SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2012, 17:28   #1
Deaf Smith

S&W 66 2 1/2 with fixed sights

Guys,

I understand some state police force used 2 1/2 Combat Magnums, special ordered for S&W, with FIXED SIGHTS. Delaware?

Does anyone know if this is true? I understand it was a special order item just for that state police.

Thanks,

Deaf
Old 05-16-2012, 17:43   #2
countrygun

That would be a model 65
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 17:54   #3
Sgt127

I just went through the Standard Catalog of S&W. I can't find anything, and, it doesn't ring a bell to me.

There is the 19-P, 2 1/2" RB and 4" SB with fixed sights for export to Peru. Thats all I can find....

I'm a lightweight though, maybe the S&W Forum?
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 17:56   #4
Sgt127

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
That would be a model 65
Close, and, one of my favorite guns, but, never made in 2 1/2" and, no lug. Except the Ladysmith 65 had a lug
Old 05-16-2012, 18:11   #5
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt127 View Post
Close, and, one of my favorite guns, but, never made in 2 1/2" and, no lug. Except the Ladysmith 65 had a lug
OK this may be one of those like the model 520 ( I think that was it) the NYSP ordered. Fixed sight 27. On my 'Kick myself in the tail for not getting" list.
Old 05-16-2012, 18:11   #6
Bill Keith

There should be no difference in strength between the 66 and 65, since they have the same frame, cylinder and the part of the barrel that goes into the frame. It depends mostly on whether you prefer adjustable or fixed sights. The 65 can also be had with a three-inch barrel, while the 66's barrel length choices were 2.5, four and six inches. (A very few three-inch 66s have been made -- snag one if the price is right.) An advantage of the three-inch vs. the 2.5-inch will be readily apparent when you go to reload the gun -- the full length ejector rod makes it much easier to dump your cases, while the long magnum cases will often not clear with the snubby's shortened rod and you have to flick them the rest of the way out.

The "underlug" on the 66's barrel is really an ejector rod shroud, although it does add a little weight. Its primary purpose is to protect the rod (upon which the cylinder rotates and locks up) from being bent if the revolver is dropped or thrown on the ground, or used as a bludgeon (not uncommon with old-time cops; it was an old-time Border Patrol cop who proposed the original design
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 18:14   #7
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keith View Post
There should be no difference in strength between the 66 and 65, since they have the same frame, cylinder and the part of the barrel that goes into the frame. It depends mostly on whether you prefer adjustable or fixed sights. The 65 can also be had with a three-inch barrel, while the 66's barrel length choices were 2.5, four and six inches. (A very few three-inch 66s have been made -- snag one if the price is right.) An advantage of the three-inch vs. the 2.5-inch will be readily apparent when you go to reload the gun -- the full length ejector rod makes it much easier to dump your cases, while the long magnum cases will often not clear with the snubby's shortened rod and you have to flick them the rest of the way out.

The "underlug" on the 66's barrel is really an ejector rod shroud, although it does add a little weight. Its primary purpose is to protect the rod (upon which the cylinder rotates and locks up) from being bent if the revolver is dropped or thrown on the ground, or used as a bludgeon (not uncommon with old-time cops; it was an old-time Border Patrol cop who proposed the original design

the unshrouded rod could get bent if someone bumped their head on it.
Old 05-16-2012, 18:25   #8
pennlineman

I can't find anything on it either. Anything is possible with S&W. If such a gun was made it was probably a 65 fixed sight frame mated with a 19 barrel.
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 19:46   #9
Sgt127

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
OK this may be one of those like the model 520 ( I think that was it) the NYSP ordered. Fixed sight 27. On my 'Kick myself in the tail for not getting" list.
Yeah. I remember when those were pretty easy to find, and reasonable....

On the bright side, you can find them in mint condition all the time, I think everybody knew they were rare and kept them NIB.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19   #10
vafish

I remember back in the 80's when S&W was the gun of the week club with all sorts of variations coming out.

Anything is possible in their revolver line.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:31   #11
Bruce M

And don't forget the possibility that a gun was not stamped properly or over -stamped.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote