Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2012, 14:08   #1
tacops5372

How far would you drive to shoot?

I've been busy liquidating my previous business in order to create a new one here in Texas. I'm going to get my FFL and open a gun shop with Outdoor range. I've gotten at least 2 friends involved in helping me accomplish this. But the issue is location location location?
DFW is out since there are so many now. So we are thinking east? Maybe between San Antonio and Houston? Even looked into South Texas by Corpus Christi area. But in order for me to do this with a pistol/shotgun, rifle range and skeet. Not to include a 100 yard archery range setup as well. I'm gonna need some land outside city limits. So just a few questions? More like a poll? (Keep in mind if you are out of state please note to put state in number 2 question) We would think about moving out of state as well if it was profitable enough...

1. How far would you drive to go to a good outdoor range with good pricing and customer service?

2. What city are you in?

3. Would you deal with a more expensive setup or no so good customer service to save gas?

4. What do you consider decent pricing?

Thanks to all my fellow GT'rs out there...

Last edited by tacops5372; 05-16-2012 at 14:33..
tacops5372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 14:53   #2
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

1. How far would you drive to go to a good outdoor range with good pricing and customer service? 45 minutes (but I only shoot about once a month)

2. What city are you in? Cleveland, OH

3. Would you deal with a more expensive setup or no so good customer service to save gas? Would be willing to drive extra for better service - frankly not that concerned about gas prices.

4. What do you consider decent pricing? $15 - $20 per hour.
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
- Rudyard Kipling, 1919

jeanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 15:04   #3
Dan Glock

You should look into making it in deep south Texas, McAllen,Mission,Edinburg area is probably the fastest growing community in the entire US. No FFLs with ranges much less a rental range. Just plain old gun shops and shooting ranges. I think a great competitive advantage you may have here is having a gun shop where you can actually shoot then and there.

there are at least a half dozen well know gun shops around and of course your walmarts and academys, but only one bass pro shop for 2 million plus in a 120 miles range is significant I think. This community is booming here except housing is pretty stable but retail is very strong.

I myself am a business owner and entrepreneur and this is something I might be interested ib helping you with.
Old 05-16-2012, 15:06   #4
Dan Glock

there are at least two-three gun clubs and maybe 3 actual shooting ranges, besides all the ranches
Old 05-16-2012, 15:15   #5
bac1023

I've driven up to an hour to shoot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 15:36   #6
tacops5372

Actually took a trip to Alice Tx, last week. But it didnt go as planned. But yeah deep south like McAllen is somthing we are considering.....
Old 05-16-2012, 16:12   #7
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I drive 400 miles round trip to shoot at Camp Perry.
You can't find a better range.

My local private club is about three miles away, but they only have a 200 yard max range for rifles. They do have trap fields, four pistol ranges with one being for rimfire only.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 16:19   #8
WarEagle32

I would and have driven no more than 45 minutes. For an indoor range maybe an hour!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 16:27   #9
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Stay in DFW, and build a range north of Ft. Worth that allows drawing and firing, firing on the move, separate (private!) tactical bays, long range rifle range, etc. Base it on Best of the West north of Austin.

DFW is in dire need of a GOOD range. Quality over quantity

I'd drive under an hour to shoot, which is about the distance I was from BotW when I lived in Austin.

Last edited by MadMonkey; 05-16-2012 at 16:27..
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 16:52   #10
Bruce M

I'd drive 45 minutes for a good range. You are braver than am I. I would be concerned about the cost of the amount of land to do this right, and concerned about potential envirnomental, noise, and liability issues.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 16:56   #11
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

20-30 minutes to the indoor range, pistol only. I drive almost an hour to the outdoor range. I'll never stop kicking myself for moving into town. Used to shoot in the backyard.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 16:59   #12
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

I drive about 15 mins for an indoor firearm range.
20 mins to an indoor archery range. 50 mins to a 100m
outdoor, free range that always seems to be empty.
Never seen another shooter there,......during the week.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 17:04   #13
michael e

I am in houston, we have limited ranges with nice staff. We drive 45 mins to the shotgun range that actually has a good staff.
As for price range, do not charge me per gun, I can't stand that. I am taking up a lane either way.
For the price vs CS. I have a LGS less than 2 miles away that I will not go to because of the attitude I got from them when I wanted a 357sig ordered for me. By the time I walk into a gun shop I have already researched what I want, I understand some people ask about stuff , but when I tell you I want I don't need a spech about how it's not a smart choice. I now drive to a FFL over 20 miles away because he doesn't tell me I need a 45acp over GAP ect.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 17:07   #14
jlruiz32

San Antonio would be great, for me. We need more ranges here. Bass pro is about 15-20 minutes away depending on traffic. The outdoor ranges are about 30-45 minutes away.

Last edited by jlruiz32; 05-16-2012 at 17:09..
jlruiz32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 17:29   #15
tacops5372

One of my closest friends live north of Houston and when he told me about a range that wanted to charge per gun. I almost fell over. I started doing some research and others do the same if not worse like for their store used targets as well.. We will not be doing that!
One flat fee.. Discounts for LEO/FIRE/EMT Reserve and volunteer as well. (licensed security officers are welcomed.) If you take the CHL class from us for new or renewal, discounts as well on flate fee...
Old 05-16-2012, 17:33   #16
collim1
Shower Time!

Occasionally I drive 45miles to the closest indoor range If I planned on shooting and its raining or hot outside.

The charge $8 for the first hour and $6 for each additional, but honestly no matter how long I shoot they never charge me more than the initial $8.

The main concern is the gas, but if I leave the F150 at home and drive the wife's Civic its not that big of deal getting approx 35mpg.

They have a decent gun shop also, but since its across the state line I cant buy guns without doing a transfer so I generally dont buy from them. Its still fun to look though, they have a bigger selection than any gun shops in my city.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 18:16   #17
trashcat

How far would I drive to shoot? Well that depends on who a get to shoot when I get there.
The local outdoor range is in the town where I work, 8 miles away from my house. It belongs to a local gun club and there are no services you bring everything you need. It's only open to the public on weekends but it only costs $5 for the day. If a range master isn't available the range isn't open. I don't know where the nearest commercial outdoor range is but it's not within 200miles. Of course there are a couple good shooting spots out in the mountains about 40 miles away.
The local indoor pistol only range(small only 5 lanes) is 16 miles from my house an has great service. It's $12 for the day or you can buy a membership and come and go as you please. For me work is about half way between home and the range so I'll occasionally eat in the car and shoot a box or two at lunch time.
trashcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 18:31   #18
ScottieG59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacops5372 View Post
I've been busy liquidating my previous business in order to create a new one here in Texas. I'm going to get my FFL and open a gun shop with Outdoor range. I've gotten at least 2 friends involved in helping me accomplish this. But the issue is location location location?
DFW is out since there are so many now. So we are thinking east? Maybe between San Antonio and Houston? Even looked into South Texas by Corpus Christi area. But in order for me to do this with a pistol/shotgun, rifle range and skeet. Not to include a 100 yard archery range setup as well. I'm gonna need some land outside city limits. So just a few questions? More like a poll? (Keep in mind if you are out of state please note to put state in number 2 question) We would think about moving out of state as well if it was profitable enough...

1. How far would you drive to go to a good outdoor range with good pricing and customer service?

Perhaps 45 minutes at most.

2. What city are you in?

North Kansas City, KS

3. Would you deal with a more expensive setup or no so good customer service to save gas?

Cost matters as well as value. Bad customer service may also mean bad safety. I prefer to have some degree of range control in order to keep safety in line. I go to a state run range that is fairly good, but they do it by the numbers and there is no rapid fire or shooting while moving. It is pure marksmanship training with no practical shooting.. I would like more.

4. What do you consider decent pricing?

The state range costs $3 an hour and paper targets are free. I would pay more if I got more and did not have to wait in line. Also, it would be nice to do some more practical training. I would pay more if I got more.

Thanks to all my fellow GT'rs out there...

Out there in fly-over country...
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 19:35   #19
marv

My closest club range is 12 mi away in another state. I used to drive 50 mi to shoot USPSA. Closest place to shoot is a few steps outside the house.
Old 05-16-2012, 19:45   #20
CDR_Glock

20-25 minutes.

SW VA

I'm a member of a private club. I also shoot at an indoor range when it's too dark for outdoors or if it's raining.

My YouTube Channel:

Last edited by CDR_Glock; 05-16-2012 at 19:46..
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote