like a nice rifle. Marlin seems to have a pretty good name. However, just did a quick check on 30-30 ammo at LuckyGunner and it's over $1.50 per round! Will check others for some cheap ammo for target practice.
I think I was picking the Remington Core Lokt 150 gr. up at Walmart for what came down to about 70 cents a piece.
You might also be able to pick up a nice used 336 Marlin at your local gun shop. Mine is a 1981 that I traded a pistol for, and I have no regrets ever making that trade. IMO they are a fine multi purpose rifle.

Just an example http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...oft-point-ammo

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 05-15-2012 at 13:59..
Old 05-15-2012, 14:12   #11
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mmbob View Post
IMO a Savage rifle in .223 and an inexpensive 3-9 power scope would fill the bill nicely. You could shoot all day with cheap military ammo. Savage rifles are legendary for their accuracy, as I would attest to. My Model 10 Predator will shoot 3/4" groups with surplus ammo, and will shoot half that with good ammo. Cabela's or Gander Mtn. often have rifle-scope combos on sale for under $500. Good luck!
Good advice. Except that the group sizes seem a bit optimistic. They might well be true as stated here, but the OP shouldn't get his hopes up that much
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 14:16   #12
ZombieJoe

I love my Hi Point! The one down size is the magazines, they're a bit awkward. But My 995 has performed 100% and is pretty damn accurate. I would recommend it to anyone.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 05-15-2012, 14:28   #13
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
Would like to use in target shooting but also want it to be a useful weapon for possible HD or maybe hunting someday. I know it's probably tough to get one rifle that will do all that, but what would you start with for your first rifle?
No, it's not that difficult You know. Look for the older pre-Remington (or even better pre-safety) Marlin 336 in 30-30.
Excellent HD round and proven deer cartridge with little recoil and decent price. You can buy 30-30 everywhere.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 14:36   #14
countrygun

While i am a fan of the Highpoint, the Marlin336, and the Savage 110 and have them all, I HAVE to say thay the starting point in rifles should be a bolt action .22. The good part is, carefully selected on the used market a good .22 bolt is a real value. I know at my LGS I could go in with $500 and walk out with a good used .22 and a good used centerfire rifle. If I couldn't, there are other gun shops.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 19:15   #15
Berto
woo woo

I agree a 30-30 lever gun would work nicely.
Old 05-15-2012, 21:03   #16
Cole125
Silver Membership

Get yourself a used or new Ruger Mini 14. Gives you the firepower of a AR15, conventional rifle looks, and just a good all around rifle. GREAT basic rifle for home defense/self defense. .223 stopping power.
General Firearms Forum
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26   #17
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Thanks all for your replies - great advice! I need to check out some local gun stores now.

I'm a little concerned about availability; when I look online, most of the models mentioned here are out of stock. I guess it's true what they say about gun sales soaring. Maybe I can get a good one used.
- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-16-2012, 05:46   #18
Bob Hafler

I also own a Mini 14 and it is a great rifle IMO. However the OP seemed like he just wanted a rifle for multiple use and not necessarly a rifle with a large round count or of a tactical nature. While the 223/556 round is a good round I think the 30 caliber round in a 30/30 Marlin is better for all around use. A 30 caliber round in a great, reliable, and simplistic rifle with a proven track record is hard to beat. JMHO.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:47   #19
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

A Marlin would be a great choice as well.......tons of them can be found on the used market. Look for a "JM" proof stamp on the barrel near the receiver.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58   #20
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
A Marlin would be a great choice as well.......tons of them can be found on the used market. Look for a "JM" proof stamp on the barrel near the receiver.
Just curious... what does "JM" stand for?
- Abraham Lincoln