Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2012, 15:37   #1
grandkodiak

Beretta 92 Vertec not cycling with 15+1

If I do a tactical reload with a fresh 15 mag with one in the chamber, it will fire, then fail to feed the next round, everytime.

What should I be looking for? New spring, excessive wear, dirt, oil type change, magazine problem etc...

Last edited by grandkodiak; 05-15-2012 at 16:13..
grandkodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 15:47   #2
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

load the mag to 14
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 16:12   #3
grandkodiak

I don't ecounter a problem with failing to feed with 14 round loaded magazine tactical reloads, so how would that help me solve the problem encountered with 15 round loaded magazine tactical reloads? Flamers, trolls, smart-asses unwelcome.

Last edited by grandkodiak; 05-15-2012 at 16:12..
Old 05-15-2012, 16:55   #4
Veedubklown

How is it jamming? Is it short-cycling, nose-diving the rounds, etc?
Old 05-15-2012, 17:00   #5
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Does it do it with every magazine? IE, different ones?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 17:00   #6
PlasticGuy

It would help if you describe the malfunction. What exactly is it doing? Also, does it do the same thing with every magazine and type of ammo you have?
Old 05-15-2012, 18:10   #7
grandkodiak

3 different magazines, they all do it. Carry ammo Federal HP's and cheaper jacketed American Eagle both did it. I didn't get to really examin it during the drill, but it doesnt lock forward in battery... it looks/feels like it does while firing, but once you pull the trigger, nothing but a click. I didn't get to play around with it at the range do lack of time between phases. This is the first time we did a drill with fresh mags as backups, so for the 3+ years I've been using it its functioned fine without a single jam/missfire, but only ever fired from empty to fresh 15, or from partial to partial, never fresh 15 with 1 still in the pipe. Feedramp was clean at the time. Wish I could descripe it more, but thats all I have to go on for now, it'll be another 3 weeks or so before I'll have time to bring it to a private range to test it... for now I'm back to my faithfull glock... which now that I'm thinking, I've never tried it 15+1 either!

Last edited by grandkodiak; 05-15-2012 at 18:13..
Old 05-15-2012, 18:16   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Just my opinion, but I never load to +1
Too damn much tension on the mag release, Beretta, Glock....any pistol.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 18:29   #9
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
3 different magazines, they all do it. Carry ammo Federal HP's and cheaper jacketed American Eagle both did it. I didn't get to really examin it during the drill, but it doesnt lock forward in battery... it looks/feels like it does while firing, but once you pull the trigger, nothing but a click. I didn't get to play around with it at the range do lack of time between phases. This is the first time we did a drill with fresh mags as backups, so for the 3+ years I've been using it its functioned fine without a single jam/missfire, but only ever fired from empty to fresh 15, or from partial to partial, never fresh 15 with 1 still in the pipe. Feedramp was clean at the time. Wish I could descripe it more, but thats all I have to go on for now, it'll be another 3 weeks or so before I'll have time to bring it to a private range to test it... for now I'm back to my faithfull glock... which now that I'm thinking, I've never tried it 15+1 either!
Mags feed slowest when fully loaded, and it may not have quite enough spring tension to get it fully into position with the 15th round in it. Even more likely, the recoil spring may not have enough power to strip that round out of the fully loaded mag, and still overcome the friction of feeding fully into the chamber. I would replace both the mag and recoil springs. Also, don't forget to scrub the chamber.
Old 05-15-2012, 18:35   #10
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. A combat handgun that is properly designed is intended to be loaded +1.

To the OP, I have shot quite a bit of rounds out of the 92 models and none have ever had a problem with being loaded +1.

There are three things you need to consider. Spring, lube, and ammo.

It sounds like you need a new recoil spring. Its a cheap fix, usually around $7-10 bucks. I replace the recoil spring yearly in my guns that see the most range time.

Take your pick: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...+recoil+spring

Might as well order a few, the S&H is gonna be the same whether you get 1 or 12.

Lube. Lots of it. I prefer grease on alloy frame guns. Nothing fancy. Just good old automotive white lithium or Hoppes gun grease works well. The Berettas are notoriously under-lubed. In my experience they run better heavily lubed. I bet a quality grease lubricant would fix the problem without even replacing the spring, but go ahead and do it anyway. I keep a very light coat when carrying the gun, but slab on a good dab before hitting the range.

Also keep in mind the Berettas are European. They like hot ammo. You wouldn't put 87 octane in your Ferarri so dont run 115g 9mm in your Vertec. The ones I have owned run best on 124-147g ammo. I would have random stovepipes with weak 115g ammo.

The 92 Vertecs are a great gun I hope it get running again.

Last edited by collim1; 05-15-2012 at 18:43..
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 20:33   #11
grandkodiak

I've been using CLP at the range as a quick clean, then tw25 from the syringe on my sig and glock, but not my carry yet. ill give that a whirl first before the spring, but the spring is atleast 3 years old then, guess its a good replacement time anyway especially for the money!
Old 05-15-2012, 20:54   #12
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. A combat handgun that is properly designed is intended to be loaded +1.
Ok,........so you disagree.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19   #13
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
I've been using CLP at the range as a quick clean, then tw25 from the syringe on my sig and glock, but not my carry yet. ill give that a whirl first before the spring, but the spring is atleast 3 years old then, guess its a good replacement time anyway especially for the money!
Make sure you also lube the locking block. Speaking of which, check the locking block for any signs of cracks. Strange problem, I have two Vertecs and they have been 100%. Hope you work this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
The 15 round Beretta magazine was designed (overkill perhaps) to not be overloaded. The indentations at the bottom are limiters, to limit the magazines capacity and keep from over compressing the spring. Later they learned with modern springs, they can be made to work reliably without limiters, maximizing their capacity.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59   #14
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
I don't ecounter a problem with failing to feed with 14 round loaded magazine tactical reloads, so how would that help me solve the problem encountered with 15 round loaded magazine tactical reloads? Flamers, trolls, smart-asses unwelcome.

Don't load to 15 and you won't have the problem.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote