Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2012, 17:59   #1
humphreys19

Staked front sight

OK, mostly a venting post. Gave my pet 1911 to a local "gunsmith" to install new sights. Selected a STI tactical adjustable rear sight, and left the front sight choice to the alleged "gunsmith", telling him I wanted a black on black sight picture.
OK, the rear sight is good, he had to cut a larger dovetail, and it seems fine, except he scratched the sight installing it. The front sight, though........ He claims no one had one the right height, so he made one....... also claims that he silver soldered it in place as well as staking it.
Well, after about 200 rounds, the front sight is loose. Loose, loose, loose. Loose like a kid's tooth about to come out.
I will not go back to that "gunsmith", so I guess I will learn how to stake a 1911 front sight myself.
Does no one take pride in their work anymore?
humphreys19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:59   #2
CA_DUDE
Dude here.

Apparently staking is a lost art. I had a hell of a time with my '91 Gov and commander just finding someone who could get the factory replacement sight staked. At this point in the game I go with dovetailed sights cause staked sights are a stupid thing to lose your sanity on. It's a shame really. Maybe it should be the bench mark of a good pistol smith; proof that you can stake an MF'ing sight.
CA_DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:22   #3
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreys19 View Post
OK, mostly a venting post. Gave my pet 1911 to a local "gunsmith" to install new sights. Selected a STI tactical adjustable rear sight, and left the front sight choice to the alleged "gunsmith", telling him I wanted a black on black sight picture.
OK, the rear sight is good, he had to cut a larger dovetail, and it seems fine, except he scratched the sight installing it. The front sight, though........ He claims no one had one the right height, so he made one....... also claims that he silver soldered it in place as well as staking it.
Well, after about 200 rounds, the front sight is loose. Loose, loose, loose. Loose like a kid's tooth about to come out.
I will not go back to that "gunsmith", so I guess I will learn how to stake a 1911 front sight myself.
Does no one take pride in their work anymore?
Voodoo gunsmith work is never a good thing.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:47   #4
dakrat

Brownells carry the front staking tools you would need.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:13   #5
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

we build them at the shop and supply Brownells and a few other folk
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote