Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2012, 20:45   #1
DirtyPete

Holster or Not

Does anyone conceal carry without a holster? As in just tucking it into your waistband? What are the benefits to using a concealed holster? I could see for comfort reasons for hours of carrying or style of clothing being worn, but my G23 feels real good tucked onto my hip. I just think adding a holster would add bulk to the area. I was just wondering since I've been shopping around for one.

I've been thinking about the Supertuck Deluxe, but how about some thoughts on the "locking" holsters. Thanks!

(I should mention I would not have one in the chamber if carrying without a holster. Just my preference.)

Last edited by DirtyPete; 05-15-2012 at 20:56..
DirtyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 21:04   #2
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

Carry Issues
Old 05-15-2012, 21:20   #3
DirtyPete

Yeah, Mexican carry! Straight in the Tighty Whities. I got a few extra pounds on me, 6'3" 265lb, so it molds right in there. I know it could slip out and it's not very good protection for the gun, but just running to the store or out and about for a short period? Just looking for some thoughts.
Old 05-15-2012, 21:28   #4
Just_plinking

HAHA, No offense to anyone, but I don't see this thread going anywhere good. I'm going to take the bait and proceed anyway.

What's wrong with pocket carrying, without a holster, a da/sa semi auto such as a ppk or bersa style gun with a round in the chamber, decocked and locked?

I'm safety conscious, but it seems legit to me.

Edit: To the op, if serial, most people wouldn't have a glock or any other striker fired gun w/o an external safety anywhere but in their hand or in a properly fitting holster that covers the trigger IFF there is a round in the chamber, much less stuck in their pants. If you are really putting it there, better make damn sure the chamber is clear, but even so it's considered to be a bad practice in general (could fall out/ should carry chambered)

Last edited by Just_plinking; 05-15-2012 at 21:35..
Just_plinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 21:33   #5
ScottieG59

I expect this is a late April Fool's joke. Of course, we have seen many who stuff guns in their pants. Sometimes the shoot their private parts, hips, legs, feet or abdomen. Sometimes they lose their guns as they move or sit.

A couple months ago, a man shot himself just adjusting his position in the driver's seat. His children witness their dad bleed out and die before their eyes.

One does not get too many chances to be wrong with a loaded gun.

Of course, the Glock, with the standard 5.5 lb trigger is very dangerous without a holster.

I admit, there were times I carried my J frame Smith & Wesson in a pocket when I was just checking around the house. It has a heavy trigger pull. Today, I would, at least, use a pocket holster.

Out there in fly-over country...
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 21:35   #6
DirtyPete

Carry Issues
Old 05-15-2012, 21:37   #7
ronin.45

Since condition three is useless and condition one is dangerous without a holster, I'm gonna say no.
Old 05-15-2012, 21:37   #8
Just_plinking

and.... done
Old 05-15-2012, 21:53   #9
slickt0mmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
Since condition three is useless and condition one is dangerous without a holster, I'm gonna say no.
There's your answer. End thread.
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 16:38   #10
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPete View Post
Does anyone conceal carry without a holster? As in just tucking it into your waistband? What are the benefits to using a concealed holster? I could see for comfort reasons for hours of carrying or style of clothing being worn, but my G23 feels real good tucked onto my hip. I just think adding a holster would add bulk to the area. I was just wondering since I've been shopping around for one.

I've been thinking about the Supertuck Deluxe, but how about some thoughts on the "locking" holsters. Thanks!

(I should mention I would not have one in the chamber if carrying without a holster. Just my preference.)
I carry my G17 at 11 o'clock with it securely tucked behind my waist belt. It works well here in VT.
Old 05-16-2012, 16:57   #11
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Best of both worlds: http://www.remoraholsters.com/

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 17:13   #12
Dolomite
Glock Bhagwan

Some people, well, a lot of people I guess, find that holsters make great gun holders.

It sounds crazy, I know...
Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 17:31   #13
bulletandgrunt

Come on, no one remebers the thread on Ho Carry?
bulletandgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23   #14
Rcsteffen

I'd use a MIC at the very least.
Rcsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07   #15
HK Dan

IF you're serious...What are the benefits of using a holster? Gee, lemme think...not shooting yourself in the pecker or the femoral artery, not dropping the gun as it worms it's way out, not having controls on the gun mysteriously operated by your clothing, like safeties and mag releases,not having the gun migrate to new locations while you move, but stay in one predictable place (I know, boring).

Are ya stupid?

Dan
Old 05-17-2012, 11:17   #16
truetopath

I don't know about you but I love the thrill of almost putting bullet holes in my pooper, and nearly blowing my junk off, but hey I'm an adrenaline junky

Ok, clearly I'm just kidding...find a good holster and you won't even know it's there, not using a holster in my book is just reckless.
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05   #17
DirtyPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
IF you're serious...What are the benefits of using a holster? Gee, lemme think...not shooting yourself in the pecker or the femoral artery, not dropping the gun as it worms it's way out, not having controls on the gun mysteriously operated by your clothing, like safeties and mag releases,not having the gun migrate to new locations while you move, but stay in one predictable place (I know, boring).

Are ya stupid?

Dan
No, Dan, I don't consider myself stupid and I don't think my question was either, but thanks for asking. Anyways....

Thanks for the info everyone. I have a little time to find a cc holster. Waiting for my Delaware cc license. I've had them in other states, but DE is a JOKE.

Last edited by DirtyPete; 05-17-2012 at 12:11..
Old 05-17-2012, 12:10   #18
ZO6Vettever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPete View Post
Carry Issues
I can never erase this image Pete. You have ruined my image that a woman packin' heat was hot.

Remember, we're all on the same side!

Army Vet Dec 1965 - Dec 1971
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 14:25   #19
DirtyPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
I can never erase this image Pete. You have ruined my image that a woman packin' heat was hot.

Sorry... Just thought I'd have my wife demonstrate what I was talkin about.

Joking!

Last edited by DirtyPete; 05-17-2012 at 16:23..
Old 05-17-2012, 16:30   #20
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

I only do it with a tuned single action revolver, hammer back and properly positioned appendix carry pointed directly at my junk.

OP you specified that you would not be carrying with one in the chamber, so okay there is less danger there of an AD/ND in your pants, as long as you are always meticulous about the condition the weapon is in. However, in the freakishly unlikely event that you need to fire the weapon, you will have no place to safely holster the now loaded weapon.

You would be in a position where after the event you would have to drop the mag, clear the weapon, close slide, replace mag, put back in pants, etc. I don't think that's so hot. That's why I also don"t cotton to the idea of the MIC holster and the like, but it's better than nothing, especially if you were to carry chamber loaded.

If you need something thin for IWB I would look at the Blade-Tech Phantom or Nano, the Raven Concealment, Comp-Tac MTAC, FIST or things like that. Styles made from Kydex with loops offset from the holster body are going to be about as thin as you get in most cases. Or the Remora holster. A lot of people seem to like them.

No doubt that carrying without a holster, appendix position is likely one of the fastest draws, but it still probably won't be fast enough for you to draw and chamber during an up close and personal encounter if you should, really, really, really need that firearm - right now, and hope you have both hands free at that moment as well. Just some points to think over, but only carry chambered when you are ready and comfortable with it, and have a holster.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 05-17-2012 at 16:48..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote