Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2012, 15:54   #1
Brucev

SA 1911 G.I. - Good Price?

Found a used SA GI 1911-A1 w/ one mag. for $425. Nothing else with it. Dealer not likely to go any lower. Good price?
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 16:08   #2
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Good price buy it

Good people sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 17:27   #3
bac1023

Seems like a good price these days, but what's the condition?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 17:41   #4
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Normally I've seen them for $600 used,......what's the condition?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 18:32   #5
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

As long as it wasn't beat to hell. That is a great price.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 18:34   #6
Brucev

Finish is about 95%. No dings, etc. SA wood grips. Barrel hood shows some marks due to cycling. No idiot mark that I can remember. No rust, etc. Beginning to get the idea I should have just went ahead and bought it. What to do? What to do?
Old 05-17-2012, 18:50   #7
glock2740
Gun lover.

Jump on it.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 19:05   #8
Troubled Gecko

I'd say that's a good price for a used Springfield GI. Make sure ya know what you're looking at and field strip if possible on premises.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.shtml Do your function and safety check.

Look for any modifications that might have been done as well like barrel bushing, trigger, hammer, safety or grip safety.

If the weapon is all original you'd be able to sell it without a problem.

Good luck.
Troubled Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:00   #9
Baba Louie

Get it and get it now! Seriously. As Springfield/Imbel are making them unavailable or scarce as hens teeth, look at some of the asking prices on gunbroker. Approaching 750-800?!?!

Supply... demand... <$500 pretty good price actually nowadays.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:00   #10
okie
GT Mayor

Got the bank, snatch that sucker up
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15   #11
Brucev

I done it! I done it! I done gone and done it! I got there about 9 a.m. My wife got the money out of her yarn money (she loves to knit) and I got it for $425 OTD. It is a plain Springfield Armory GI 1911-A1 w/ the A1 features, lanyard loop, etc. Trigger pull is crisp. No wear to sights. Does not show any sign of ever having been holster, etc. Grips are nice... very minor scuffs to the large diamonds and no damage/dings to the checkering. Pin that holds in mainspring housing shows no sign of ever being removed. Tiny bit of rust on lanyard loop is only thing I can find that is objectionable. Oddly, the tang on the grip safety is normal GI 1911-A1 profile. It is box stock yet the edges are not so sharp that they cut my hand when holding/using it. Very cool. To view pictures of this pistol click on the heading of the following link:

Last edited by Brucev; 05-18-2012 at 09:17..
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24   #12
Baba Louie

Way to go! Congrats!
Quote:
It is box stock yet the edges are not so sharp that they cut my hand when holding/using it.
Grip safety on these is not real user friendly for prolonged range sessions, as is or are the original 1911 warhorses... at least in my hands. I always get a good nasty rub on the web of shooting hand unless gloved or moleskin/bandaid placed there first. (on the web of paw, not the grip safety )

Just an FYI. of course YMMV (I suppose I could have mine worked over to smooth that out a bit with a dremil and a good bastard file... j/k or am I? )
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 16:40   #13
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
I done it! I done it! I done gone and done it! I got there about 9 a.m. My wife got the money out of her yarn money (she loves to knit) and I got it for $425 OTD. It is a plain Springfield Armory GI 1911-A1 w/ the A1 features, lanyard loop, etc. Trigger pull is crisp. No wear to sights. Does not show any sign of ever having been holster, etc. Grips are nice... very minor scuffs to the large diamonds and no damage/dings to the checkering. Pin that holds in mainspring housing shows no sign of ever being removed. Tiny bit of rust on lanyard loop is only thing I can find that is objectionable. Oddly, the tang on the grip safety is normal GI 1911-A1 profile. It is box stock yet the edges are not so sharp that they cut my hand when holding/using it. Very cool. To view pictures of this pistol click on the heading of the following link: 033 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Congratulations

Why is the grip safety odd?
It should be the GI style as found on any other GI or Milspec.

Anyway I have been very happy with my GI.
I have found it to be 100% reliable with all sorts of ammo. I have not had a single malfunction yet.

Old 05-18-2012, 17:13   #14
prez1967

now thats a good deal!
prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 17:14   #15
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

A S/A GI, assembled in USA, for $425.That is AWESOME ! Nice score...
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 17:47   #16
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Congratulations

Why is the grip safety odd?
It should be the GI style as found on any other GI or Milspec.

Anyway I have been very happy with my GI.
I have found it to be 100% reliable with all sorts of ammo. I have not had a single malfunction yet.
It is odd in that the edges are not as very sharp as I've seen them. It's like the edges of the tang where it bears on the web of the hand are slightly "soft," i.e., like the part was tumbled prior to finishing and fitting.

It will be a while before I will get to go to take this pistol to the range. I am in the midst of packing my office in preparation for moving to a new pastoral assignment. Once I get situated, there will be time to run it through its paces at the range. From all the good things everyone has said about SA 1911's, I expect this GI will give very good service.
Old 05-18-2012, 18:46   #17
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
It is odd in that the edges are not as very sharp as I've seen them. It's like the edges of the tang where it bears on the web of the hand are slightly "soft," i.e., like the part was tumbled prior to finishing and fitting.

It will be a while before I will get to go to take this pistol to the range. I am in the midst of packing my office in preparation for moving to a new pastoral assignment. Once I get situated, there will be time to run it through its paces at the range. From all the good things everyone has said about SA 1911's, I expect this GI will give very good service.
Ah.

I have yet to run into one that was over sharp.
Come to think of it. I haven't run into a gun yet that has all the sharp edges some people talk about.

Old 05-18-2012, 21:21   #18
bac1023

Quote:
Finish is about 95%. No dings, etc. SA wood grips. Barrel hood shows some marks due to cycling. No idiot mark that I can remember. No rust, etc. Beginning to get the idea I should have just went ahead and bought it. What to do? What to do?
In that case, grab it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 05-18-2012, 21:22   #19
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
In that case, grab it.
My bad. I see you already did.

Congrats!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:26   #20
Spats McGee

Nice! Congratulations.
Spats McGee is offline   Reply With Quote