Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:42   #1

What religious reality is real?

Do the beliefs of others apply to others who don't share the same belief? If the beliefs of the believers apply to the non-believers, how do they know?
The strange thing is that most of the consequences for non-believers is that it happens after death. How do the believers know that, in fact, happens?

Let me give some examples.

If I have a religious belief and believe that it applies to others, but others reject it, would my belief apply to them?

If one doesn't believe/do ____X____, then ____Y____ will happen.

If I don't believe in a certain deity I will be judged then condemned to an unpleasant fate. How would anyone know?

Some have the belief of purgatory - others reject it the premise. Does the what the believers believe apply to the non believers? How do/would they know?

Some have the belief of hell. Others reject the premise. Does the belief of hell apply to the non believers? How do/would they really know?

Some religions believe in judgement day, others do not. Does judgement day apply to the non-believers? How do/would the believers really know?

I have a religious friend who believes that Kachina* dolls, common in the SW at tourist traps, contain spirits and says they are evil - possessing them endangers my spiritual well being. I see them as nothing more than carved painted wood. Does his beliefs apply to me?

These are just examples.

Just curious.

*Brief history for those who aren't familiar with Kachina dolls.
http://www.sakhomenewa.com/History/brief.html

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 05-15-2012 at 13:03..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:48   #2
eracer
Where's my EBT?

To paraphrase a quotation:

"There are literally hundreds of different Christian churches, each with differing views of the faith. According to at least one of those faiths you're going to hell."
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52   #3
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope

There are thousands of belief systems out there. I find it hard to fathom how they could all apply.

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:57   #4
void *
Dereference Me!

There's a guy who I used to work with who espoused the idea that whatever people actually believed was true for them.

I asked him what would happen if someone believed they could fly and jumped off a building. His response was that they would actually fly as long as they actually believed.

I then asked him what would happen if someone who truly believed they could fly jumped off a building, whilst being observed by someone who actually believed nobody could fly. His response was sort of a split universe thing where the person who believed he could fly would fly and the person who didn't believe people could fly would see the "flying person" fall to his death. This answer wasn't really satisfactory to me.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 13:17   #5

It's interesting that the religious people on this forum, tell atheists/agnostics that if they don't have the same religious beliefs god will judge and condemn them. How do the believers know that their beliefs will apply to all others who don't share them? It doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-15-2012, 13:25   #6
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
It's interesting that the religious people on this forum, tell atheists/agnostics that if they don't have the same religious beliefs god will judge and condemn them. How do the believers know that their beliefs will apply to all others who don't share them? It doesn't make sense to me.
And if their belief apply to us, than it stands to reason that other beliefs apply to them.

Kind of a crapshoot if you ask me.....

Whats that quote? "We're all Atheists, I just believe in one less god than you do".......

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 13:44   #7
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
There's a guy who I used to work with who espoused the idea that whatever people actually believed was true for them.

I asked him what would happen if someone believed they could fly and jumped off a building. His response was that they would actually fly as long as they actually believed.

I then asked him what would happen if someone who truly believed they could fly jumped off a building, whilst being observed by someone who actually believed nobody could fly. His response was sort of a split universe thing where the person who believed he could fly would fly and the person who didn't believe people could fly would see the "flying person" fall to his death. This answer wasn't really satisfactory to me.
'Quantum Physics and the Multiverse.'

As told by Jonathon Livingston Seagull.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 13:50   #8
Alizard

Quote:
Do the beliefs of others apply to others who don't share the same belief? If the beliefs of the believers apply to the non-believers, how do they know?
The strange thing is that most of the consequences for non-believers is that it happens after death. How do the believers know that, in fact, happens?

Let me give some examples.

If I have a religious belief and believe that it applies to others, but others reject it, would my belief apply to them?

If one doesn't believe/do ____X____, then ____Y____ will happen.

If I don't believe in a certain deity I will be judged then condemned to an unpleasant fate. How would anyone know?

Some have the belief of purgatory - others reject it the premise. Does the what the believers believe apply to the non believers? How do/would they know?

Some have the belief of hell. Others reject the premise. Does the belief of hell apply to the non believers? How do/would they really know?

Some religions believe in judgement day, others do not. Does judgement day apply to the non-believers? How do/would the believers really know?

I have a religious friend who believes that Kachina* dolls, common in the SW at tourist traps, contain spirits and says they are evil - possessing them endangers my spiritual well being. I see them as nothing more than carved painted wood. Does his beliefs apply to me?

These are just examples.

Just curious.

*Brief history for those who aren't familiar with Kachina dolls.
http://www.sakhomenewa.com/History/brief.html
The question ignores the obvious: there is only one reality and it applies to all. True Christianity believes that when Christ returns, there will be a thousand year period where He and his followers preach to those who never had the chance to hear it or even to those who rejected it. They get a second chance after death. If they still reject God, they will be blotted out on the day of final judgement.

God is more than fair.

Last edited by Alizard; 05-15-2012 at 13:50..
Alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 15:59   #9
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizard View Post
The question ignores the obvious: there is only one reality and it applies to all. True Christianity believes that when Christ returns, there will be a thousand year period where He and his followers preach to those who never had the chance to hear it or even to those who rejected it. They get a second chance after death. If they still reject God, they will be blotted out on the day of final judgement.

God is more than fair.
So what you're saying is that being an atheist doesn't matter because when I die Christ will reveal himself to me and I'll finally have that pesky evidence I'm always expecting before I make a decision?

Well I'm cool with that. Seems like a pretty logical and fair way to operate but it sure does blow away that Pascals wager thing you guys are always trying to scare us with.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 16:49   #10

Quote:

God is more than fair.
You may believe that, and that's cool. But how does that belief apply to others who don't share that belief such as hindus, and buddhists, for example.

Is what you're saying that "true" Christians are right and every other non Christian or not the right kind of Christian is wrong? If so, how do you know this for a fact?

Last edited by 427; 05-15-2012 at 16:51..
Old 05-15-2012, 16:53   #11
Alizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
So what you're saying is that being an atheist doesn't matter because when I die Christ will reveal himself to me and I'll finally have that pesky evidence I'm always expecting before I make a decision?

Well I'm cool with that. Seems like a pretty logical and fair way to operate but it sure does blow away that Pascals wager thing you guys are always trying to scare us with.
I am saying that my beliefs are that all people will (after death) get another chance to believe in God. Many will, but many will choose to follow satan (he's a good liar)
Old 05-15-2012, 16:54   #12
Alizard

Quote:
You may believe that, and that's cool. But how does that belief apply to others who don't share that belief such as hindus, and buddhists, for example.

Is what you're saying that "true" Christians are right and every other non Christian or not the right kind of Christian is wrong? If so, how do you know this for a fact?
No, what I am saying is that there is only one reality: believing differently doesn't change it. I have beliefs, others have theirs. We will all find out in the end which ones are reality.

Beliefs can not be proven "as facts" since you have to die to know for sure.

Last edited by Alizard; 05-15-2012 at 16:54..
Old 05-15-2012, 16:56   #13
Alizard

Quote:

Is what you're saying that "true" Christians are right
I only use the phrase "true Christians" to designate people who follow Christ's actual teachings, as opposed to the many legions of churches and preachers who claim to be Christians but are selling false doctrines of men.
Old 05-15-2012, 17:06   #14

Quote:
I am saying that my beliefs are that all people will (after death) get another chance to believe in God. Many will, but many will choose to follow satan (he's a good liar)
What if a person rejects the premise of both satan and god? What's their fate?

Quote:
No, what I am saying is that there is only one reality: believing differently doesn't change it. I have beliefs, others have theirs. We will all find out in the end which ones are reality.

Beliefs can not be proven "as facts" since you have to die to know for sure.
If I'm not christian, how does that "one reality" you believe apply to me? Wouldn't my religious beliefs only apply to me?

Last edited by 427; 05-15-2012 at 17:11..
Old 05-15-2012, 17:09   #15

Quote:
I only use the phrase "true Christians" to designate people who follow Christ's actual teachings, as opposed to the many legions of churches and preachers who claim to be Christians but are selling false doctrines of men.
What are false doctrines to you are beliefs for others and what are beliefs for you are false doctrines for others. See how that works? Who is more righter?

Old 05-15-2012, 17:16   #16
Alizard

Quote:
What if a person rejects the premise of both satan and god? What's their fate?
To meet both.

Quote:

If I'm not christian, how does that "one reality" you believe apply to me? Wouldn't my religious beliefs only apply to me?
Reality applies to everyone. It is what it is. We will all find out.

Claiming that you do not believe in something will not change reality.

Last edited by Alizard; 05-15-2012 at 17:17..
Old 05-15-2012, 17:18   #17
Alizard

Quote:
What are false doctrines to you are beliefs for others and what are beliefs for you are false doctrines for others. See how that works? Who is more righter?
Whatever. Believe what you want.
Old 05-15-2012, 17:28   #18

Quote:
To meet both.

Reality applies to everyone. It is what it is. We will all find out.

Claiming that you do not believe in something will not change reality.
If I don't believe in unicorns, santa clause, the tooth fairy, easter bunny, or any/all dieties. What's real to you may not be real to someone else. There is no "one" reality.

Quote:
Whatever. Believe what you want.

Last edited by 427; 05-15-2012 at 17:29..
Old 05-15-2012, 17:32   #19
Alizard

Quote:
If I don't believe in unicorns, santa clause, the tooth fairy, easter bunny, or any/all dieties. What's real to you may not be real to someone else. There is no "one" reality.
That statement is a non-sequitur of galactic proportions. You may dispute what reality is, you can not dispute that there IS a reality.

Quote:
reality (n)

bing.com
re·al·i·ty
[ ree állətee ]

1. real existence: actual being or existence, as opposed to an imaginary, idealized, or false nature
  2. all that exists or happens: everything that actually does or could exist or happen in real life
Old 05-15-2012, 17:42   #20
Syclone538

I would think most believers, believe their beliefs apply to everyone. Or at least everyone that has ever heard of their specific belief. For example, I don't think that many believers believe that infants that die are doomed because they didn't believe in the "correct" religion.

How do they know? They don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote